Catch can ideas.

joshcarp81

Established Member
Been running open cam cover breathers since I've owned my car. Which has been about two years or so. Hated how much oil was inside intake and blah blah blah. Anyways I ripped out all egr and the other crap. Well it's never really bothered me about the slight amount of oil I got out of the open breathers in this time.
Now that I bought one of Steve's at TF carbon hoods some of the fine mist is making its way onto my windshield which is not cool. So I'm ditching the open breathers and going to a Bob's Auto sport catch can (or possibly another if someone has one they highly recommend) along with black stainless lines and an fittings. Planning on installing in the fender, low for access. Any ideas I am welcome to. Just no bashing or I shouldn't do this crap. I'm doing it and would like input on what everyone else with a similar setup has done.
Post some pics of what you've done as well if you'd like.
Thanks everyone!

s351

Established Member
Put my catch can behind my front bumper cover on the passenger side. All's I have to do is reach under turn and its empty. A little bit drips on the inside of the cover but works great in my opinion and if I really need to access it 4 nuts and some push pins and the bumper cover comes off.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Homemade...
017.jpg

018-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't run a catch can, but an oil separator. I had very little success with the JLT separator so I've been looking for alternatives. I found a company called Elite Engineering that make separator for some newer mustangs, but mostly GM. I ended up using there universal hockey puck style bracket and with little modifications I made it work.

I got sick and tired of oil going past the separator and into my blower and plenum. I'm still in the testing process with this newer setup as this is my first summer running it. But I will tell you this, it's working 100% better than the JLT. It has caught a lot more oil and my plenum looks dry! Zero sitting oil. Some don't like the way it looks and having all that extra hoses running around, but I was looking more for function over looks.

Here is a picture comparing 3 of them. Bobs is on the left, Elite middle, and JLT right. Notice how small the JLT is.
IMAG1442_zpsdt1t45mi.jpg

Here's the Elite mounted.
IMAG1467_zpse70xfwl2.jpg

IMAG1122_zpsd8oz4els.jpg

IMAG1126_zpsqw5dadmi.jpg

joshcarp81

Established Member
did you try the bobs? or is that just a shot by someone else?
I've never messed with an fittings and thought this would be a nice little project to try em out on.
I would have never tried the jlt based on what feedback I could find about it.
I guess bobs is technically a separator as well.
I like where both of you guys mounted yours. I'll probably route my lines the same as 694 did but mount it in the fender. I may be way off here til I start planning. still in the getting ideas phase. what's the cost on the elite can?

joshcarp81

Established Member
what fittings did u use in the cam covers? I was hoping to find something that didn't need adapters for a cleaner look but haven't found anything other than doing like you did. so it's either that or keep looking through countless pages of fittings!! good grief.

R3dfireCobra

Established Member
They are just threaded AN fittings that you can thread into the rubber grommets, the factory does the same thing except with a plastic fitting. If I remember right that is a UPR piece, one of the few products I will actually use of theirs. Its a very nice machined piece.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I ran Bob's separator in my 01. It works really good IMO. Once I installed it my intake stayed dry. Even after the engine popped a head gasket the intake was bone dry. I'm planning on installing it in my 04 one of these days.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
did you try the bobs? or is that just a shot by someone else?
I've never messed with an fittings and thought this would be a nice little project to try em out on.
I would have never tried the jlt based on what feedback I could find about it.
I guess bobs is technically a separator as well.
I like where both of you guys mounted yours. I'll probably route my lines the same as 694 did but mount it in the fender. I may be way off here til I start planning. still in the getting ideas phase. what's the cost on the elite can?

That picture of all 3 is mine. I couldn't make the bobs fit anywhere to my satisfactory. The elite was quite spendy, but well worth it imo. I think with the bracket is was around 200 dollars. But it works.

joshcarp81

Established Member
I think I'm leaning towards giving Bob's a call tomorrow and tell them what I'm wanting to do. Especially if the elite is 200......yeeesh. lol.

R3dfireCobra

Established Member
An10, if I remember right. I fabbed all the lines myself, came out really clean and im happy with it. Just need a spot for the breather, of course my battery is located in the trunk which helped.

Last edited:

R3dfireCobra

Established Member
Ok, I found the parts list I used to put mine together...

(2) -10AN make flare to 1/2 NPT
(1) 90 degree swivel -10AN
(1) 120 degree swivel -10AN
(2) -10 AN straight
(7ft) -10AN black nylon braided line
(1) -10AN T fitting male to male female

joshcarp81

Established Member
so u used the 1/2" npt to thread into factory grommets then used the 90° on the back driver side and the 120 on front passenger side
cool thanks. I started making a list as well.
I'll also use the
(2) -10 an to 1/2" npt
(2) 90°
(1) y
(1) straight
(1) -10 an to 3/8" npt
bobs catch can
unknown amount of black nylon braided hose until I start looking where I want to mount the catch can.
thanks again for all the help guys. keep the ideas coming as I haven't bought anything yet!

Users who are viewing this thread