Catch can fills up super fast!

Stanger00

Established Member
I wonder how much that baffle upgrade works? It's a shame because imop these are the only decent valve covers for sohc engines.
The upgrade is only for the early covers and summit sells the kit for 44 bucks and it includes crap I don't need that drive the cost up. I'm going to send an email to TFS with my old summit invoice when I purchased their covers and see if they will just send me the plates and nuts and bolts for my covers. I shouldn't have to pay to fix a manufacture defect.

DetroitMuscle99

Established Member
Well I ended up deleting pcv valve and catch cans, capped off vacum ports and ran breathers. Got rid of the smoke on start up. However today I got on it for the first time since pcv delete and oil got all over my valve covers and headers causing a big smoke cloud for 5 minutes. So I'm guessing I have major issues or what? This is crazy. No codes beside evap purge control solenoid circuit.

ben_gone

Jigsaw
Established Member
OP has one of those tiny clear plastic oil/water separator things not a giant moroso breather tank hooked up as a separator.

OP didn't say he had a blower. I do. My Vortech is fine. Owned it since 2005 and it was rebuilt in 2011 when I built my motor. It's the valve covers. It's a known issue. Some are worse than others.

its seems that way. I have no experience with said valve covers. was just trying to be a happy helper :idea:

04cammedcobra

Established Member
Boosted engines cause pressure in crankcase.on my turbo mustang I added 2 big breathers 1 on each valve cover and had your problem. There is no way to get rid of the crankcase pressure, only thing you can do is control the oil. I used this stuff at my local hot rod shop to stop it. It was like a metal mesh that I cut up and put in under the breathers to catch the oil but still allow the air out.

Look at all big hp cars out there and some of them actually pump the air out. Or use the exhaust as a vacume to get it out.

No way any seals would cause oil to come out at the pcv port. Valve seals or blower seals would cause it only directly into the cylinders. Still could be happening but not causing it threw the pcv system. Your valve and blower seals are probably fine and you learned that by removing the pcv system.

If power is good then hard to believe your getting a massive amount of blow by to cause it.

Pcv - positive crankcase ventalation. Has to be there especially when boost is present!!

Post up what ever you do to control it!!

Last edited:

04cammedcobra

Established Member
The other covers might have a better baffling system to keep oil in and air out so that still might be a fix. Not trying to discredit that idea - FYI

Users who are viewing this thread