Catch Can Clarity

adova

Established Member
After pulling my Inter Cooler apart, I see the need for a catch can setup (I think). Currently, the car is set up with breathers on both valve covers. I have seen vids that talk about using a catch can with the PCV stock but I am having a hard time understanding where I am running lines for a system where the delete is already done.

1 or 2 catch cans? Dual port JLT?

Thanks...

Slippery Nut

Established Member
After pulling my Inter Cooler apart, I see the need for a catch can setup (I think). Currently, the car is set up with breathers on both valve covers. I have seen vids that talk about using a catch can with the PCV stock but I am having a hard time understanding where I am running lines for a system where the delete is already done.

1 or 2 catch cans? Dual port JLT?

Thanks...
Whats the advantage? If your running twin breathers, you should be taking zero crankcase vapors through the intake.

Sent from my XT1254 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

adova

Established Member
Understood, but I would still like to use catch cans if that can help to avoid the engine bay misting and smells.

adova

Established Member
Most of what I see has 2 ports, though, an "in" and "out" for routing back to the intake. Do I just plug the other side? Or use something more application specific?

Slippery Nut

Established Member
A breather oil can advise understand it, has two lines (one from each can cover) to the tank where it operates like a catch can but instead of vacuum, its crankcase pressure that pushes the vapors into the can where it condenses and theoretically cleaner air exits through the breather filter. What your suggesting sounds like a typical vacuum catch can that will catch most of the oil vapors, but not all of it. Open breathers are more effective, but will must the engine with oil vapors over time. I run open breathers and my engine stays clean.

Sent from my XT1254 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Understood, but I would still like to use catch cans if that can help to avoid the engine bay misting and smells.

Catch cans don't do anything for smell. It'll stop your breathers from messing oil on the valve covers etc. though.

Users who are viewing this thread