Catch Can -AN line size

rcjewells

Established Member
I have a 2.8KB at 17psi on a stock long block and am getting some oil residue on my throttle body. I'm going to install a remote catch can breather setup. For most of the setups I've seen, it looks like people have used -10AN lines (or 5/8" hose). I'm looking for opinions to see if that is adequate for 18psi or if it would be wise to just go with -12AN line. Also, are there any other factors that could play a roll in going with larger line? e.g. installing more aggressive cams

04 TERMINATOR

Established Member
Not sure if this helps. I have a catch can on my stock eaton (stock boost) just because I hated the fact of having oil coating my intake tube. I believe the kit came with 5/8" tubing. This size tubing is apparently working because it seems to be catching majority of the crap. Intake tube has been clean ever since. I only have the catch can for the driver side, which if I recall 80% of the PCV oil residue comes from. I might do a JLT pre filter in the future on the passenger side. (depending on what my whipple setup will be) This is the catch can Accurate Machine Works

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
You can use a Russel 3/4"barb to -12an union to connect an AN fitting to the valve covers. -12AN is the correct size.

Or is it -10? I know the valve cover fitting is a 3/4" barb.

rcjewells

Established Member
You can use a Russel 3/4"barb to -12an union to connect an AN fitting to the valve covers. -12AN is the correct size.

Or is it -10? I know the valve cover fitting is a 3/4" barb.

You got it right the first time... the ID of the grommet in the valve cover is 3/4". The -12AN and the 3/4" barb should be the same size (-12 AN = 12/16th i.e. 3/4), so I'm just going to use a -12 to -12 coupler since it looks like it should be easier on the rubber of the grommet.

I have a buddy with a procharged camaro (355 ci). He's running 2 catch cans and seems to think only running 1 will be to restrictive. I haven't seen many 2 catch can setups on here, anyone have thoughts on that?

Tractionless1

Established Member
You got it right the first time... the ID of the grommet in the valve cover is 3/4". The -12AN and the 3/4" barb should be the same size (-12 AN = 12/16th i.e. 3/4), so I'm just going to use a -12 to -12 coupler since it looks like it should be easier on the rubber of the grommet.

I have a buddy with a procharged camaro (355 ci). He's running 2 catch cans and seems to think only running 1 will be to restrictive. I haven't seen many 2 catch can setups on here, anyone have thoughts on that?

Saw Jared's (Lethal) 4.0l Whippled Terminator a couple of weeks ago, 1 catch can. Those are my thoughts. :coolman:

rcjewells

Established Member
Saw Jared's (Lethal) 4.0l Whippled Terminator a couple of weeks ago, 1 catch can. Those are my thoughts. :coolman:

Any idea of what flow rate or psi the PCV delete system will see? I'm just trying to get an idea if -12 is overkill or not. It's not like you can really put one size on and verify that it's adequate since there's no way of knowing if the system has backpressure from being too restrictive and is not adequately venting.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Any idea of what flow rate or psi the PCV delete system will see? I'm just trying to get an idea if -12 is overkill or not. It's not like you can really put one size on and verify that it's adequate since there's no way of knowing if the system has backpressure from being too restrictive and is not adequately venting.

No idea, I'm not interested in going said route. Give Lethal a call and ask about the setup in their Terminator. -12AN seems small compared to what I saw which looked like vacuum cleaner hose!

Users who are viewing this thread