Catback for an '09 Grand Marquis?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
My mother (in her mid 70s) has just informed me she wants an aggressive exhaust. She drives an '09 Grand Marquis.
Bit of a background story, but my dad worked for Ford for 35+ years and always had nice cars with loud exhaust (even back when they started dating in the 1960s). My mother always loved the exhaust and V8s. All her cars have always had some form of aftermarket exhaust. Well now my father has been very sick the last few years (dementia) and has been in a hospital. My mom misses the loud bark of his (and her own) V8.

She says she wants that "50s sound". She likes it pretty loud, but please nothing with an annoying drone. She also wants some chrome/polished tips out the back.
Can we keep in under $600 if possible. Id like to grab her a catback for Christmas.

Thanks guys. Mods if this is in the wrong area, I apologize and feel free to move it along to the correct spot.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Damn that ADTR site doesn't exactly sell anything "Budget friendly". Are there any other options?

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Nope, very small market. And they only make them for certain years. I was at the Turkey Night Grand Prix last Thursday and was sitting next to the owner of ADTR. Good guy too. Really into Panther cars as you might guess.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
First off - your Mom is cool!

Second - I'm sorry about your Dad - sadly, my wife's side has a lot of experience with dementia.

What about looking on the Marauder forum? Guessing they'd fit well? The polished tips would look great. Might find take-off duals there. You could replace the Marauder mufflers with something louder if needed.

08mojo

Established Member
I think your best bet is to have a local muffler shop swap the mufflers out for something louder or by yourself/friends if you have a welder.

If you're close to Atlanta, GA I'd help you swap the mufflers for something more aggressive.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I would replace the mufflers with Flowmaster 50 series if she doens't want it too annoying.

Here's one with FM Super 44's

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I think your best bet is to have a local muffler shop swap the mufflers out for something louder or by yourself/friends if you have a welder.

If you're close to Atlanta, GA I'd help you swap the mufflers for something more aggressive.
This right here.

A good muffler shop should be able to weld in new mufflers and tips with no problem.

It takes way more than a catback exhaust on that car to make any noticeable change in power, so unless grammy is wanting to go forced induction, then a full catback isn't worth its cost. A good set of mufflers and tips will do just fine.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for all the help guys. I was hoping for a nice clean catback. Her car is CLEAN with under 30k miles.
If weld ins are the best option, I guess I'll go that route. Think some Magnaflows would do the trick? Then maybe some Magnaflow tips? Most of the catbacks I see don't have tips, the exhaust turns down at the bumper. I'm not sure if welding some tips on is that easy.

I took a quick look in the Marauder section here before posting, but its like a ghost town.

And yes, my mom (Grammy) is cool. Her favorite car she ever owned was a 55 T-Bird, black with red/white interior. Dad blew it up at New England Dragway while they were dating.:rolleyes:

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Thanks for all the help guys. I was hoping for a nice clean catback. Her car is CLEAN with under 30k miles.
If weld ins are the best option, I guess I'll go that route. Think some Magnaflows would do the trick? Then maybe some Magnaflow tips? Most of the catbacks I see don't have tips, the exhaust turns down at the bumper. I'm not sure if welding some tips on is that easy.

I took a quick look in the Marauder section here before posting, but its like a ghost town.

And yes, my mom (Grammy) is cool. Her favorite car she ever owned was a 55 T-Bird, black with red/white interior. Dad blew it up at New England Dragway while they were dating.:rolleyes:
Just ask the 4.6L Mustang guys which sounds best

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
You won't find a new catback for 600 bucks, sorry but our aftermarket sucks way too much for that.

Weld in's are your cheapest option.

It isn't often you're going to find a marauder take off exhaust either. Have people done it? Absolutely. But most times when someone with a marauder gets a new exhaust put on, they just cut the old one off.

ZincYellowGT281

Established Member
Your mom is awesome, mine mother use to have a late model dodge ram with flow's that I ripped out of my old Fobra. She loved that truck because of the exhaust.

Why not try cherry bomb mufflers or even borla? when I sold my coyote I took the Borla Atak mufflers off and installed 1 on my focus st.
(sounds awesome btw for a stock car)

96 cobra

Established Member
I'd go with Spintech mufflers, have a muffler shop just weld in chrome tips.

Short soundclip of my cobra, only mod is spintech "prostreet" mufflers:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Flowmasters are so generic and sound like poo on 2v's. Also, all flowmasters do is create drone, your only hope against that would be like delta 50's with the stock resonators. But at that point it really won't even make noise.

If you want something that makes noise and won't drone (or rust out in a year), get magnaflows, probably 22" to keep the balance of volume to drone.

Or, if you want to sound like hell on earth, Kooks headers with SLP Loudmouth II's and an X pipe

Users who are viewing this thread