Catback for an '09 Grand Marquis?

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
Bought my son a crown vic (police interceptor) and of course he wants it louder :) Not sure if hers is a dual exhaust or not (police interceptors have dual exhaust with a H-Pipe)

We went with flowmaster 40's and had a shop cut out the old ones and weld in the new ones. It was better but he wanted it louder, so now it's got SLP Loudmouths on it!!! The 40's would be probably be perfect for her.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
40 and 50 series flowmasters will drone like crazy on the highway, and might even lose a hp or 2. Not to mention they are likely to rust out.

swap in some magnaflows or pony up cash to get a catback or full exhaust from stainless works. They sell kits for crown vics, grand marquis and marauders

your mom is super cool

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
A valid point was brought up, I bet this car doesn't have factory dual exhaust. Find a set off a wrecked P71 or something (P71's have no factory resonators). Have the mufflers welded into that.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
For those saying Flowmaster will lose power and rust out, you’re getting a little carried away. I ran a single 70 series FM on my ‘02 4.6 Explorer and when I sold it 8 years later, it sounded as great as the first day I installed it. No rust holes, no decreased performance and sounded fantastic with 0 drone. Here’s mine on the dyno -

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
A valid point was brought up, I bet this car doesn't have factory dual exhaust. Find a set off a wrecked P71 or something (P71's have no factory resonators). Have the mufflers welded into that.

I have to take a look, pretty sure it is dual exhaust. I know it has the Police Interceptor package. It was a special order vehicle through the Ford dealer my father worked for.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
For those saying Flowmaster will lose power and rust out, you’re getting a little carried away. I ran a single 70 series FM on my ‘02 4.6 Explorer and when I sold it 8 years later, it sounded as great as the first day I installed it. No rust holes, no decreased performance and sounded fantastic with 0 drone. Here’s mine on the dyno -

A single 70 has to be the quietest muffler they made, most people user 40's ,44's or 50's on cars. A friend of mine had a set of 40's on his marauder and they lasted 3 years before they completely blew out from rust.

I have to take a look, pretty sure it is dual exhaust. I know it has the Police Interceptor package. It was a special order vehicle through the Ford dealer my father worked for.

They don't offer P71 parts on a grand marq, I don't think the handling & performance package even existed in 2009 either which means I'm not sure if you could even get dual exhaust in 2009 anymore.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
A single 70 has to be the quietest muffler they made, most people user 40's ,44's or 50's on cars. A friend of mine had a set of 40's on his marauder and they lasted 3 years before they completely blew out from rust.

They don't offer P71 parts on a grand marq, I don't think the handling & performance package even existed in 2009 either which means I'm not sure if you could even get dual exhaust in 2009 anymore.

The 70 was indeed quiet, but certainly a step up from stock and louder than you think. It had the FM tone at startup and when you laid into it, there was no questioning you had a V8. I originally did a 40 series with dumps, but it was stupid loud.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

Maybe I'm wrong on her year then, but she definitely has the PI engine. It was a special order. The dealership my father worked at was responsible for working on the State Police cars. The Grand Marquis was a special order through the dealership.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Maybe I'm wrong on her year then, but she definitely has the PI engine. It was a special order. The dealership my father worked at was responsible for working on the State Police cars. The Grand Marquis was a special order through the dealership.

Every panther platform vehicle got the "Performance Improved" engine starting in 2001 (new cylinder heads + intake manifold). Mustangs got them in 99. The only differences between a P71 engine and others would have been things that get bolted onto it, like the alternator, airbox, oil cooler and dual exhaust.

Sucks that Marti reports currently stop at MY2007

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Every panther platform vehicle got the "Performance Improved" engine starting in 2001 (new cylinder heads + intake manifold). Mustangs got them in 99. The only differences between a P71 engine and others would have been things that get bolted onto it, like the alternator, airbox, oil cooler and dual exhaust.

Sucks that Marti reports currently stop at MY2007

I'll have to investigate further. My father told us it was a special order through the dealer. Unfortunately, my dad can't remember the car anymore. I'll see if Grammy does. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread