catalytic converters

03mgtermi

Established Member
tell me what you know about catalytic converters.

i am currently running a bassani catted x and my cats have rusted through on both sides. looks to me like they can be welded shut but i am not sure just how far the rust has gone.

instead, i am looking to just have an exhaust shop weld in some new ones. i googled around and have found universal ones from $60 all the way up to $180. some are ceramic and others are metallic (said to be better for forced induction).

i need to pass a tailpipe test but still want high flow/no power loss. don't know what to get or what to pay. any help would be appreciated.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The cats are rusted through? How long have you had the Bassani mid-pipe (how many miles on them)? What's is the warranty? Personally I wouldn't mess around with "patches". Just replace the cats. I'd talk to Bassani first, though, because I'm a bit surprised to hear about the rust-through.

black 10th vert

Established Member
^me too! He must have the "BX" line, which is mild steel that has a galvanized coating on it. I have the full stainless Bassani system, so hopefully this will never be an issue for me.

op, you should look in the classifieds here, because the Bassani x-pipes are often in there for a good price (in stainless). You may spend a bit more than just replacing the cats, but then you would have a lifetime replacement.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
^me too! He must have the "BX" line, which is mild steel that has a galvanized coating on it. I have the full stainless Bassani system, so hopefully this will never be an issue for me.

op, you should look in the classifieds here, because the Bassani x-pipes are often in there for a good price (in stainless). You may spend a bit more than just replacing the cats, but then you would have a lifetime replacement.

I agree.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Are the high flow cats used with the Bassani stainless steel system stainless? I honestly would have thought they'd be aluminized for both the SS and BX systems. I thought only the tubing, hardware, tips and mufflers were stainless. Anyone know for sure? And doesn't Bassani also sell a midpipe where you utilize your OEM cats? Just trying to figure out why his cats are rusted.

Oh, and by the way, even their BX system has a limited lifetime warranty so it definitely would be worth calling Bassani to see if the cats are covered. Just a thought.

03mgtermi

Established Member
thanks for all the replies.

CobraBob, i bought the car used with the x pipe and catback already installed. not sure if its BX or stainless but my catback seemed to polish up real nice so i assumed it was stainless steel. i have no way of knowing for sure. would they still warranty it if im not the original owner? i will definitely be calling them tomorrow.

as for the cats, i doubt they are stainless steel but the crack is along a seam along the width of the cat (rectangular shaped cat) at the bottom rear. condensation from the a/c system drips down the exhaust manifold and stops right where it is split before it drops off and onto the ground.

if they don't warranty my cats, does anyone know which ones are the best to go with? looking for a brand and ceramic vs metallic advice if anyone knows anything.

thanks fellas!

03mgtermi

Established Member
also, car has ~45k miles on it. not sure when the x pipe was installed or even if it was new when it went on....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ah, okay. I thought you were the original owner. As far as Bassani's warranty, the stainless system is a lifetime warranty so I would think it covers a new owner. The BX has a limited warranty so you'd have to check with Bassani as far as what the limitations are, if you have a BX system.

As far as replacement hi-flow cats, from what I've read that the ceramic cat is good for a naturally aspirated engine and the metallic cat is good for a forced induction setup. Pypes has both types. Both are stainless steel. The Bassani cat doesn't look to be stainless steel. Here are two links for the Pypes cats.

Ceramic Cat
Pypes High Flow Ceramic Catalytic Converter Kit at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Metallic Cat
Pypes High Flow Metallic Catalytic Converter Kit (86-10) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

03mgtermi

Established Member
yea, i saw those doing some research last night but wasn't sure of the brand as i haven't dealt with them before. also the $270 price tag is approaching the cost of a new x pipe on the marketplace here as you mentioned.

guess i will call bassani and see what they can do and go from there....here's hoping!

thanks man!

Users who are viewing this thread