Catalytic converter recycling

LaFlavor

Established Member
So I have a stock midpipe from the cobra sitting in my garage. From what I understand, there is some value to catalytic converters, due to the platinum inside of them. Does anyone here have any idea what these might be worth, and/or where one might go to recycle them? Just from pestering google, I have seen prices ranging from as little as $20 to as high as $150 per cat. I'd just like a better idea of whether or not there's a better place to take them, and what I should expect when I contact someone.

Thanks in advance.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
So I have a stock midpipe from the cobra sitting in my garage. From what I understand, there is some value to catalytic converters, due to the platinum inside of them. Does anyone here have any idea what these might be worth, and/or where one might go to recycle them? Just from pestering google, I have seen prices ranging from as little as $20 to as high as $150 per cat. I'd just like a better idea of whether or not there's a better place to take them, and what I should expect when I contact someone.

Thanks in advance.

Catalytic Converters either use palladium or platinum. But it is just a coating for the ceramic beads that exist in the honeycomb within the Converter. To extract the tiny amount of platinum, if yours has platinum, would be cost prohibitive unless done on an extremely large scale.

LaFlavor

Established Member
Catalytic Converters either use palladium or platinum. But it is just a coating for the ceramic beads that exist in the honeycomb within the Converter. To extract the tiny amount of platinum, if yours has platinum, would be cost prohibitive unless done on an extremely large scale.

Yeah, I'm not planning on doing it myself. Just selling it to someone who does it on a large scale.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I have a buddy who does salvage stuff he said he would pay 100 bucks per cat and make 150 per cat but that was almost 2 years ago.

I also remember hearing storys of people getting them stolen off their cars at night. because the theives could make a killing stealing 10 or 12 of them per night with a cordless sawzall and a jack.

LaFlavor

Established Member
I have a buddy who does salvage stuff he said he would pay 100 bucks per cat and make 150 per cat but that was almost 2 years ago.

I also remember hearing storys of people getting them stolen off their cars at night. because the theives could make a killing stealing 10 or 12 of them per night with a cordless sawzall and a jack.

Yeah, we had one stolen from the parking lot where I work a couple years ago. Middle of the day, 200+ employees. Ballsy move. If I could get $200 for the pair, I'd be ecstatic.

Users who are viewing this thread