Cat deletes+xpipe over longtubes?

twistid

Established Member
I currently have a BBK x-pipe and was considering purchasing cat-deletes to get some extra power. I know the standard answer is to simply get long-tubes and shorty xpipe, but I do not want to tackle the job and don't want to pay +$500 for someone else to do it.

Would getting some Jegs cat delete pipes and bolting them up to my BBK xpipe yield any significant gains to justify the $142?

My current exhaust setup is the BBK xpipe, resonator delete (welded in pipe), and GT500 axlebacks. Also everything else is stock, so I would be purchasing an American Muscle X3 tuner and using the Bama hybrid tune. I'm assuming the tuner+cat deletes should yield a good +30whp? Also I'm kind of a sucker for that ghost cam after hearing it in person :p

Any suggestions on other routes of modification would be appreciated as well (intake over cat deletes?). This is my only daily driver after I blew up a Mk6 GTI that was semi-heavily modded so I'm more looking for a modest but quick daily driver over the "my car has more mods than yours".

twistid

Established Member
Do CAI's not yield much performance? I have read that the Coyote's intake was very well designed... Just unsure if the CAI hype is legit or companies trying to make a profit on an already well designed system.

U CAN'T C ME

Established Member
Does the stock h pipe flow good enough with the cat deletes to make the same gain as after market h pipe? If so why buy an OR H pipe then?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Does the stock h pipe flow good enough with the cat deletes to make the same gain as after market h pipe? If so why buy an OR H pipe then?

OR H pipe is an easier install, but I'm cheap so I went with cat deletes.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
the cat deletes are your least expensive way to go. the most power will come from longtubes, plus the sound is great.

just depends on how involved you want to be with it

pohnjarker

Established Member
cat deletes and skip the CAI and you'll be set.

I had an AED tune and I didn't need a tune revision after adding my cat deletes. Sean said the tune was good.

who's tune do you have?

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
cat deletes and skip the CAI and you'll be set.

I had an AED tune and I didn't need a tune revision after adding my cat deletes. Sean said the tune was good.

who's tune do you have?

Thats because all his tunes are for catless cars:poke:

Baysixx

Established Member
I went from a o/r x pipe to long tunes with no cats. The power gain was beyond noticeable and I picked up 30 rwtq and 20 rwhp. But I don't think it was worth the money for the parts themselves and install. If I had to do it over I would have never bought the x pipe and just went straight for the long tubes. Plus nothing beats the sounds of straight pipes with long tubes.

EDIT:
Skip to 0:41 for the pull [youtube_browser]jrYVbPyI5Eg[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

twistid

Established Member
Haha, Bama gets alot of hate around here I see... Any reason why Bama sucks so bad or is it just personal bias?

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Haha, Bama gets alot of hate around here I see... Any reason why Bama sucks so bad or is it just personal bias?

They don't necessarily suck, but are very conservative on their tunes, with many people experiencing drivability issues, some unresolved after many attempts.

Users who are viewing this thread