Cat-back power?

Established Member
I just got my 03 Cobra, and I am wanting to put a new cat-back system on it. I want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck. What I would like to know is this, when you installed your cat-back, what were your before, and after dyno numbers, and what system did you use, and how was the fit and finish?

Does anyone have this info that they can share with a new member.

gatzer

Established Member
SLP claims the biggest numbers. It is a fairly easy install and you can do it yourself. I didn't get a stock dyno but in two weeks i'll know.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't believe any manufacturer's claim as having "the biggest numbers". The only true way to determine that is to run a test with all the major players, on the same car, on the same day, same driver, and same conditions. We might be surprised at the results. :)

Others to consider:
Borla Stinger
Magnaflow
Steeda
Mac

Hy_Dro

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Just installed my Stingers the other day. I get wood every time I start her up.:D After a little bit of a struggle the fit is perfect. Sorry, no after dyno #'s...........im waiting till the pulley goes on.

Established Member
I understand what they are saying about putting all the differnet pipes on the same car to get a idea, but I was looking for the numbers that anyone has seen on thier machine.

I have had 8 mustangs, never had any of them on the dyno, last 2 never made it past stock. This one is going under the knife after break in(about 1k miles) It is a 03 vert that I just got.

First mod will be the cat back, then the cai, then a shifter... dont know if I will do any other mods past that, want to keep the warrenty. And with only those 2 mods for power, I want to make sure I make the most of it. I have had Mac on 3 of my other cars, loved the sound, and the fit and finish, but those were 5.0's, and then I have had dynomax, and flowmaster. Dynomax was ok, did not like the fit as much as the mac, and flowmaster I hated the sound at 2k rpm... was to much harmonic noise for daily driving. Atm I lean towards MAC just because I love the sound and fit and finish on my 5.0's I have had. But I would like to know some of the numbers anyone else has had with any of thier systems.

vipergts281

Established Member
I have a Magnaflow CB and like it. Only mods are that and a Steeda CAI and I dyno'd at 422 rwhp.

2 of my friends dyno'd their 03 Cobra's the same day, here are their results..........

Flowmaster CB and BBK CAI- 412 rwhp
Stingers and K&N FIPK- 417 rwhp

I personally think you can't go wrong with any cat-back system. All give good numbers. Anything is better than stock.

trey193

Established Member
Mac Catback here if I had it to do over I would have just welded in mufflers.

KOOY

Established Member
What is the place to buy a MAC catback? A link would be appreciated.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Gotta agree with Viper.....most all of the big hitters are good quality, good fit, and similiar performance gains. Comes down mostly to sound preference and cost.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
i just did the mac thing too. love the sound but hate the finish. you can plainly see the connecting flanges and the connection from chrome to treated pipe. and everyone on the road ens up behind you so they all see it. but i am partial to mac so i will just quit my bitching.

1992B4C

Established Member
I would believe SLP's claims. They claim 25hp, I got 22hp on a bone stock one. All numbers are in my sig after each mod. We just had a dyno day here. Mac w/ cold air was the least hp(391or hp), stingers w/ FIPK was 405, and Magnaflow w/ FIPK was just over 401. Hope this helps.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Viper i pulled the same with flows and CAI......412.2rwhp and 404.9ft.lbs

Cobrasized

Proud MCT Member
Established Member
1192B4C,

How many miles on your car? I dyno'd 360 Bone Stock and just added magna Cat-Back and PHP CAI. Word is HP improves with mileage from stock, but I'm skeptical.

Users who are viewing this thread