Career decisions?

Steve1578

Established Member
You said "in this economy". Things are pretty strong minus the oil industry. We aren't in a recession anymore, might want to crawl out of that basement you're in.

I day trade stocks for the majority of my living, I understand the economy quite well, and there's much more to it than a stock market that's hitting new highs.

Last edited:

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
I day trade stocks for the majority of my living, I understand the economy quite well, and there's much more to it than a stock market that's hitting new highs.

Ya it's pure genius.Zero interest rates.Day traders are always the smartest in an up Market.

jbs$

Established Member
Ya it's pure genius.Zero interest rates.Day traders are always the smartest in an up Market.

Almost all Day Traders have the exact same experience over time. That is, that take a lot of small profits, then they lock into a sure winner and take a sizable lost. They cannot force themselves to sell when the loss is still reasonable or small.

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
Almost all Day Traders have the exact same experience over time. That is, that take a lot of small profits, then they lock into a sure winner and take a sizable lost. They cannot force themselves to sell when the loss is still reasonable or small.

The one thing I can guarantee is the Markets are far more dangerous hitting new highs.70% of the population can't come up with $400 to $700 in an emergency but the economy is super.

Oh ya keep the job you are at.The RV place sounds like a bad long term idea.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
school at 30 years old with 2 kids and a job.....yeah, good luck with that one

I did school at 32 with two kids and a job...and I graduated and became an RN....worst 4 years of my damn life man

Steve1578

Established Member

The ones that last learn sooner than later to let their winners ride and cut their losses short. If you don't, you'll never make it. Took me a solid year before I actually started doing consistently good.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Stay where you're at. Go to school. Get your degree and then look elsewhere. Selling RV's won't get you anywhere. Work hard now play hard later.

jbs$

Established Member
On the school thing, it is far from too late. Start with a Community College, hang in there for six weeks, get in the habit of going, get the Family into the life style of Dad is going to school and all have to adjust some. After the six weeks, the next couple of years will go by quickly.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
You have two kids, you need to stay at the current job that offers you a better future and try to just work hard and see where it goes. Doing the best for your kids comes first, actually getting to be happy comes second.

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
I get what everyone is saying, it's definitely a career where I am now, I just hate it. My wife (for now) teaches and has great insurance. To answer a few more questions, my current employer will pay for schooling but i would need to continue working here for 5 years after graduation to not pay anything for that education. The second part is 2 little kids and school after work every night just doesn't seem like something I'm up for. I took night classes to get my business degree and it was hell lol. The RV company I used to work for is small, but has been around for 30 years and the owner is a millionaire private jet yada yada yada. So im not really worried about that. One of the biggest advantages to the old job was getting home around 4 pm instead of 6 pm. Feels like I have no time to get anything done before dinner, baths, and bed. Wish it were easier decision that's for sure!

Last edited:

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I did school at 32 with two kids and a job...and I graduated and became an RN....worst 4 years of my damn life man

Tell me about it. My Wife just graduated with her RN and it was hell on earth. At least she got a job straight out of school taking home more than i gros. I start applying to the nursing programs around me starting in January

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Easy choice.

You spend 1/3-1/2 of your life at your job. If you don't enjoy it, you're doing something wrong.

You need to enjoy where you work; regardless if it's a pay-cut as long as you and your family can afford it and you are very forthcoming at reducing your benefits and such.

Easy question, easy answer. Life is too short not to enjoy what you do.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Tell me about it. My Wife just graduated with her RN and it was hell on earth. At least she got a job straight out of school taking home more than i gros. I start applying to the nursing programs around me starting in January

My wife still makes more than me lol

Nursing school is no joke dude....hardest thing I ever did. And I spent 12 years in the service and graduated from sere school lol...exactly 50% of my class failed out of Nursing. We started with 114 students. 12 were guys...at the end we had 57...and 3 of us were dudes

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
A lot of solid advice in this thread. I feel like I am in a similar situation. Except I am considering quitting my job in the aerospace industry to return to school. Like yours, it pays well (not 6 figures, but not too far off), 9% 401k match, and they will pay for my Masters. The only downside is, work is not very accommodating to my masters program. They want me 100% focused on work despite their rhetoric to improve myself. It will make it difficult when I start my first classes in a few weeks. I have no kids and my wife makes more than I do and can support us both. We have plenty of money saved, and could pay for my Masters in cash if necessary. I just cant decide if its better to suffer for the next few years and work while I go to school, or quit and knock it out quickly to get the job I really want. I come home stressed enough each day without any school work to worry about. In order to fit the degree program into my work schedule, Ill have to work every weekend and take days off during the week for classes. Which means I will not have any free days with my wife every semester Im in school. Tough decisions, but first world problems I guess....

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A lot of solid advice in this thread. I feel like I am in a similar situation. Except I am considering quitting my job in the aerospace industry to return to school. Like yours, it pays well (not 6 figures, but not too far off), 9% 401k match, and they will pay for my Masters. The only downside is, work is not very accommodating to my masters program. They want me 100% focused on work despite their rhetoric to improve myself. It will make it difficult when I start my first classes in a few weeks. I have no kids and my wife makes more than I do and can support us both. We have plenty of money saved, and could pay for my Masters in cash if necessary. I just cant decide if its better to suffer for the next few years and work while I go to school, or quit and knock it out quickly to get the job I really want. I come home stressed enough each day without any school work to worry about. In order to fit the degree program into my work schedule, Ill have to work every weekend and take days off during the week for classes. Which means I will not have any free days with my wife every semester Im in school. Tough decisions, but first world problems I guess....

Quit. Finish school. Get the job you want.

nxhappy

Established Member
the grass is always greener on the other side .....sometimes when you get there......it's the same pile of shit

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
My wife still makes more than me lol

Nursing school is no joke dude....hardest thing I ever did. And I spent 12 years in the service and graduated from sere school lol...exactly 50% of my class failed out of Nursing. We started with 114 students. 12 were guys...at the end we had 57...and 3 of us were dudes

More guys are going into the field. I was a nurse aid for years and started my prerequisites and cant wait to start a program next but dread the hell i am entering. Im not sure how many failed in my wifes class but i know quite a few didnt make the cut

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Im leaving my job to take a part time job while i am in nursing school but it will be worth it. My wife didnt work while in school and it sucked but as 13cobra said you gotta do what you enjoy. She is working and making more than i ever made and is happy. Suck it up cupcake and you will not regret it in the end

Buckwheat 1

Established Member
the grass is always greener on the other side .....sometimes when you get there......it's the same pile of shit

The follow your dream and do something you love is a bunch of BS.Sometimes being real good at something and making a good living will have to be enough.

Users who are viewing this thread