Career decisions?

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Family? Job? Money? 30 years old, married with 2 kids..5 months I've been at my current employer an engineering/architect firm. Great people great benifits, life insurance , 401k, pay for schooling, the whole thing. The problem is I don't like the line of work and almost feel so far behind being one of the only guys without an architectural or engineering degree. The job just isn't for me. I new accepting the job i didn't like the desk part but thought it might be too great of an opportunity to pass up. That being said my previous employer made an offer to return, $7 more an hr not much ot like I get here and no 401k. Small RV company, yes desk job, but better hrs. I would get home around 4 instead of almost 6 every night. I was there 4 years so I have that sense of pride of actually knowing what the hell i was doing. I know where I am at now is a great opportunity, I'm just not sure I'm interested in it. Haha anybody have any advice? I don't know what to do. In a perfect world I am flipping homes and making a killing, but here we are.. done bitching and moaning lol

Last edited:

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I think you may need to edit your post as it is a bit confusing. Is your current or previous employer offering the $7/hr more? Benefit differences? Do you need the OT?

jbs$

Established Member
Age, family responsibility are not noted in your post. If you are not happy after five months, it will not be better after five years, move on.

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
I think you may need to edit your post as it is a bit confusing. Is your current or previous employer offering the $7/hr more? Benefit differences? Do you need the OT?
Sorry about that, previous employer made the offer. I get 2 weeks vacation at both places, thats about the extent of the benifits from the previous employer. After 7 hrs of ot I'd make roughly what I would in 40 hrs at the previous job.

Last edited:

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry about that, previous employer made the offer. I get 2 weeks vacation at both places, thats about the extent of the benifits from the previous employer. After 7 hrs of ot I'd make roughly what I would in 40 hrs at the previous job.

I just want to make certain I have this correct before giving my opinion.

Current Employer you get two weeks vacation, 401K, health insurance, but need 7 hours of OT to make up what you could be making at your previous employer.

Previous Employer you get two eeks vacation, no 401k or health insurance but do not need the OT because of the $7/hr extra.

08mojo

Established Member
If your current employer is willing to pay for school, and offers way better benefits, it would be a no brainer for me. The value of school/degree will be worth a lot more than $7/hour in the long run. That said, it is definitely a commitment on your part: engineering school is a BITCH! The current employer also sounds more like a career (at least the opportunity to build a solid career) vs a job like your previous employer.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Money isn't everything, but it sure does make it easier the enjoy living the good life.

A job decision is almost always a balance between happiness and responsibility. How much you have to put up with versus how much you gain from it.

So for example, digging ditches for 10$ an hour is going to be a bad choice. It is a hard job that is physically demanding and the pay isn't great. If it were your only option, it would make sense, but if you could serve French fries for 9.50 an hour, that would make more sense to most people, unless that extra .50 cents is going to be the difference between surviving and not surviving.

I have taken less pay to do a more meaningful, fulfilling and less stressful job, and I was happy doing it. I could afford to take the pay cut though.

You have to consider your benefits as parts of your compensation. You may be able to live today without the 401K, but if you can't save equally then you may sacrifice tomorrow, and honestly that is worse. You need to evaluate the compensation you are going to receive versus your willingness/need to do both jobs.

To answer your question though, many people have taken a pay cut to get out of a bad job. If you aren't happy, then make something happen for yourself, even if it isn't this old job. If you have to cut back on cable, cell phones, and subscriptions to make ends meet while you make less money... it is probably worth it to get out of a job you don't like.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
If your current employer is willing to pay for school, and offers way better benefits, it would be a no brainer for me. The value of school/degree will be worth a lot more than $7/hour in the long run. That said, it is definitely a commitment on your part: engineering school is a BITCH! The current employer also sounds more like a career (at least the opportunity to build a solid career) vs a job like your previous employer.

School/degree in something he doesn't like doing? And what do you think his chances of completion are when he doesn't enjoy it anyway?

I agree with what you are saying, but if you like digging ditches, you can make it a career. If you like digging ditches and you get a job as an engineer you are going to be miserable every day at your horribly monotonous job.

nxhappy

Established Member
small RV company? I'd stay away from that one ......

08mojo

Established Member
School/degree in something he doesn't like doing? And what do you think his chances of completion are when he doesn't enjoy it anyway?

I agree with what you are saying, but if you like digging ditches, you can make it a career. If you like digging ditches and you get a job as an engineer you are going to be miserable every day at your horribly monotonous job.

If someone offered to pay for the degree, I'd take it! The engineering field is HUGE, and having an engineering degree opens the door to a lot of positions. I, for example, have a degree in mechanical engineering, but I cannot remember the last time I did an engineering related task. It's all up to the OP to figure out what he wants to do in life. He said career, so I believe having a degree in a wide, respected field like engineering opens A LOT more doors than giving up an opportunity for free school to work at a small RV shop. I don't believe I am alone in this thought.

nxhappy

Established Member
school at 30 years old with 2 kids and a job.....yeah, good luck with that one

Steve1578

Established Member
How in the world can you make a living at a small RV place? Not being judgmental, just honestly surprised that they're able to afford to pay employees in this economy. Regardless, I would say keep your current job, unless your SO has a job that offers medical for you and the kids to get covered. 401k match goes a long way. If you're not stashing away without 401k, you'll be screwed come retirement. You will end up living in a shared building renting a 1 bedroom for 70 bucks a month and barely having enough to eat. Trust me on this. Plan for the future. I'm 23 and just had my first child. I'm at a job that is okay, not my favorite, but it pays the bills, fantastic 401k(6% match +3% on top), and I'm eating up all that free money so it helps me in the future. Meanwhile, I'm planning out some other business ideas. If you and your family can get by with your previous job, then I would say go for it. If not, stay where you're at and bank the extra money while planning a way to get to where you really wanna be.Just remember, money isn't everything, but it does go a long way.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
well let's face it, RVs are not exactly "flying off the lots"

Steve1578

Established Member
well let's face it, RVs are not exactly "flying off the lots"

There's a pretty large RV place around here, and I swear I've seen the same 80 Rv's there for the last 5 years. The only way they're keeping the lights on is by people who are upside down on their loans and still paying for the damn things from like 10 years ago.

AAG

Established Member
How in the world can you make a living at a small RV place? Not being judgmental, just honestly surprised that they're able to afford to pay employees in this economy.

It's not 2010 and the Stock Market is at record highs.

nxhappy

Established Member
you're right, I should go buy a $200,000 RV right now !

AAG

Established Member
Oh that's all it takes. :idea:

You said "in this economy". Things are pretty strong minus the oil industry. We aren't in a recession anymore, might want to crawl out of that basement you're in.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I would stay for the schooling.

It sucks, but that degree, if it's in engineering, can be useful if you want to jump ship even to something not in engineering.

Users who are viewing this thread