Car sways side to side

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
At around 50 to 60 mph my 2001 Cobra will sway from side to side just going straight, it's very scary and nerve racking. I'm trying to build a list of things to check when I look underneath it tomorrow. Tires had enough air. I will check the sway bar bushing and the wheel bearings. Anything else I should look for?
Also the day before I had a total of 4 people in the car and we were on a bumpy road, could I have blown out a shock?

clbailey

Established Member
Are you driving on shitty roads and does it do it on all roads? I though my cars were messed up when I got stationed here in Virginia. Turns out they just don't know how to make roads here and they get grooved out bad and tug my cars which ever way it wants. I would check everything to include a stuck piston inside of a caliper.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
Are you sure it's not from tramlining? Some tires do it more than others, especially wide tires. I know with my car if I don't have a firm grip on the wheel it will follow the road grooves.

If it's not the tires I would look for steering play. Check the inner and outer tie rods, ball joints, tie rod ends, and lower control arm bushings.

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
My car already does tramline a bit on these roads. The swaying is really new. I know it's new because it scares the living hell out of me. I've been driving down these roads many many times before and most of them have been re-paved in the last 2 yeaers. It definintely feels like the rear end of the car has a mind of it's own.

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
UPDATE DIAGNOSIS
When traveling around 40 MPH in 4th and going WOT the rear end feels like it completely falls out of the car. And im only putting 300 rwhp down. Im about to investigate and jack up the car.

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
Mine is doing the same thing; I'll check back here to see what you found. I'll be taking a look at mine on the 5th when I can get to a garage... hopefully I hear something good from you to look at!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
UPDATE DIAGNOSIS
When traveling around 40 MPH in 4th and going WOT the rear end feels like it completely falls out of the car. And im only putting 300 rwhp down. Im about to investigate and jack up the car.

VERY HIGH PROBABILITY of a loose rear axle nut(36mm), which will cause and can be a result of bad rear wheel bearings.

Catch it early and you can save your rear knuckle bearings, wait too long and the knuckle bearings and the hub get trashed.

FTBR FAQ's
Q: "When I get on the gas hard, the rear end of my car wants to dart to one side and when I let off the gas, it goes back the other way. What's causing this?"

A: This is somewhat of a common Cobra IRS problem. The first thing I would check would be the 36mm halfshaft retaining nut that holds the rear hub to the halfshaft. It needs to be torqued to 240-250#. If it was loose, you most likely destroyed your knuckle bearing. If it was run long enough in that loose condition, you may have also destroyed your rear hub as well. If you find the nut keeps loosening up, you're going to want to replace the nut. Even if you found the nut was tight, you're going to want to jack up the rear end of the car and feel the rear wheel for looseness in all directions. If the nut is tight and you have play in the hub/bearing, the bearing and/or the hub needs to be replaced. The torque on the 36mm nut should be checked every time you change your oil or before you head to the track. Sometimes people find a loose attaching bolt on the toe link but that's not real common unless that's been worked on recently.

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
Well i've come to the conclusion that I am in no way equipped to deal with this problem. I can't find a store that has a 36 mm socket. I am not off of work until Monday so it looks like I'm going to have to sit it out until then. I'll probably take it to the dealership then. Question though, if the nut is loose will it be loose enough to twist by hand?
Thanks for all the help, due to the open track events I've done I think i will be needing new bushing anyways too.

Last edited:

war_machine92

Banned
replace all the rear control arm bushings,,, meaning both uppers & lowers.... my fox is doin the same thing and ive known it was ALL the bushings for a while now but my new uppers/lowers with poly bushings will be in tomorrow.. i can grab my spoiler with one hand,, and shake the rear of my car side to side a good few inches or so. and while driving it,, say like backing into a parking spot and blipping the throttle,,,, i can feel the whole rear end wobble and jump around and in the mirror i see my tires lookin like they're gonna shake right off lol. i promise you this is your problem as well so just replace all the bushings/bolts.

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
I definitely cannot shake the car by hand like you are saying. I have to head to work soon but if anyone has any idea how I can identify where the problem is please say so!

war_machine92

Banned
well, they might not be that bad YET,,,, but what you explained really sounds like they're bad enough to where it starts doin that. when you take a turn and put load on it, do you hear or feel any kind of light popping, squeaking, or wobbling? you did say it feels like its gonna lose the rear end when you get on the pedal,,, thats a bushing issue.. crawl under there and check them with a light, check around all the bolts to see if theres any tears/cracks in the bushings, both sides on each one.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Well i've come to the conclusion that I am in no way equipped to deal with this problem. I can't find a store that has a 36 mm socket. I am not off of work until Monday so it looks like I'm going to have to sit it out until then. I'll probably take it to the dealership then. Question though, if the nut is loose will it be loose enough to twist by hand?
Thanks for all the help, due to the open track events I've done I think i will be needing new bushing anyways too.

No, you will need a 1/2" drive torque wrench or breaker bar and a 36mm socket.

You will then need to hold the wrench on the side that allows you to turn it in a clockwise direction while pulling up with your arms and legs... unless you weigh that much.

If the nut tightens with less than 250 foot pounds, chances are you need to take a look at those bearings or pay someone to have those bearings checked out. Which obviously is going to involve some disassembly.

If you decide to do the FTBR Delrin bushings, first resolve your rear wheel bearing issue before you remove the IRS sub-assembly from the car. Because trying to torque that nut with the assembly out of the car will have the unit flopping all over the garage.:nonono::bash:

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member

I know for a fact that college station has a autozone, advanced auto ,and a harbor freight.. All those places carry a 36mm axle nut.

When I brought my Cobra home for the 1st time the driver side nut was loose, not hand loose, but about 1/4 turn loose..I simply took off the center cap on the wheel and torqued it down with the car on the ground. Hopefully your bearing(s) aren't toast.

I don't know your plans for the car or budget but now sounds like a good time to install the FTBR kit.. Especially if you plan on having a shop take everything apart

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
Harbor Freight was out of stock of the single sockets and I didn't have enough time today to go to autozone. I found out I can create the swerving everytime I go WOT in 5th at around 65 mph. I will check out autozone for the socket tomorrow.

kveazy

Established Member
When i first got my car it would wiggle adn drive itself going down the road, especially on bumpy roads. I found a crack in the trunk that went up to where the shock is mounted. everytime i hit a bump i could faintly hear a creaking sound form the crakced metal flexing. got it welded for 65$ and now it doesnt drive itself anymore

Users who are viewing this thread