Car stolen, recovered, now no gauge lights

Luckybob2485

Established Member
This last week the worst happened, my 03 cobra was stolen. 18 hours later, it was recovered with minor scrapes and bruises. However, now the dash gauges are not illuminating and the steering wheel controls are not lighting up. The car has full coverage insurance, but I'm wanting to try to figure this out ahead of time.

Everything is working except for the illumination of the dash gauges and steering wheel lights, but the steering wheel controls do still work. There was never an issue wih these gauges previously. I have checked the illumination fuses and all seem to be good.

Any ideas on what this thief could have done in 18 hours to make the dash lights stop working?

rymax101

Established Member
Probably tried to pull the cluster due to pats. Or pulled the fuse

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Luckybob2485

Established Member
It definitely appears to be something as simple as fuse, because all the gauges and everything work, but just the illumination is out. I checked the fuses: 5-instrument cluster and traction control switch, 21- instrument cluster and engine control memory, 34- instrument cluster, CCRM, data link connector, securilock transceiver module, 37-adjustable illumination.

All these fuses to do with the instrument cluster illumination look good. It doesn't appear that anything has been taken apart in the car, so I'm stumped as to where to look next.

msp.ecoboost

Established Member
Damn! I remember when one of my Big Rigs was stolen! They screwed up the transmission.

Sorry you had to go through this!

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Luckybob2485

Established Member
Damn! I remember when one of my Big Rigs was stolen! They screwed up the transmission.

Sorry you had to go through this!

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
It was the worst. Was trying to sell the car, and the potential buyer ran into the car and drove away with me standing two feet away.

speedoflife

Established Member
It was the worst. Was trying to sell the car, and the potential buyer ran into the car and drove away with me standing two feet away.
Wow. Just wow. People never cease to astound me.

I would wish that experience on nobody. Glad your car is ok for the most part.

Do you have a factory radio? How many miles are on the car? It also could be that the cluster *just so happened* to go out at the same time as this event. Not likely, I understand, but the two occurrences don't have to be causally correlated just because they are temporally so.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
That is insane! Wtf is wrong with people?!?!

At least you got it back in one piece - but dang.

Maybe I should snap a photo of a buyer's driver's license before letting them drive something I'm selling. Even so, I usually go along for the ride just because the buyer isn't usually familiar with the neighborhood.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Steering wheel buttons do not illuminate on these cars. Gauges probably were dimmed when the potential buyer was turning on the headlights. Rotate switch counter clockwise and see if that helps.

Luckybob2485

Established Member
Steering wheel buttons do not illuminate on these cars. Gauges probably were dimmed when the potential buyer was turning on the headlights. Rotate switch counter clockwise and see if that helps.
I have adjusted the dimmer both ways. The odometer and radio will adjust, but still no gauge lights.

Luckybob2485

Established Member
Wow. Just wow. People never cease to astound me.

I would wish that experience on nobody. Glad your car is ok for the most part.

Do you have a factory radio? How many miles are on the car? It also could be that the cluster *just so happened* to go out at the same time as this event. Not likely, I understand, but the two occurrences don't have to be causally correlated just because they are temporally so.
The car just turned over 29k miles. Factory radio. If it did go out coincidentally, then luckily insurance will be covering it.

speedoflife

Established Member
The car just turned over 29k miles. Factory radio. If it did go out coincidentally, then luckily insurance will be covering it.
That's pretty low miles...

At this point in time it seems like you'd need to pull the cluster to test if power is getting to it. If so, then it/the inverter is probably just out.

I can't think of what else it could be.

zredfire04

Established Member
not trying to minimize the situation here, but it's critical that i point out the irony/accuracy of your user name.

i have no other input of value.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
I put the car up for sale. Potential buyer contacted me and we met at a bank parking lot. While looking over the car, he jumped in the driver seat, started car, and took off.

this is by far the most brazen robbery of a car I have ever heard of. It's unbelievable to me someone would attempt this and try to get away.

Sorry

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I put the car up for sale. Potential buyer contacted me and we met at a bank parking lot. While looking over the car, he jumped in the driver seat, started car, and took off.
WTF?
this is by far the most brazen robbery of a car I have ever heard of. It's unbelievable to me someone would attempt this and try to get away.

Sorry
That's what I was thinking, holy crap that's unreal.

Users who are viewing this thread