Car stalled today

fatal1

Established Member
This morning when I got off work, I start my car before I go get dressed, let it warm up, then go. Drove a little ways, clutched to make a turn and nothing. Did it one more time before I got home. Same way. Clutched it, watched the RPM's go down then die. Did a search and didn't see any 04's withthe stall issue. When going to work today it didn't stall but the RPM's were running alittle high around 1250. Any clues?

03Cobra_Poison

Established Member
tell us what mods you did. tune? recent work?
im not likely the one to answer but these details might help someone with more mojo.

fatal1

Established Member
Sorry about that, mods are 2.93 Billitflow pulley, 12 inch cone filter, flowmaster catback. No work has been done in the last 5 months, I changed the oil this weekend but that was it. Has a custom tune checked on the dyno AFR was 11.2-11.6.

3GROC

Established Member
my 03 did it ONE time ..... I tried to get it to do it again and I just chakled it up to a freak occurance...

tankerman1981

Established Member
i ahd that problem on my 03.. almost everytime i got off the interstate it would stall out on the off ramp... i could watch the RPM's die out and all... I took it in and they replaced some spring that has to do with idling and all it was kinda gummy and it caused it to stick in sometimes especailly after being driven for a bit at high speeds(interstate)... ever since then i've had no problems with it and that was about 3 months ago....

Nightstalker

Established Member
MIne stopped 4 times this summer at the Rod Run in Pigeon Forge, Tn. The weather was hot and after the 4th time I parked it for 4 or 5 hours and it hasn't done it again. I called the dealer and they didn't know what it could be and said to bring it in but they are 175 miles away so I haven't done anything to it, but I haven't drove it but about 125 miles since then so I really don't know if I still have the problem or not.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
3GROC said:
my 03 did it ONE time ..... I tried to get it to do it again and I just chakled it up to a freak occurance...
DON'T assume that just because it only happened once that it was a freak occurance. It very likely WILL happen again. Be smart and get your ECU reflashed and be safe. I've heard of Cobras stalling in a situation that was potentially very dangerous. Why risk it when there is a known remedy? :shrug:

SpectorV

Established Member
my 01 would just go dead, not idle, and it was the idle by pass valve, IAC or what ever, replaced it and its been fine. They act up in the cold weather from time to time, they can be very dangerous due to you could be turning... and BAM no power steering.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I had this issue a lot with my '02 GT. Clutch in to stop, and next thing I know the engine dies. In most cases I was able to put it back in gear and pop the clutch to start it up again without any issues, but it does get scary when you lose all the power to steering and brakes.

I haven't had the issue once on my '04 though - so it is kind of puzzling to see it may still affect my car after all.

Most common solution I have heard on these boards is to have the ECU re-flashed to the latest and greatest. Seems to resolve the problem for most.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
And if you have any aftermarket tune, but the tuner to add the code. Otherwise your custom tune will override the reflash.

fatal1

Established Member
Now is that a reflash from Ford or from the tuner that I used. And shouldn't it have done it soon after the custom tune was flashed. Why would it wait 6 months to show up. Could it be a sensor, FRPS or maf.

cobra101

Established Member
Hmm..Let us not forget it's a computer. I say reboot it. Disconnect the battery for awhile (20 mins or so). I figure this couldn't hurt and "may" fix the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread