Car salesman

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Not a fiscally smart move for me atm. But ty.

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Not smart?

You are looking for a new explorer st and are complaining about the price of said vehicles at the dealers.
You assume that dealers get a magical pot of gold from the manufacturer and insinuate they are greedy sob for not sharing this with you.
You then get an offer of a st spec how you like brand new from the best dealer in the country for a price that will when all said and done cost said dealer more money than he’s charging you and your response....

Wait for it...

Wait for it....

I don’t want to buy!!

Just in case op does not understand how he looks in this thread.

Oh 1 more thing. Every grocery store in the nation make a higher percentage on milk than dealers make on new cars. Next time you want to save some money, argue with Safeway and walkout with no sale when they won’t lower their price 10 cents!

jmsa540

Established Member
Who said im looking for a new explorer st? I was just wondering what he could offer as far as pricing?

Also, if you look at my original post i never even mentioned ford, whatsoever.

Others were chiming in on Fords current pricing.

I guess thats where people think i was setting to buy a ford explorer st when all i asked, in peaceful conversation, was how much he was selling them for?

Youre putting gasoline on me and ready to light the match when ive done you no harm, brother.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
What can you get me on an explorer st, lol

Nice chatting with you. :)

Who said im looking for a new explorer st?

You.

Not a fiscally smart move for me atm. But ty.

75635-E37-6-F6-D-421-C-B3-A3-BD3834-E8-DA04.gif

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I already bought one, buying another one isnt fiscally smart for me at the moment.

So you went to a dealer, you were unhappy they gave you a stupid high price and kept all the holdback money for themselves, and despite all that you purchased anyway?

Bet you wish you would have gone to Chuck Anderson Ford first....

jmsa540

Established Member
Im not backpeddling at all. It was just casual conversation.

Are they nice? Yes, absolutely.

But like i said earlier, just bought a vehicle a while ago, at this current moment its not smart for me to buy another brand new vehicle thats well into the 50ks.

Just to clarify, the reason why i started this thread was to pass on future knowledge of potential car buyers and see what others on this forum thought.

jmsa540

Established Member
No brother, not at all. Im very satisfied with my purchase, tbh. :)
So you went to a dealer, you were unhappy they gave you a stupid high price and kept all the holdback money for themselves, and despite all that you purchased anyway?

Bet you wish you would have gone to Chuck Anderson Ford first....

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Holdback is always 0-3% and never more. Here is the current list of 2020 manufacturers and their holdback.

2020 Dealer Holdback Chart by Manufacturer
Manufacturer Dealer Holdback
Acura 2% of base MSRP
Audi No dealer holdback available
BMW No dealer holdback available
Buick 3% of total MSRP
Cadillac 3% of total MSRP
Chevrolet 3% of total MSRP
Chrysler 3% of total MSRP
Dodge 3% of total MSRP
Fiat 3% of total MSRP
Ford 3% of total MSRP
GMC 3% of total MSRP
Honda 2% of base MSRP
Hyundai 3% of total MSRP
Infiniti 1.5% of base MSRP
Jaguar No dealer holdback available
Jeep 3% of total MSRP
Kia 3% of base MSRP
Land Rover No dealer holdback available
Lexus 2% of base MSRP
Lincoln No dealer holdback available
Mazda 1% of base MSRP
Mercedes Benz 1% of total MSRP
Mercury 3% of total MSRP
Mini No dealer holdback available
Mitsubishi 2% of base MSRP
Nissan 2% of total invoice
Porsche No dealer holdback available
Ram 3% of total MSRP
Scion No dealer holdback available
Smart 3% of total MSRP
Subaru 2% of total MSRP (may vary in the Northern U.S.A.)
Toyota 2% of base MSRP
Volkswagen 2% of base MSRP
Volvo 1% of base MSRP
Mercury.... ?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
No brother, not at all. Im very satisfied with my purchase, tbh. :)

Then why this thread?

You stated you wanted to know if holdback was real insinuating that you didnt know what it was and were about to pay too much. If you were happy with your purchase there would be no questions.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
@13COBRA Does ordering a vehicle for a customer give a dealer incentive to cut to the lowest price during price negotiation? Assuming the customer knows exactly what they want and its not a low volume vehicle. For this example, assume its an F450 at a large volume dealer.

Its been loosely explained to me by some former sales managers ive worked with that an ordered car with a nearly guaranteed purchase means that car doesnt need to be taken into account for advertising, fees paid to the factory to keep the vehicle on the lot till sold etc. They were more inclined to give them the lowest price they could.

Could have been bullshit, but perhaps not.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford's holdback is now 2%.

The holdback is for the dealer for holding costs on the interest they pay while the vehicle is in their possession.

The lowest possible price you can buy a new car for? $1.
The lowest possible price a dealer would sell you a new car for? Whatever makes sense to them.

This isn't a black/white game of total sums. There are some cars I'd sell on the first day and lose $1,000 on. There are some cars I wouldn't sell on the first day making $5,000.

Kinda a weak question without a lot of background information explaining further.

If you're shopping for a car, shop far and wide. I guarantee any competent dealer that you're dealing with will have the same data and should be able to justify their final price within the market. If they can't, buy somewhere else.

The 'best deal' on a new vehicle isn't based on how much you can negotiate, it's based on the rest of the market and what they're selling for. If you sit down and try to negotiate with me and I know the market will bear my price, we'll kindly shake hands and you'll be on your way.
Still waiting on that GT350R for $58K OTD.....;)

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Im not backpeddling at all. It was just casual conversation.

Are they nice? Yes, absolutely.

But like i said earlier, just bought a vehicle a while ago, at this current moment its not smart for me to buy another brand new vehicle thats well into the 50ks.

Just to clarify, the reason why i started this thread was to pass on future knowledge of potential car buyers and see what others on this forum thought.

For whatever reason, you really annoy me.
@13COBRA Does ordering a vehicle for a customer give a dealer incentive to cut to the lowest price during price negotiation? Assuming the customer knows exactly what they want and its not a low volume vehicle. For this example, assume its an F450 at a large volume dealer.

Its been loosely explained to me by some former sales managers ive worked with that an ordered car with a nearly guaranteed purchase means that car doesnt need to be taken into account for advertising, fees paid to the factory to keep the vehicle on the lot till sold etc. They were more inclined to give them the lowest price they could.

Could have been bullshit, but perhaps not.
Yes and no.

Dealers dont push hard for them because they're months away from being paid.

Dealers know that within a few days of landing they're gone.

Typically if I had the EXACT truck you were ordering in stock, you would get the exact same price whether you ordered or took mine out of stock.

Now if I had to go to another dealer to get the truck, or order...the order would be cheaper, as typically on dealer trades the selling dealer doesn't get the holdback.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
For whatever reason, you really annoy me.Yes and no.

Dealers dont push hard for them because they're months away from being paid.

Dealers know that within a few days of landing they're gone.

Typically if I had the EXACT truck you were ordering in stock, you would get the exact same price whether you ordered or took mine out of stock.

Now if I had to go to another dealer to get the truck, or order...the order would be cheaper, as typically on dealer trades the selling dealer doesn't get the holdback.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk
Much appreciated, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread