Car puttering, i can hear it thru exhaust

army_man1014

Established Member
So last week i posted on here that i thought my FRPS might of went bad or the FPDM. I didn't get a new sensor nor the control module box but yesterday i changed my plugs thinking maybe the gap is to big causing the car to putter well thats not it. I put NGk Iridium plugs in at .60 gap like i was told and today coming home from work she felt even worse. She putters thru out the whole power band. I know this problem has to be fuel related. what do u guys think i should do?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
That gap is way to big!!!Not sure what mods you have,but judging by your #`s gap them down around .032-.034.I`d bet money you`re getting blow out,and change the fuel filter if you never have.G/L

army_man1014

Established Member
ok i will change the gap to .32. I store told me that gap was .60 is there a reason it should be lower .

I want to change the fuel filter today. Do i need any special tools for that

clone93gt

Established Member
factory is .52-.56 why they would tell you 60 I dont know why the store said that. I need to be lower as the high the cylinder pressure is this more resistance it take to jump the gap which the coil cant jump at factory settings. As cylinder pressure goes up you need to come down on the gap or go up on the coil power or both.

You will need the special ford fuel line tools which you can pick up from advanced or autozone for 15 bucks or cheaper.

army_man1014

Established Member
factory is .52-.56 why they would tell you 60 I dont know why the store said that. I need to be lower as the high the cylinder pressure is this more resistance it take to jump the gap which the coil cant jump at factory settings. As cylinder pressure goes up you need to come down on the gap or go up on the coil power or both.

You will need the special ford fuel line tools which you can pick up from advanced or autozone for 15 bucks or cheaper.

ok thanks man...Im going to change the gap today(ugh what a pain to get the back plugs out) and also get a new fuel filter

yellow03vert

Established Member
I think once you change your plug gap the car should run fine. Changing your fuel filter is always a good idea as well.

army_man1014

Established Member
ok im tryin to change my filter now...is it a must to drop the tank to change the filter...cause i just called a shop and they said they drop it to change the fuel filter..

also do u need the tool to change it urself...

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You don`t need to drop the tank.Just get the line disconnect tool,there isn`t a lot of room to get both hands up there.
Note:Get a decent tool,not those cheap plastic ones.

army_man1014

Established Member
ok well i changed the Gap to .32 like requested and also i sprayed my MAF with some MAF cleaner...RIght now im heading over to Auto zone to get the quick disconnect tool so i can take the fuel filter off...wish me luck, i hope this fixes her

DE07GT

Established Member
ok well i changed the Gap to .32 like requested and also i sprayed my MAF with some MAF cleaner...RIght now im heading over to Auto zone to get the quick disconnect tool so i can take the fuel filter off...wish me luck, i hope this fixes her
You might want to try and see if changing the plugs and cleaning the MAF fixed it before you change the fuel filter. I'd still change the filter for good measure, but if it's fixed after you do all of those things, you wouldn't know exactly what caused the problem.

army_man1014

Established Member
well i changed the fuel filter and cleaned MAF and she still does it..I can get on her more now though, so i think it helped a little ..now she feels like shes hittin fuel cut off around 5000-5400 rpms when i go WOT. She goes deeper in RPM's when i partial throttle her..

Im thinking its the tune now. THe car was tuned in IL and now im in Jersey, so the elevation and humidity i think is causing her to go lean in upper rpm's. I want to find a good tuner and add a little more fuel in the higher RPM doing WOT

metaman

Established Member
Sounds like you have one or more bad ignition coils. Mine did the same thing when I lost one. The problem got worse over a couple of days. Snag a couple of new ones so you can have an extra. Then you will have to one by one swap the new one with the existing ones until the car runs right.

dirtydave289

Established Member
you can test the coils using a multimeter. Someone will come in with the specs but I believe its like less than 1 ohm and like 4.5k ohms or something. My car was doing the same thing and it ended up needing coil boots. they were like $1.98 each at oreilys and fixed it right up. HUGE difference. old boots = horrible misfire above 3.5k and new boots = never run better.

edit - I've heard of people having bad coils that tested good though

army_man1014

Established Member
ugh ****ing dealerships are the worse people to deal with...long story quick, i ordered a FRPS yest, the guy said yea be in tomm pick it up after 10..well i leave work and get there at 430 pm..he said on it not here yet..i said well dont u think a phone call is sufficient enough so i dont waste my time...he said there was 2 options, refund me my money or wait to MONDAY after 1 to pick it up...I refuse to see another dealership for any concern whats so ever ever again.

well anyways im about to install the new FPDM i got, and monday i will get the FRPS in...hopefully this fixes my problem or it looks like im dropping the tank ugh

army_man1014

Established Member
Nope, no lights are on..It throws code P0148, which is fuel delivery code..tomm. i pick up my FRPS and if that doesnt fix the issue then im gonna drop the tank and look for a broken hose or something.

Users who are viewing this thread