Car keeps dying??

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
This has happened to me twice now. I'm out driving my cobra and it dies on me all of a sudden. The first time was when I was doing a U-turn under the highway, I had the clutch all the way in and was just rolling with the car in 2nd gear. When I turned at the 2nd part of the U-turn the car just dies. So I re-start it and drive home with no further problems. The second time was similar to the first. I had the clutch all the way in rolling down my street with the car in 1st about to pull into my driveway. When I turned the wheel to go into my driveway the car died. I re-started it and pulled it into the garage.

What is causing this to happen? Should I put more power steering fluid in it? The fluid is below the second line.

Jefe

Established Member
Struggling to idle then dies or just shuts off? MAF moved away from the 10-11 oclock position?

metaman

Established Member
Could be EGR, Could be the tune. Mine was doing this and it ended up being a combo of the EGR solenoid and the DPFE sensor.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
It doesn't struggle at all. Both times it just died when I turned..I'm probably going to call the people that built the car and see what they think it is.

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
happened to me today also with new fuel pumps, so I am going to raise the idle 100 rpm with my tuner. Should fix it. It seems to run fine otherwise.

Jr Mint

Established Member
It's the stall. These cars have been doing this for years. My first 03 back in 03 did this when I would turn, or stop, just randomly and not often, start back up and drive normal...this is not an abnormality

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Sounds like the stall issue to me.Mine did the same till I got it tuned when I did my pulley swap.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
I took the cobra out again today to get something to eat. On the way there, it didn't die and ran fine. But on the way back, at a stop sign it died so I started it quickly and took off. Then after driving 5 seconds it died again so I pulled over and tried to start it. This time it wouldn't start so I gave it a couple seconds then it started and died again. Then I re-started it and didn't let off the gas and drove home. When I pulled into my driveway it died and had trouble starting back up. Anyone else ever had this problem???

fduve

Established Member
I took the cobra out again today to get something to eat. On the way there, it didn't die and ran fine. But on the way back, at a stop sign it died so I started it quickly and took off. Then after driving 5 seconds it died again so I pulled over and tried to start it. This time it wouldn't start so I gave it a couple seconds then it started and died again. Then I re-started it and didn't let off the gas and drove home. When I pulled into my driveway it died and had trouble starting back up. Anyone else ever had this problem???

I had a similar problem with my 00GT, it was a bad IAC (Idle Air Control) solenoid valve. The part was $80 from the dealership and took me 10 minutes to install.

03yellow

Established Member
After I got my blower ported my car started to do the same thing.
I went crazy trying to find it. I finally put back in an old tune and it stopped.

Somehow the stall fix was not in the new tune. Or got dumped.

To check for "the stall" exit the freeway (60+ mph) and push in the clutch and come to a stop rather quickly. Watch your RPMs. If they drop below 500 and the car struggles or dies before it can come up to idle; you may have lost the stall fix.
You can try other stops or duplicate the U turn you made ...Watch the RPMs
They should never drop below 400.

I had a million people tell me to turn my MAF to some other position; Has that ever worked for anything??? LOL

03yellow

Established Member
Sorry didnt see this post.

Sounds like your FRPS. Go unplug it(just the elect. connector)...should start right up. Your car will run sluggish when you let off the gas with the FRPS unpluged but you can still drive it.

Change your oil after you replace it!

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I'm for sure calling the shop that built my car tomorrow and asking them what they think it is. I popped the hood and looked for anything wrong but didn't find anything. I moved the MAFia next to the air filter because when I pulled it up from where it was, the MAFia was really hot. It scares the crap out of me when i'm driving and all of a sudden it dies.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
Sorry didnt see this post.

Sounds like your FRPS. Go unplug it(just the elect. connector)...should start right up. Your car will run sluggish when you let off the gas with the FRPS unpluged but you can still drive it.

Change your oil after you replace it!

Where is the FRPS connector at? Sry i'm used to working on old mopars not late model mustangs. lol

03yellow

Established Member
Did you try unplugging your FRPS.. bet she fires right up. Heres a pic just push in on the clip (think its towards you... push it with your thumb)and lift it off. Its the one circled.

[ame=http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13592]03/04 Cobra FRPS and other blower-mounted components identified - ModularFords.com[/ame]

Thanks for the input guys. I'm for sure calling the shop that built my car tomorrow and asking them what they think it is. I popped the hood and looked for anything wrong but didn't find anything. I moved the MAFia next to the air filter because when I pulled it up from where it was, the MAFia was really hot. It scares the crap out of me when i'm driving and all of a sudden it dies.

Last edited:

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member

03yellow

Established Member
It could die with your frps unplugged. It will run sluggish and drop Rpms when letting off the gas. But it should start.
If it dosent start then yes its more than likley your alternator!

Alright i'll try that thanks! So I go unplug it and drive to see if it dies again? Could it be the alternator or battery?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread