car is running hot!!!

ssblubyyou

Established Member
I recently had an overheating issue and took it a ford dealership who replaced the t-stat with a 180* and drilled it with 4 holes. The car seemed to run normal. I have since installed an autometer temp gauge and put it in the crossover tube, I've noticed it is leaking where I installed the sensor. Well it was reading anywhere from 93*c-100*c for a second using the factory temp gauge in the test mode....my autometer guage is usually reading 210*F or a tick above. This sounds way to hot for me!!!! I figured the temp should be around 180*F- 190*F? Does it sound like I have an air pocket from the leak around the sensor? I want to get this fixed before I mess the car up big time! Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Also the factory needle reads normal for the temp....so if I didn't have the autometer guage or have checked the test mode readout I would have never noticed this issue I'm having!!!!!

Last edited:

ssblubyyou

Established Member
also I the autometer guage went to about 240*f once when I looked down.....I immediately turned on the heat and it started to cool......pulled in my driveway and shut it down!!!! Thats when I started to moniter my issue and noticed it!!!! This overheating crap is driving me crazy with this car!!! Other than that ......it's an awsome car and I'm not giving it up for a vette! Can't wait to fix it and get it tuned by amazon for my nx wet kit that i just installed !!!!

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Keep an eye on it with the Temp guage...if you didn't have it, you would have had some major damage...

ssblubyyou

Established Member
I guess my two questions would be:

1) does it sound as if I've got an air pocket from the leak or just a little low of coolant?

2) What should the normal opperating tempurature be for my car *F or *C* either one?

Thanks!!!!

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
It's a known fact that the factory thermostat doesn't fully open until it reaches over 200*. The aftermarket 180's are not correct for our cars and allow the bypass to flow coolant all the time which is bad. That means the coolant is bypassing the radiator at all times. Joel Miller (JM Productions on here) is making custom 170* thermostats for our cars now that don't require any drilling. They open fulley at just above 170*. He uses the factory style thermostat with a 170* spring which allows the stat to block off the bypass correctly. I just installed one in my car and don't have any real #'s yet, but there are some people on here that have had great results.

Other than that, the first thing you need to do is propery burp the system. Do some searching on here and you'll find the correct way to do that. If you are still running the stock stat, your going to see temps in the high 190's and low 200's. That's too hot for my liking, that's why I got the custom stat from JM Productions.

Mystic03

Established Member
my car runs 180-190stop n go but my autometer reads 210 i think its because of the location since its right next to the header but at night it reads normal at 180

nealc

Established Member
i have an aftermarket t-stat and have not had any issues yet. It is a 180 and the car does not get over like 192 on 90 degree days.

Juruense

Banned
I recently had an overheating issue and took it a ford dealership who replaced the t-stat with a 180* and drilled it with 4 holes. The car seemed to run normal. I have since installed an autometer temp gauge and put it in the crossover tube, I've noticed it is leaking where I installed the sensor. Well it was reading anywhere from 93*c-100*c for a second using the factory temp gauge in the test mode....my autometer guage is usually reading 210*F or a tick above. This sounds way to hot for me!!!! I figured the temp should be around 180*F- 190*F? Does it sound like I have an air pocket from the leak around the sensor? I want to get this fixed before I mess the car up big time! Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Also the factory needle reads normal for the temp....so if I didn't have the autometer guage or have checked the test mode readout I would have never noticed this issue I'm having!!!!!
Well there ya go not only does fluid come OUT air goes IN at that leak point. More and more air is getting in there. You need to seal that up and then have the dealership use their special equipment to bleed the air out of the cooling system.

You should also keep in mind that the temps from a 50/50 mix and lets say a 20/80 mix are going to be significantly different. I'm assuming you have a 50/50 mix since Ford turned the wrenches.

On a related note, I think a lot of you guys should follow PistolWhips advice and pm JMProductions regarding a t-stat he put together. It has the potential to put a dent in these cooling issues and can spare you the expense of going for an aftermarket radiator that isn't going to bring you a dramatic reduction in temps.

ssblubyyou

Established Member
does anyone know how I can contact Joel Miller @JM Productions to get a 170* t-stat? I searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks!!

JRE

Banned
You should also keep in mind that the temps from a 50/50 mix and lets say a 20/80 mix are going to be significantly different.

Why do you say the coolant temps will be different comparing a 50/50 water/antifreeze mix to a 20/80 water/antifreeze mix? Water by itself is an excellent heat exchanger. The addition of antifreeze simply raises the boil over temp and allows the car to run hotter before overheating. And of course the water/antifreeze mix keeps the coolant from freezing in the winter, which is probably even more important b/c if you had a car that never reached 212 degree F, then straight water could be used without the car ever over heating. Example: adding Evans NPG+ coolant will not make your car run cooler...the website will even tell you this. What it will do is allow your car to run hotter without vaporizing and causing hot spots that will make detonation that much more likely. So, I guess I don't follow your logic here. :shrug:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
does anyone know how I can contact Joel Miller @JM Productions to get a 170* t-stat? I searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks!!

I see you got the link. I'll be adding a link to Joel's site on my website very soon. It's nice to promote a product that really contributes to the Terminator community. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread