Car is missing?

Tispho

Established Member
When I had traction control on it felt like someone went all Fus Roh Dah on the front of my stang everytime I shifted.

Turn off the Traction Control (TC) by clicking the TC button once

btw turning off TC does not turn off stability control

to turn everything off, stop the car, foot on brake, hold for 6 seconds, let go of button

Last edited:

RTD

Established Member
And that takes care of MPLearn? Is this fix similar to the debated other processes and nobody really knows what to do?

It re-learns the crank position sensor zero position. It states to do this in the installation instructions for Track Key and notes you will have to redo it any time you disconnect the battery.

I don't believe it will clear misfire codes, that requires the IDS tool, though I think they will clear themselves after a certain number of starts without a code.

AZBOSS

Established Member
It re-learns the crank position sensor zero position. It states to do this in the installation instructions for Track Key and notes you will have to redo it any time you disconnect the battery.

I don't believe it will clear misfire codes, that requires the IDS tool, though I think they will clear themselves after a certain number of starts without a code.

Yeah I'm not certain that will handle the Neutral Profile Relearn, based on this reading below from Ford's 2012 OBD diagnostics overview: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/obdsm1202.pdf

Neutral Profile Correction and Non-Volatile Memory
Neutral profile learning is used at End of Line to learn profile correction via a series of one or more neutral engine
rpm throttle snaps.
This allows the Misfire Monitor to be activated at the Assembly Plant. A Test Tool command is
required to enable this method of learning, so this method will only be performed by a Plant or Service technician.

Learning profile correction factors at high-speed (3,000 rpm) neutral conditions versus during 60-40 mph decels
optimizes correction factors for higher rpms where they are most needed and eliminates driveline/transmission and
road noise effects. This improves signal to noise characteristics which means improved detection capability.
The profile correction factors learned at the Assembly Plant are stored into non-volatile memory. This eliminates
the need for specific customer drive cycles. However, misfire profiles may need to be relearned in the Service Bay
using a service procedure if major engine work is done or the PCM is replaced. (Re-learning is not required for a
reflash.)
The 60-40 mph decel profile learning algorithm has been left active in the software as a backup.

So it's not just letting the car idle for 5 mins+.

Anyways the labor time shown in the TSB for the Random Misfires is only 0.3 hours to do the MMNPL procedure, so just take it in...

Last edited:

torkey

Established Member
Sorry to revive an old thread- just wanted to get an update here from anyone that has been having the misfire with their car- any luck on getting it taken care of?

I just had the car at the dealer for the 3rd time for this- Still no codes, and of course couldnt be replicated. Would data logging be a possible way to figure out what is going on? I would love to start modding the car but I cant bring myself to tune the car or put any parts on with the car occasionally having this misfire

Tyler72

Established Member
My car was terrible while cold. I wouldn't call it a Misfire, but the car had bad hesitation & surging during normal acceleration. Felt like the car was bogging then it would just take off at a certain RPM without changing the rate of throttle application.

I got a tune from AED & its all better now!

torkey

Established Member
Hmm mine happens usualy when its cooler as well. Were you getting a flashing CEL?

pufferfish

Established Member
Dealer performed Misfire Profile Learn worked to clear my misfire codes.

To the OP, if you haven't gotten flashing CEL followed by limp mode, you are not experiencing misfires. This engine's VViT tends to be a bit "notchy". It doesn't seem to shift the cam timing smoothly, resulting in a sort of hesitation.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I have had this multiple times. First off it started happening like 4-5 times a week, now its down to once every few weeks-month. I get a flashing CEL when it happens. The power is cut. then the CEL stops flashing eventually (usually 30sec to 1 min) and then its back to full power. Usually happens when the car is coolish- within a couple minutes of beginning to drive it. Ive had it checked at multiple dealers, never leaves a code history. Wish i knew wtf it was. Bothered the shit out of me when it started. Car currently has 7900 miles on it and started this probably within the first thousand.
The dealer tech can look at misfire counts per cylinder...have they done this?

Saleenrose

Established Member
Anytime there is a blinking check engine light it means there is a immediate emission failure, and will leave a history code. Simple problem to find, maybe a bad coil or plug. Don't over think it.

torkey

Established Member
The dealer tech can look at misfire counts per cylinder...have they done this?

I will take a look- they keep telling me they do all these readings and software checks and calls to the hotlines etc and can't find anything- but this is something I will mention to them next time the car goes in- I told them once it happens again I'm bringing the car back.

Anytime there is a blinking check engine light it means there is a immediate emission failure, and will leave a history code. Simple problem to find, maybe a bad coil or plug. Don't over think it.

I wish it were that simple- they state they cannot find any stored codes (both dealerships the car has been to). They stated they would let me use something to freeze a code while its happening but then stated they dont use those anymore so thats out.

Would a datalogger be a reasonable tool to help pinpoint a problem?

darreng505

Established Member
A blinking CEL means a "pending code", the ECU may or may not store the code. It's more like a warning that the ECU is "confused", but it may resolve itself and disappear.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I have a slight hesitation in the previously mentioned rpms... But I also get surges during part throttle acceleration when the car is cold. It is with either key. I do have the track key. I talked to the dealer about it and they tried to tell me it was due to the track key programing. Well I have lived with it... I have never had any CELs since new..

Last edited:

Saleenrose

Established Member
Mode 6 in a scan tool will give you info, while happening you could have a scan tool to look at misfires. A blinking CEL is a Emissions Failure, made to blink so as to make the owner scared and return car to be fixed. Most always a misfire. Do you have a tuner in the car.

torkey

Established Member
I have a slight hesitation in the previously mentioned rpms... But I also get surges during part throttle acceleration when the car is cold. It is with either key. I do have the track key. I talked to the dealer about it and they tried to tell me it was due to the track key programing. Well I have lived with it... I have never had any CELs since new..

Yeah thats why I havent done anything to the car yet- not giving them any reason to blame it on something else. Want to get it resolved so that I can look into an AED tune.

Mode 6 in a scan tool will give you info, while happening you could have a scan tool to look at misfires. A blinking CEL is a Emissions Failure, made to blink so as to make the owner scared and return car to be fixed. Most always a misfire. Do you have a tuner in the car.

No, no tuner in the car.

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
Have you disconnected the battery for 15min and then let the car idle with the silver key? I saw the post about a service tool being required, but this certainly can't hurt. When you look at your LCD info center, are there any warnings under the Information section?

It almost sounds like something wasn't done properly when the Trackey was tune was installed. Perhaps you can take it back to the dealer where the work was performed and have them reprogram it if the problem continues?

torkey

Established Member
Have you disconnected the battery for 15min and then let the car idle with the silver key? I saw the post about a service tool being required, but this certainly can't hurt. When you look at your LCD info center, are there any warnings under the Information section?

It almost sounds like something wasn't done properly when the Trackey was tune was installed. Perhaps you can take it back to the dealer where the work was performed and have them reprogram it if the problem continues?

I dont have the track key program- have held off on any tuning due to this issue. Car is in the shop for the 4th time for this issue...a master tech took my car home last night to see if he could replicate the issue.. so F$%king over this crap! :mj:

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
What is interesting with the surging I have is I don't believe it was doing it when I first got the car or the track key. I have noticed as time has gone on. My car is about a year and a half old with just 7.5 k miles. Anyone else feel that way?

86Fbody

Established Member
What is interesting with the surging I have is I don't believe it was doing it when I first got the car or the track key. I have noticed as time has gone on. My car is about a year and a half old with just 7.5 k miles. Anyone else feel that way?

May be that you have begun noticing things on the car that were always there. I don't think I ever noticed surging or hesitation until I was comfortable with the car.

Users who are viewing this thread