Car is missing?

EliteSweep

Established Member
I am fairly certain that it is not in my head and I can literally feel the car "missing" under normal driving conditions. It almost feels like something is holding the car back or its choking. I have yet to even floor my car so I am not to sure what the deal is. Do I possibly need a tune? It is a 2013 Boss 302 with a catback exhaust kit only... Anyone else experience this?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Whew, at first I thought "missing" meant someone had stolen it.

LostPony

Established Member
When mine is cold, I sometimes feel a hesitation that could be described as a miss under partial throttle constant speed, like holding it at a steady 3,000 or so RPM in 4th gear. Once it warms up it seems fine. Most of the time I warm the car up for several minutes before I drive, so I haven't felt it lately. I have talked about this with another Boss owner and he said he had similar experience. He also mentioned that he brought it up to others and they look at him like he's nuts!

Mine has 21,700 miles on it, and other than the TracKey, is completely stock.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
When mine is cold, I sometimes feel a hesitation that could be described as a miss under partial throttle constant speed, like holding it at a steady 3,000 or so RPM in 4th gear. Once it warms up it seems fine. Most of the time I warm the car up for several minutes before I drive, so I haven't felt it lately. I have talked about this with another Boss owner and he said he had similar experience. He also mentioned that he brought it up to others and they look at him like he's nuts!

Mine has 21,700 miles on it, and other than the TracKey, is completely stock.

I have had the same experience. Not everyone is in tune with their car to notice things like this... I mean to me it is very obvious.

The the OP... My boss has felt zippier and zippier with more miles. I have just under 5k now... I did dyno the car at 1k in stock trim and it made 387 rwhp sae... So I know it was fine then, but it feels so much quicker now... I need to dyno it again.

Last edited:

EliteSweep

Established Member
Interesting. I definitely feel the hesitation there and it pisses me off. I'll keep in tune with it and see if anything changes. Hopefully its just not a bad thing.

torkey

Established Member
I have had this multiple times. First off it started happening like 4-5 times a week, now its down to once every few weeks-month. I get a flashing CEL when it happens. The power is cut. then the CEL stops flashing eventually (usually 30sec to 1 min) and then its back to full power. Usually happens when the car is coolish- within a couple minutes of beginning to drive it. Ive had it checked at multiple dealers, never leaves a code history. Wish i knew wtf it was. Bothered the shit out of me when it started. Car currently has 7900 miles on it and started this probably within the first thousand.

dmv091

Established Member
This sounds like the cam sensor issue. It can be loose and cause issues take it in and have them check it.

torkey

Established Member
This sounds like the cam sensor issue. It can be loose and cause issues take it in and have them check it.

mentioned this to the service advisor and the technician that was working on my car. They agreed that could be a problem and kept the car another day to check that sensor as well do a recalibration/reset on it- still hasnt resolved the problem

IamRacerX

Established Member
My missing is minor and only happens on cold start... It feels worse with the silver key. But I mainly use the track key so I don't notice it much. But as I said, it is minor and only when the car is just started.

Whosthe

Established Member
Forgive me for not recalling where I read this but this issue was raised before and my car does it as well. I think a Ford tech referred to it as a "trailer" effect i.e like something heavy holding the car back at a certain speed or rpm.
Unfortunately, it may be "normal" although it sure does not feel normal.

13GBstang

Established Member
It sounds like you need the misfire monitor reset.. MPLearn.. When the dealer programs your track key the need to perform an MPLearn (misfire profile learn). I've seen 2 different Bosses, one 12 and one 13. They both had track keys. They both had misfire codes. Reset MPLearn and they have been perfect since.

IamRacerX

Established Member
It sounds like you need the misfire monitor reset.. MPLearn.. When the dealer programs your track key the need to perform an MPLearn (misfire profile learn). I've seen 2 different Bosses, one 12 and one 13. They both had track keys. They both had misfire codes. Reset MPLearn and they have been perfect since.
Would this apply to my slight missing at cold start too?

School BOSS

Established Member

I assume this needs to be done at the dealer? Has anyone else tried this, as I'm really growing grumpy with my BOSS.

RTD

Established Member
I assume this needs to be done at the dealer? Has anyone else tried this, as I'm really growing grumpy with my BOSS.

No. All you have to do is start the car with the silver key (trans in neutral, parking brake set, let clutch out after starting) and let it idle for 5 minutes. The car must remain stationary and no touching of the throttle for the full 5 minutes. That's it.

School BOSS

Established Member
No. All you have to do is start the car with the silver key (trans in neutral, parking brake set, let clutch out after starting) and let it idle for 5 minutes. The car must remain stationary and no touching of the throttle for the full 5 minutes. That's it.

And that takes care of MPLearn? Is this fix similar to the debated other processes and nobody really knows what to do?

Users who are viewing this thread