Car is dead - ideas?

KDog

Established Member
As if I didn't have enough shit to deal with, I'm sitting at a red light and the radio cuts out for 2 seconds or so. Then at the next light it cuts out again, twice. :dw: To top it all of, right as I get in my parking spot at home the car dies - no power, no accessory anything, nothing. So , I'm thinking the alternator bit the dust and I drained whatever else I had in the battery on the way home. Thoughts?

KDog

Established Member
Not that I saw, but it might have. Sometimes where I have the seat adjusted the view of the indicator panel can be blocked depending on how I'm sitting.

03yellow

Established Member
Yep,
Just did that. You can charge your battery and get the car home if you already have not done so.

I had mine rebuilt for $125 it took 3hrs and looked brand new. They were also able to beef it up with better parts.

Make sure that you get another 130 amp alt.

Most of the auto parts stores will hand you over the wrong alt:it will either be a 105 amp or a 130amp with the wrong brackets. I finally had mine rebuilt because of all the confusion.

fr03cobra

Established Member
mine died after 6k miles. under warranty. I dove about 30 miles with the battery light on before it killed over on me at a stop light, 3 miles from home.

KDog

Established Member
Damn, that sucks. Well, I could go the warranty route or just pick up one of the PA alternators.

Last edited:

KDog

Established Member
As long as they diagnose the problem as the alternator, I don't see why they wouldn't. You're actually saving them money on the parts I would think.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ford isn't going to use a non-Ford replacement part, plain and simple. A warranty repair will mean a replacement Ford alternator. They will not use a PA alternator.

If it were me, I'd go the warranty route rather than pay out money I didn't have to. PA alternators, though, are better overall.

KDog

Established Member
Just an update - I got it to the dealership on Saturday, and decided to have them check a few TSB items out while it was there. Now I remember why people hate dealerships so much.

When it came to the "seat rub" TSB, first he claimed there was at least 2" of space between the door and seat and he wasn't going to fix it. :dw: So I asked that they open the door and identify why I have two spots on the leather where it is _rubbed_ a different color. The tech claimed the visible signs on the passenger seat were from something where it "looked like I was hit". When I told him I wasn't never hit there, he all but said I was lying because he saw something in OASIS saying I had a rental car at one point. Yeah, and that was because another dealership made a mistake and had to fix it. What an ass.

The car dying he says was from a battery, so they replaced it. I'm doubting that now as well.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
My Stock Battery failed with no warning within the first 6 months of owning the car. No Alternator problem, Battery replaced, never happened again.

Users who are viewing this thread