Car hasn't ran for about 2 years, should I prime the oil pump before cranking?

Stopsign32v

Established Member
What I want to know is, I know the hold the throttle to the floor to cut the spark and prevent it from starting to prime the oil pump. What I am worried about is since it hasn't run in 2 years that the crankshaft bearing and rod bearings will take a beating if I do this method vs the garden hose prime the oil pump method.

Am I over thinking it or will I cause damage if I do it the first way?

slowgreycobra

Established Member
I tore one of my 302s down last night. It hasn't ran since 2009. Everything was still covered in engine oil inside and was well lubed. It should be fine.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
do not use the pedal down method - the oil pump doesn't spin up enough on the starter to help. Either fire it up normally or drain and prime with a sprayer.

I vote just fire it up.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've rebuilt a couple 4.6's and swapped oil pumps in a couple more. Each time oil pressure came up within a second or two of firing up. I say fire it up as well.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
I just had the same situation last year. Fire it up, like what was said above, oil pressure will come up instantly.

Papaw

Established Member
There is still a film of oil in all the bearings, plenty enough to lube them until the oil pressure resumes.
Fire it up.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You're fine with just starting it as you normally would.

Turn On Car Keys GIF by GEICO

dazwelding

Established Member
I see everyone is recommending to fire it up, but I primed mine before starting when it sat for a couple years. Good to know it should have been fine either way.

cj428mach

Established Member
I'd prime it. I bought my 03 with 7500 miles on it in 2013. The car fax showed it had 4000 miles put on it the first year so it did a lot of sitting after that. The heads were off by 9000 miles for the head tick and there was some cam journal wear from lack of oil probably on dry start ups. Not bad but I've seen heads with 10x the mileage with no wear.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm going to ask an excerpt to OP's question,
What about the fuel? My car has also been sitting for 2 years and I'm not sure what to do about what's in the fuel tank

slowgreycobra

Established Member
I'm going to ask an excerpt to OP's question,
What about the fuel? My car has also been sitting for 2 years and I'm not sure what to do about what's in the fuel tank
What does it smell like? Does it smell like gas, or varnish? With my Mach 1 it doesn't have a sealed tank so after a few years it smelled like varnish. After a decade, it didn't have gas in the tank anymore. Problem "solved". My 03 Cobra sat for over a year and it fired up fine. I did smell the gas and it still smelled like gas. If it stinks like varnish, I would drain the tank and put in fresh premium. A fuel filter change probably wouldn't be a bad idea also.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
If anyone is curious:

Fired it straight up like I drove it the day before. I did drain all the oil out and do a complete oil change with new 5w-20 synthetic. Fired right up and no weird noises or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread