Car got keyed, need camera?

Drew1204

Established Member
My M3 got keyed last night. I need to know the best solution for using some time of very tiny camera/ cameras to catch whoever did it if it happens again or any other solution you guys know of. Thanks in advance.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You have to park it outside your home? No garage? If this happened away from your home it's going to be tough to do a camera surveillance system.

Drew1204

Established Member
I live in an apartment and it happened in our parking garage. The parking garage is well lit too, but I have tinted windows and it might be difficult to see with a camera.

konradr

Ford Mustang
Established Member
I hope you catch them. As for a camera, I would just use a little USB one for a laptop. Maybe put it under the car. Run the USB up into the trunk, climb in trunk with a aluminum baseball bat (so it makes that cool "ting" sound), a laptop with two batteries so you can watch outside, keyless entry remote, and a 1.75 of JD. Wait till those f***ers come back and unleash hell.

Last edited:

my95z28

Established Member
I would park in the same spot every time and have the a camera that can see your entire car.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
Talk to the landlord to see if maybe you can get some other people willing to chip into buying some security camera for the garage?

SVT4ME

Established Member
Do you have someone in mind that may have it out for you? Let's say you capture the perps on film, will you recognize them?

Drew1204

Established Member
Do you have someone in mind that may have it out for you? Let's say you capture the perps on film, will you recognize them?

Thanks, yeah I would. I think I know who's doing it, just need to catch them. Any ideas on cameras that would work and be easy to hide in this situation?

Drew1204

Established Member
Not a bad idea...

I need something that is wireless most likely that would be above the car so I can see the person who is doing it including their face.

Also, since it is in a garage with a lot of cars in it I don't have access to a power supply so it would have to be battery operated and needs to record for at least 24 hours.

I guess I could maybe find a camera to put in the car but I am sure I would need a few then otherwise if I were to only use 1 facing the rear someone could mess with the front and I'd miss it.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Not a bad idea...

I need something that is wireless most likely that would be above the car so I can see the person who is doing it including their face.

Also, since it is in a garage with a lot of cars in it I don't have access to a power supply so it would have to be battery operated and needs to record for at least 24 hours.

I guess I could maybe find a camera to put in the car but I am sure I would need a few then otherwise if I were to only use 1 facing the rear someone could mess with the front and I'd miss it.

Your gonna want to mount it as low as possible with out being able to be messed with. The higher you go the harder its gonna be to get a face shot.
I would get a deer/hunting camera and set that up some way. Battery operated and records to a sd card.
Installing a camera system in a car will be very expensive and wiring would be even more fun. Ive priced it out for customers. Not worth it useless you got cash to throw around.

Drew1204

Established Member
Your gonna want to mount it as low as possible with out being able to be messed with. The higher you go the harder its gonna be to get a face shot.
I would get a deer/hunting camera and set that up some way. Battery operated and records to a sd card.
Installing a camera system in a car will be very expensive and wiring would be even more fun. Ive priced it out for customers. Not worth it useless you got cash to throw around.

Sounds great! You seem to know your stuff. So you recommend placing cameras from the outside of my car facing it? It would have to be in the parking garage then. Also, how long do the batteries last for hunting cameras/how long can they record to an SD card slot given its about 32GB?

I did a few minutes of searching and came up with something like this:

http://www.asianwolf.com/cctv-recorder-huntdvr.html

The only problem is, I don't know where to mount the camera since it is in a parking garage and people are always driving past, so any movement would trigger the motion sensor I would guess... Also, how could I place the camera so they could not just take the camera or sd card out of it?

Last edited:

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Recording time is gonna depend on motion. And what mega pixel camera you have.
Example. If you have motion 24 hrs a day 7 days a week a 3 frames per second you need roughly 5GB of storage. Now that's motion images. You are just taking snap shots. But your using mega pixel compared to analog cctv.
Ok did a little digging. 1 frame per second and 1 mega pixel 24 hrs a day 7 days a week you need 38GB. if you have a 3 mega pixel you need 94 GB.
So with 3 mega pixel you can get 2 days of storage with 26GB.
So may get a few extra hours with left over space.
Now don't hold me to these numbers. And all are based on constant motion.
Could you post pics of lay out of parking garage and where you park? Its kinda hard to say without seeing it.
I'm pretty sure with most deer/game cameras everything is locked up inside. No may not have a lock and key so may want to invest in that.
I would mount it to concrete with 4 anchors. Then good luck getting it off unless they have a bat or something and just smash it to pieces.
I mean there is only so much you can do. If they want to damage car or take camera they are gonna do it.

Sounds great! You seem to know your stuff. So you recommend placing cameras from the outside of my car facing it? It would have to be in the parking garage then. Also, how long do the batteries last for hunting cameras/how long can they record to an SD card slot given its about 32GB?

I did a few minutes of searching and came up with something like this:

Covert Spy Cameras & Spy Gadget Accessories by Asianwolf CCTV Security Manufacturer

The only problem is, I don't know where to mount the camera since it is in a parking garage and people are always driving past, so any movement would trigger the motion sensor I would guess... Also, how could I place the camera so they could not just take the camera or sd card out of it?

Users who are viewing this thread