Car eating TOB's?

Westbayou

Established Member
I've had my car, an 04 Vert, for a couple months now. When I bought it, the previous owner had put in a new Fidanza 4.3 clutch, throw out bearing, and a Ford Racing Flywheel. Smoked the first TOB in around 500 miles, and installed a new "high performance TOB" a few days before I bought the car. I've put about 500 miles on it since I bought it (not my daily). Car still has significant clutch chatter, and now is making a squealing/screeching sound every time you engage the clutch from a standstill. From what I have read, sounds like this TOB may have gone bad again. Anyone have any suggestions?

EvolvedResolve

Too fast to fook
Established Member
It's highly recommended to ditch aftermarket TOB's that come with clutch kits and use a Ford Racing TOB instead. If will save you a ton of headache.

Speaking of which, I can hear my stock TOB echoing in my ear as I speak, begging for an upgrade, VERY SOON.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
do you have a firewall adjuster and quadrant? if not you should put one in when you replace your current tob.

PipeHitter

Established Member
Yuppers, you sound like a candidate for LDC Freeplay Kit.

Then after isntallation, put the car up on jackstands and with the engine idling in neutral adjust the cable so the TOB just stops spinning. To double-check, while under the car, have a friend put slight pressure on the clutch arm to make the TOB start spinning, then when he releases the TOB should stop spinning.

And as other have and will mention, go with the Ford Racing TOB.

Last edited:

Stalker27

Established Member
Your clutch isn't adjusted right. With an aftermarket clutch you need to have a firewall adjuster & quadrant. I do no buy into the hype of Ford Racing TOB. I've been on the Spec 3+ TOB for 5k miles now with alot of boosting

Westbayou

Established Member
Update on this after doing some research. My car only makes a squeeling sound upon first gear engagement and it is just for a split second while I'm getting clutch chatter. Other than that, it never squeals. Still think it is the TOB?

Users who are viewing this thread