car died on hwy

svtcobra101

Established Member
never had any type of issues while driving on the highway til this afternoon... cruising at 55 n 5th gear up a incline then the car shut off,before i could react it was back on..all i could think was wtf..so i down shifted into 4th went about half a mile and same thing..so i shut off the ac,,stereo,rolled down the windows and by this time i was ontop of the hill goin thro the tunnel..decided to thro it into neutral and it died completley..coasted a good 3-4 miles with the engine off then threw it into 4th n let the clutch out n it started back up n i drove 20 or so miles til i got home...didnt kick no codes or anything..eng temp was normal..fuel filter has 5000 miles on it approx.. anybody have any idea? wish i had a fuel guage installed but thats on the list here n afew weeks.. thanks for the input guys..

Quagmire

Established Member
Check your IAC and maf mine did that while driving my air filter was off and iac was dirty. I put air filter back on and clean iac.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Test that alternator at different RPMs to see what the voltage readings are.

Then have a load test done on the battery.

Check engine grounds and battery terminals for corrosion.

Clean and replace above items as needed.

svtcobra101

Established Member
wish it would rain arizona needs it,,but nah it was prob 100 today..

ya ive never cleaned the iac yet so i will try that

battery is a red top optima..(year old)
no corrosion on the cables,motor stays clean
i will try the alternator test if the iac dont work..this kinda suxed cuz i would hate to b stranded on the hwy..thanks guys this sure helps..keep u all posted n see what happens

black 10th vert

Established Member
Have you washed the engine recently? If so, it could have had water migrate into the coil covers, since they are not completely watertight, and could be shorting the COPs if the sparkplug tubes are filled with water. I suspect that is why the other guy inquired about the rain.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
Test that alternator at different RPMs to see what the voltage readings are.

Then have a load test done on the battery.

Check engine grounds and battery terminals for corrosion.

Clean and replace above items as needed.
good idea jimmy !!

Have you washed the engine recently? If so, it could have had water migrate into the coil covers, since they are not completely watertight, and could be shorting the COPs if the sparkplug tubes are filled with water. I suspect that is why the other guy inquired about the rain.
x2 !!!

svtcobra101

Established Member
havent washed the engine recently..however i took it thro the auto/touchless car wash during the night ..next day i left outta town..ive done this many times n the past..mayb jus this time the undercarriage wash is what caused this issue for me:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread