Car died. Now has zero fuel pressure.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Here's the story...

I took a friend for a spirited ride since he'd never been in an '03 Cobra. I beat on it pretty good...nothing crazy though. It saw 6,500-6,600 rpm about 6 or 7 times. I took him back to his car and it just died. It fired up initially and would die as soon as I touched the gas pedal. Now it just cranks and cranks.

My first thought was to check the FRPS. It seems ok. The predator shows no codes. However, it shows 0psi FRP.

Anyone experience this before? Sounds like the an issue with the pumps.

I have a friend that is going to take a look at it for me Monday.

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
Are you near the dealer you got it? drive another car there and talk to one of the guys there, if you are still under warranty they may be able to fix it unless its something out of the lines? IDK but id go to the dealership :)

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
The dealer???? Holy shit man...you've gotta be kidding me. I might as well drive to the police station when drunk. LOL Way too many mods for that. I think the nitrous kit might spook them. My buddy that is looking at the car is better than any dealer.

fyi...the BAP fuse if ok. I unplugged the FRPS and the car wouldn't start. Also, the vaccuum hose and the dipstick did NOT smell like gas.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I thought I read somewhere that every now and then our fuel pump needed to be primed? Don't know if that would help or if that was your issue.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
03gobluecobra said:
I thought I read somewhere that every now and then our fuel pump needed to be primed? Don't know if that would help or if that was your issue.

Really? That's interesting. Never heard of that before. I checked the fuel cut off in the truck and that was ok too.

I guess it's a reason to upgrade the fuel system! :banana: I'm still running the stock pumps.

Last edited:

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
unit213 said:
The dealer???? Holy shit man...you've gotta be kidding me. I might as well drive to the police station when drunk. LOL Way too many mods for that. I think the nitrous kit might spook them. My buddy that is looking at the car is better than any dealer.

fyi...the BAP fuse if ok. I unplugged the FRPS and the car wouldn't start. Also, the vaccuum hose and the dipstick did NOT smell like gas.

Ahh lol I see we voided that warranty. Didnt realize you had a lot of mods or any. SO yeah dont go lol..my bad :bash:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
unit213 said:

:lol:

sorry, had to laugh at that but your situation does suck

I know Dan will definitely fix you up and I'm sure you'll leave there with a longer mod list! :beer:

Last edited:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Black96SVT said:
Ahh lol I see we voided that warranty. Didnt realize you had a lot of mods or any. SO yeah dont go lol..my bad :bash:

It was a light hearted post...not meant to bash. :thumbsup: The dealer scares me. They are absolutely clueless.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
JB said:
I know Dan will definitely fix you up and I'm sure you'll leave there with a longer mod list! :beer:

Funny you mention that. :rockon:

I'd really like to know what the hell the problem is though. It's great that the car "broke down" 2 miles from home in a parking lot, but what happens when I'm 300 miles from home? It would be nice to be able to resolve it. I was hoping it was the damned FRPS. That's an easy fix.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
there *have* been a few reported cases of failed FRPS's where the diaphragm didn't actually rupture, so maybe it could still be to blame here even though there is no gas leaking from it :shrug:

2 miles from home = good Karma :coolman:

Last edited:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
JB said:
there *have* been a few reported cases of failed FRPS's where the diaphragm didn't actually rupture, so maybe it could still be to blame here even though there is no gas leaking from it :shrug:

2 miles from home = good Karma :coolman:

I'll let the professionals take a peak at it and tell me what the problem is. I'll have 'em check that first. I thought the car would start if it was unplugged though. :shrug:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
MidLifeC said:
Like JB said - nice to have friends like Dan.

It sure is. I'd say the same thing though if he were a janitor.

So no one has experienced this? I'm alright with the bolt on stuff, but electrical has me baffled...always has. You should've seen me throughout college in Physics. Good thing I studied chemical engineering instead.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
That's the interesting thing about the FRPS. It goes out in different ways... With my car, it would start and run fine but then when I got into boost, it would just fall on it's face. With other cars, it goes out so bad that they wont run at all and one buddy even had fuel dripping outta his CAI. Maybe you have just broke yours in a different sorta way. I'd definately replace it and grab an extra before you band your head against the wall too much.

MJM03COBRA

Established Member
look in your trunk when you open it near the drivers side tail light there should be a hole in the with a sticker and some writing near it. There is a button that you can push that resets the fuel pump dont know if it will work never had to use it i just noticed it the other day. It's worth a try.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
MJM03COBRA said:
look in your trunk when you open it near the drivers side tail light there should be a hole in the with a sticker and some writing near it. There is a button that you can push that resets the fuel pump dont know if it will work never had to use it i just noticed it the other day. It's worth a try.

Thanks, but I already tried it. That's not the problem. :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread