car died for a minutes???

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
I just pulled the car out after being stored for a year and did all the maintenance and drove it from north dakota to alabama. About half way along, I did a off ramp on to another freeway and starting going again. The car just died, I pushed in the cluth and tried to start it but it just kept spinning over. I pulled to the side and tried a few times and same same. I was about to call a tow truck and figured I would try one more time and she fired up and hasn't hesitate since. Anyone have any ideas? I have shut it off and started it many times since then with no problems, gas mileage is the same, power is still there, no codes, I can't find anything. Has this ever happened to anyone out there before? Thanks

cbr repsol

Established Member
Make sure all you vaccum hoses are connected...some could say "tune" issue but with happening one time i doubt it. Try cleaning out you idle air control valve with some brake clean just to be safe. Also check your plug gaps as well.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Do what Dwight suggested and keep an eye on it. You mentioned you did maintenance after you pulled it from storage. What maintenance did you do?

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
I basically changed the oil, tires, balancing, checked all fluids etc. I changed the fuel filter in 08 but that was only about 1000 miles ago. I will check the vacume hoses tonight.

jdgt03

Established Member
Sounds like the something got hot, maybe fuel pump? Good be lots of things. It sucks to have an intermittent condition.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
see and that is the weird thing, I wasn't pushing it at all. Had great 93+ octane in with my weak tune with the lower timing. It hasn't hesitated since, weird stuff.

03yellow

Established Member
When getting off a ramp or slowing down quickly, push in your clutch and leave it in as you come to a stop. See if the RPMs drop below 400 rpms as you come to a stop; the low rpm drop( maybe down to 100) will appear to struggle to get back to idle sometimes. This would be the indication of The Stall issue. Ford will flash it for free. Make sure you remove any chip or tune before you let them flash.
If you have a tune it would have the stall flash in it but sometimes it gets left out!

Last edited:

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
the tune hasn't been changed in 6 years and this is the first time it ever did it for a total of 14k miles I have put on the car...think it could still be the stall thing?

Users who are viewing this thread