Car backfired and now I have blower oil in engine bay...

CobraChris08

Why you pushing me?
Established Member
Driving on Iriving from a stop light I reved it up to about 3K and dumped the clutch. Ran out first then hit 2nd. As soon as I hit 2nd gear the car backfired and lost all power then shut off. I pulled over to the side of the road. let it sit for a minute. Had trouble starting. Idled ruff. Finally the car starts and idles smooth.

A little ways down the road in 2nd gear about 4K i punch it. Everything seems good. Get home. Looks like there is tree sap on the windshield, go to clean it off. Pop the hood just to make sure everything is ok. There is blower oil all right by the hood latch. A LOT of it and its on the bottom of the hood. The Blower Oil filler/dip stick doesnt have a drop around it. Clean off the oil. As I look down to where some of the oil dripped. I see in the back of the radiator fan a silver screw wedged in I can't get out.

Anyone have any ideas?

This is where the oil was when I popped the hood.

OilLeak.jpg

Screw

ScrewFan.jpg

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Driving on Iriving from a stop light I reved it up to about 3K and dumped the clutch. Ran out first then hit 2nd. As soon as I hit 2nd gear the car backfired and lost all power then shut off. I pulled over to the side of the road. let it sit for a minute. Had trouble starting. Idled ruff. Finally the car starts and idles smooth.

A little ways down the road in 2nd gear about 4K i punch it. Everything seems good. Get home. Looks like there is tree sap on the windshield, go to clean it off. Pop the hood just to make sure everything is ok. There is blower oil all right by the hood latch. A LOT of it and its on the bottom of the hood. The Blower Oil filler/dip stick doesnt have a drop around it. Clean off the oil. As I look down to where some of the oil dripped. I see in the back of the radiator fan a silver screw wedged in I can't get out.

Anyone have any ideas?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah sell your car and buy a bike.

WTF were you thinking to drive it like that AFTER you have already had problems with it?

CobraChris08

Why you pushing me?
Established Member

WTF were you thinking to drive it like that AFTER you have already had problems with it?

Great response dickhead. Lotta help right there.

Wasn't like I was racing it. I put it in 2nd gear and hit it just to make sure it wasn't breaking up or anything, Car was driving fine.

And why should I buy a bike when my car is faster than a lot of em out there? :bash: :burn:

Please keep this thread on topic and tech informative.

Thanks

Mystic03

Established Member
did the car throw codes at you? and thats weird if it were blower oil did you check your level on the twin screw and what about a pic of the screw in the back of the fans?

CobraChris08

Why you pushing me?
Established Member
did the car throw codes at you? and thats weird if it were blower oil did you check your level on the twin screw and what about a pic of the screw in the back of the fans?

No check engine lights at all. Oil and temp gauge were where they always are.

The level seemed just a hair low.

I'll try and get a picture tomrrow. The screw is wedged in there tight. I couldn't get it out because the car was still hot.

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
I've seen this one time before when the front bearing seal went out on a KB cobra...( the snout bearing).......

Just a maybe......

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member

:??: :??: :??: This is a tech thread where someone is asking for help not Smack Down.

Anyway, I'd bet snout seal or bearing in the blower. Nothing looks wet, or greasy?

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Have sen this happen on a Kenne Bell before. There's a plausable explanantion. I'll see if I can contact the fella for the information.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member

Anyone have any ideas?

This is where the oil was when I popped the hood.

OilLeak.jpg

This happened to me at the track. You hit the rev limiter hard causing the shutdown and blower oil to come out of the pulley bolt as it's designed to do. Refill to the proper level & check where your rev limiter is set. I raised mine to 7,500 for the track.

Last edited:

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
Besides the twin screw oil spu, the coolant level seems low, also my first concern would be the back fire, I’d start pulling the plugs

CobraChris08

Why you pushing me?
Established Member
I've seen this one time before when the front bearing seal went out on a KB cobra...( the snout bearing).......

Just a maybe......

The snout seems fine. No oil leaks.

:??: :??: :??: This is a tech thread where someone is asking for help not Smack Down.

Anyway, I'd bet snout seal or bearing in the blower. Nothing looks wet, or greasy?

Not other than the stuff I posted In the first picture.

Have sen this happen on a Kenne Bell before. There's a plausable explanantion. I'll see if I can contact the fella for the information.

Thanks man.

This happened to me at the track. You hit the rev limiter hard causing the shutdown and blower oil to come out of the pulley bolt as it's designed to do. Refill to the proper level & check where your rev limiter is set. I raised mine to 7,500 for the track.

Hmmm. I almost always shift first great right at 6K. And I have the slicks on now so im doing it just before that.. My rev limiter is set to 6500.

Besides the twin screw oil spu, the coolant level seems low, also my first concern would be the back fire, I’d start pulling the plugs

Maybe I'll start doing that tonight. I did have to drive the car about 2.5 miles home after it happened.

Inspect your belt and pulleys. If you have oil on them clean the pulleys and replace the belt.

No oil on them at al.. The dip stick for the blower reads at the bottom mark.

Here's a picture of the screw.

ScrewFan.jpg

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Great response dickhead. Lotta help right there.

Well sorry if I hurt your feelings by laughing at you. You will notice that I did not call you names or anything else worthy of smackdown. You asked for advice, I gave you some that apparenly you should consider taking. see below for the reasons why.

Wasn't like I was racing it.

this would tend to indicate otherwise:
Driving on Iriving from a stop light I reved it up to about 3K and dumped the clutch.
the fact that you weren't racing another car is irrelevant. Now I am not faulting you for this but let's not pretend that you weren't "racing". dumping the clutch pretty much defines what you were doing even if it as at a lower rpm than you might have done if there was another car involved.
Ran out first then hit 2nd. As soon as I hit 2nd gear the car backfired and lost all power then shut off. I pulled over to the side of the road. let it sit for a minute. Had trouble starting. Idled ruff. Finally the car starts and idles smooth.
Again not casting the laugh rock here because you had no indication of trouble until you lost all power. and restarting it was obviously the right thing to do.
A little ways down the road in 2nd gear about 4K i punch it. Everything seems good. Get home. Looks like there is tree sap on the windshield, go to clean it off.

this is where the laugh rock comes in. and the WTF were you thinking. this was a dumb move by someone that doesn't care much about their car. to "punch" it at the top of 2nd gear when you have NO idea if something is wrong or not was dumb. no other way to describe it. I wasn't going to use that word but since you called me a dickhead there it is. It was dumb. The fact that you didn't break it further is plain noob luck. The operative words here are the "everything SEEMS good" what you should have done was a nice easy drive home, pop the hood and check everything out with a flashlight and a good listening device to be sure there were no internals broken, not punch it at the top of 2nd when you don't know the cause of the first issue.
I put it in 2nd gear and hit it just to make sure it wasn't breaking up or anything, Car was driving fine.
obviously not since you had oil on your windshield. And how could you not notice oil spattering on your windshiled? had something serious been going on punching it could have been the last straw to throwing a rod, stripping your blower belt or any number of other things. "punching" it on the highway was not proper troubleshooting in spit of what your friends my tell you .

And why should I buy a bike when my car is faster than a lot of em out there? :bash: :burn:
because, based on what you posted, you don't know how to take care of a high performance car

Please keep this thread on topic and tech informative.

Thanks

I hope I have done so. You will note I am not flaming you, or calling you names, just giving you an opinion which is what you asked for.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
This is a tech thread where someone is asking for help not Smack Down.
you are correct. and you will notice that I did not say anything that would have gotten this moved to smackdown. sure I laughed at him and then gave him a suggestion which he didn't like. See my post above this to see the reasons why.

oh and I posed a legitimate question when asking him WTF was he thinking to be driving the way he did AFTER he had a problem that he had no clue the cause of. you and he may not like the way the question was asked but it is a legitimate question none the less.

Last edited:

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
RDJ cmon man. your trying to justify that you gave him a worthless response, and everyone knows your post didnt help in any way. just because you may not agree with his course of actions, still doesn't answer any of his questions. your multi-quote and reply isn't doing anything in this thread but take up space, not provide help.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
RDJ cmon man. your trying to justify that you gave him a worthless response, and everyone knows your post didnt help in any way. just because you may not agree with his course of actions, still doesn't answer any of his questions. your multi-quote and reply isn't doing anything in this thread but take up space, not provide help.

so as not to continue this in his 'technical' thread .. you have a pm

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
The snout seems fine. No oil leaks.

Not other than the stuff I posted In the first picture.

Thanks man.

Hmmm. I almost always shift first great right at 6K. And I have the slicks on now so im doing it just before that.. My rev limiter is set to 6500.

Maybe I'll start doing that tonight. I did have to drive the car about 2.5 miles home after it happened.

No oil on them at al.. The dip stick for the blower reads at the bottom mark.

Here's a picture of the screw.

ScrewFan.jpg

I think the first hash mark means it's full. You're not supposed to add more oil then that.
Sorry about that.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread