car ate some grass...

ka3ak

Breast Connoisseur
Established Member
tc off, tried passing a car at 50mph, caught some sand on the road, rear spun, ended up fishtailing about 1/4 mile in wet grass until the car came to a stop. anyways, the passenger side foglight bazel snapped, to my surprise the foglight itself is ok, so i have to remove the front bumper. i've taken the two tabs underneath out, undid the two screws next to the grill, and the screw connecting the splash shield to the bumper on each side, is there something else i'm forgetting? the passanger side seems to be coming off fine, but the driver's side is being stubburn. hopefully all i need to do is pull harder, but it may be the case i snapped something on the passanger side, any ideas? i know the 03/04 bumpers have 4 additional screws to undo, but i don't see them anywhere. any help is appreciated.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
there are four nuts (two on each side) that you have to unscrew. They are located where the front of the fender meets the front bumper. You will have to either remove or pull back the wheel well splash sheild to get to them. FYI, the nuts are screwed on to studs attached to the front bumper. If you snapped something on the passenger side, you may have snapped the studs off of the bumper. Good luck!

ka3ak

Breast Connoisseur
Established Member
update: the 3 plastic tabs that hold the metal braket are snapped off, other than that, the bumper cover is fine. are our bumper covs made of urethane? is there a glue i can buy? i don't really want to spend $400+ on a new cover + paint. any ideas? thanks.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
its more of an ABS plastic deal. I'm not sure of how you can go about repairing them though. I would honestly look for another one. Easier and new is always better. I'm sure someone in the market section is selling one.

ka3ak

Breast Connoisseur
Established Member
for anyone that is interested:
from the looks of it, these tabs are made to be the weak point, to prevent the whole bumper cover from cracking, so this break might be a common fix in slight front end "love taps". after doing some research, it is very possible and easy to fix these, by applying an adhesion/surface modifier to the tabs, followed by fusor 143 and mesh. i'll post my experiance after i do this on monday or teusday.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Definitely let us know. Two of my tabs broke a long time ago and it'd be nice to know it's that easy to fix.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Trust me, their not possible to fix. I have been to many reputable body shops and all they say is you can put a rivet in there to hold it. Just get a new bumper, i had 2 rivets put in my 01 bumper and now the other side broke off, i dont really wanna leave my bumper in the hands of rivets, so i got a new one through insurance.

ka3ak

Breast Connoisseur
Established Member
CobraStang161 said:
Trust me, their not possible to fix. I have been to many reputable body shops and all they say is you can put a rivet in there to hold it. Just get a new bumper, i had 2 rivets put in my 01 bumper and now the other side broke off, i dont really wanna leave my bumper in the hands of rivets, so i got a new one through insurance.

i have a $1000 deductible, damn it.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
If you mean the sides of the bumper where it meets the front fender,
they are held on by 2 nuts.
The bracket that the 2 nuts are on is a bracket riveted to the bumper cover.
Those brackets are available separately from Ford.

ka3ak

Breast Connoisseur
Established Member
birdman941 said:
If you mean the sides of the bumper where it meets the front fender,
they are held on by 2 nuts.
The bracket that the 2 nuts are on is a bracket riveted to the bumper cover.
Those brackets are available separately from Ford.

to clear it up a bit, the metal bracket is fine, the rivets are fine as well, they are still attached to the plastic tabs, the tabs themselves however, are snapped off of the bumper cover

Users who are viewing this thread