car # 20 on EBAY

FoxSnk

Established Member
A bumper cover isn't difficult to swap, in fact I did that very thing on a black '95 I used to own. Who's to say. Not sure why changing a color on a "nobody-cares" 1995 cobra would "kill" the value - they aren't worth much now days to begin with. These aren't "collector" cars, just old mustangs.

stangbear427

Established Member
Every SVT Cobra is a collector car as far as I'm concerned... and honestly, I'd much rather have a 94-95 than a 96+

IMO the SN95's with 302's are special.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
FoxSnk said:
A bumper cover isn't difficult to swap, in fact I did that very thing on a black '95 I used to own. Who's to say. Not sure why changing a color on a "nobody-cares" 1995 cobra would "kill" the value - they aren't worth much now days to begin with. These aren't "collector" cars, just old mustangs.
You'd be only one of a few around here who think that. And price a hardtop convert cobra along side a regular coupe of the same year and you'll see that, in fact, people do care.

FoxSnk

Established Member
I'm a huge mustang 'fan' (thats the operative word there), and the 95 cobra is the closest to my heart beyond the 93. That being said, a car that fetches (and these would be great condition vehicles) 10-15K doesnt exactly light a fire under anyones a$$. Keep things in perspective bro. These are still just old mustangs - which I'm very fond of, but when you start talking about affecting the value of a $10,000 car by changing the paint, I think it's time to pull back into the real world.

stangbear427

Established Member
The car isn't even close to twenty years old yet, the actual value it will come out at is almost impossible to know. And the more people screw them up because "they're nothing special" in the meantime, the higher that number will be for unmolested ones. BJ auctions are full of "who knew?" cars fetching stupid money that nobody ever thought would be worth anything back in the day. Look at the street price for a clean, unmolested Fox these days- never mind if was a special edition of anything. The SN95's are already three body styles out- and nice clean 94-95's aren't everywhere like they used to be anymore, or like nice Fox's used top be for that matter. So when you're talking about a hardtop Cobra... you have to be pretty short sited to not know that it isn't going to be a $10k car forever if it's taken care of.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
FoxSnk said:
I'm a huge mustang 'fan' (thats the operative word there), and the 95 cobra is the closest to my heart beyond the 93. That being said, a car that fetches (and these would be great condition vehicles) 10-15K doesnt exactly light a fire under anyones a$$. Keep things in perspective bro. These are still just old mustangs - which I'm very fond of, but when you start talking about affecting the value of a $10,000 car by changing the paint, I think it's time to pull back into the real world.
Change the color of any cobra and you'll see the value drop by atleast the amount paid for the paint job.

I don't know about you, but even a $1,000 difference (drop) in price is a big deal to me. Change the color of a hard top convert cobra and you're looking at $3,000 or more in a decrease in value. While a $10k or $15k cobra doesn't "light a fire" under your ass, it does for others. Try repainting your $15k 93 cobra a different color and see what exactly it does to it's value, since it's not a big deal. After all, it's just an old mustang.

FoxSnk

Established Member
Try repainting your $15k 93 cobra a different color and see what exactly it does to it's value, since it's not a big deal. After all, it's just an old mustang.

Ah, but we're not talking about 1993 cobra's are we? Apples and oranges there, my friend. sn-95 cobras will never have the "allure" that fox cobra's have. Does that make them less of a car? Depends on what floats your boat. I love 302 sn-95s. Still, there are TONS of them out there, and it wasn't necessarily a generation of car that people will remember. Supply and demand will always control the market. Will there always be a handfull of followers waving the sn95 flag? Of course. Largely it will be forgotten in the next 20 years.

You shouldn't attach your emotions to an inanimate object.

(Quick Edit I forgot: Not sure what market you've been following, but low-mileage 1993 cobras fetch a bit more than $15K. I nearly sold mine for $19,500 this past summer, but got cold feet. Don't think I'll be selling it anytime soon.)

Stangbear...

That would be pretty short-sighted to assume that an unmolested low-mileage sn-95 cobra will always be worth $10K, would't it? Any car that someone has stuck in a garage for 20 years will likely be worth more when it comes out of hibernation then when it was put in. I don't recall ever taking a position that didn't support that assumption. A low mileage unmolested sn95 cobra will bring more than 10K today. However, the vast majority of sn95 cobras arent in that condition, and likely will never show any appreciation of significant value.

Last edited:

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
Doesn't look like one. I can't even tell it's not a V6, except the fuzzy outline of the tires implies wider wheels, but it's too hard to tell. I can't see the wheels, the exhaust, "Cobra" on the rear bumper, or any of the badging. How exactly can you guys tell?

Spoiler - 94/95 specific - can't tell if the badging was shaved off or not from the pic. But definitley Cobra-looking.

SN95 haters...:sleeping:

That is a SICK Fox though, they are growing on me big time.

95riosnake

Established Member
Spoiler - 94/95 specific

also, the trunk lid doesn't have a 3rd brake light in it, only 94-95 cobras had this. He could have swapped an entire trunk lid/wing combo onto his car...and if he did, cool for him cuz he spent alot of money to do so.

94_302

Established Member
Not sure why changing a color on a "nobody-cares" 1995 cobra would "kill" the value - they aren't worth much now days to begin with. These aren't "collector" cars, just old mustangs.

Because it is not a nobody cares 95 Cobra if it was a regular 95 Cobra vert ok yeah you could get away with saying that. However it is not, it is a Removable Hardtop which there were only 499 made and I believe SVT made note of that on the certificate (or even issued a separate one) Think what you want but the 95 Removable Hardtop is a collectible car now and will always be one.

It's like someone repainting a Mystic in Mystichrome and saying it would not kill the value because it was a 96 Cobra and they are not collectors.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
He replied to me on his Ebay add, and said it's a real '95 2 top Cobra. He changed the color because the black was too hot in the summer. Sounds BS to me, but it's what he told me.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Because it is not a nobody cares 95 Cobra if it was a regular 95 Cobra vert ok yeah you could get away with saying that. However it is not, it is a Removable Hardtop which there were only 499 made and I believe SVT made note of that on the certificate (or even issued a separate one) Think what you want but the 95 Removable Hardtop is a collectible car now and will always be one.

It's like someone repainting a Mystic in Mystichrome and saying it would not kill the value because it was a 96 Cobra and they are not collectors.

Thank you to all for standing up for the 2-Tops!!!

Many cars guys, even Mustang enthusiasts have never even heard of this option on a Mustang/Cobra convert.

In 40+ years of Mustang production, no other year has had a Removable Hardtop option convert. been offered from the factory, just 1995, just the Cobra. Quite a unique piece of Mustang, and SVT history. And yes, even now when the SN95's are in a $$$ slump, it definitly depends upon the specific car when you discuss $$$. Color change was a mistake on this 2-Top, if it is in fact a 2-Top. If it were to be repainted black, then it would be "gigged" for a repaint which will also equal a $$$ deduction. The most recent 2-Top that I saw actually sell on eBay sold for $14K+. It had 40-50K miles, a supercharger and chrome Cobra R wheels, Yuck!!! IMHO. It did have its hardtop, but was missing its storage dolly and most all of the other 2-Top specific parts, all of which are now obsolete from Ford and impossible to find.<<More $$$'s deducted.

In comparision to the 250 1995 Cobra R's, the 499 2-Tops are the next lowest production number Cobra's 1994-1998.

R

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Thank you to all for standing up for the 2-Tops!!!

Many cars guys, even Mustang enthusiasts have never even heard of this option on a Mustang/Cobra convert.

In 40+ years of Mustang production, no other year has had a Removable Hardtop option convert. been offered from the factory, just 1995, just the Cobra. Quite a unique piece of Mustang, and SVT history. And yes, even now when the SN95's are in a $$$ slump, it definitly depends upon the specific car when you discuss $$$. Color change was a mistake on this 2-Top, if it is in fact a 2-Top. If it were to be repainted black, then it would be "gigged" for a repaint which will also equal a $$$ deduction. The most recent 2-Top that I saw actually sell on eBay sold for $14K+. It had 40-50K miles, a supercharger and chrome Cobra R wheels, Yuck!!! IMHO. It did have its hardtop, but was missing its storage dolly and most all of the other 2-Top specific parts, all of which are now obsolete from Ford and impossible to find.<<More $$$'s deducted.

In comparision to the 250 1995 Cobra R's, the 499 2-Tops are the next lowest production number Cobra's 1994-1998.

R

Not to be a stickler for details but the 2 top option was available on GT's in 95 also. Saw one several years ago at a MCA show. There were only a handful of GT's optioned with it (I am guessing less than 20) but they are out there.
As a matter of fact I just threw the guy's card away last week that was trying to track all of them down so he could start a registry.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Not to be a stickler for details but the 2 top option was available on GT's in 95 also. Saw one several years ago at a MCA show. There were only a handful of GT's optioned with it (I am guessing less than 20) but they are out there.
As a matter of fact I just threw the guy's card away last week that was trying to track all of them down so he could start a registry.

You are probably speaking of the Yellow GT? I do have a MCA Times featuring this car and have spoken to the gentleman who owns it. He told me that it "somehow" slipped out the back door at Ford. It was not supposed to be released to the public so I really can't consider that to be an option "available on the GT's". The 6 min. "Hardtop Installation and Removal VCR tape that came with the 2-Tops shows a Red GT, that car has not surfaced as far as I know. The pre-production information shows a White 6cyl. That car is also in question as to its were abouts. Yes, originally the new body Mustang convert. was listed in the 1994 Mustang showroom brochure as being offered with a removable hardtop option, 6-cyl. and GT included. I believe I saw a "late availablitily" in the Ford literature that I have from that time period. It never materialized for 1994. By 1995 the delay had been so long that many had forgotten about this option, and if I remember right, the 1995 Mustang brochure does not list it, as it did in 1994, so in the end, it became readily available for the 1995 Cobra, but that was the only car it was listed for, by the time it became a reality. From what I have been told, the GT's that have this top were cars that were "used" in the real world to test for leaks, wind noise, fitment, etc. If there is another GT out there, I am not familiar with it.

R

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
You are probably speaking of the Yellow GT? I do have a MCA Times featuring this car and have spoken to the gentleman who owns it. He told me that it "somehow" slipped out the back door at Ford. It was not supposed to be released to the public so I really can't consider that to be an option "available on the GT's". The 6 min. "Hardtop Installation and Removal VCR tape that came with the 2-Tops shows a Red GT, that car has not surfaced as far as I know. The pre-production information shows a White 6cyl. That car is also in question as to its were abouts. Yes, originally the new body Mustang convert. was listed in the 1994 Mustang showroom brochure as being offered with a removable hardtop option, 6-cyl. and GT included. I believe I saw a "late availablitily" in the Ford literature that I have from that time period. It never materialized for 1994. By 1995 the delay had been so long that many had forgotten about this option, and if I remember right, the 1995 Mustang brochure does not list it, as it did in 1994, so in the end, it became readily available for the 1995 Cobra, but that was the only car it was listed for, by the time it became a reality. From what I have been told, the GT's that have this top were cars that were "used" in the real world to test for leaks, wind noise, fitment, etc. If there is another GT out there, I am not familiar with it.

R

yeah it was yellow, a friend of mine spoke of a green one for sale somewhere in Tennessee or North Georgia along the same time frame that I spoke to that guy but I never saw it personally so I can't confirm it. Hell for the price tag, its no wonder that there were not many cars equipped with it.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
yeah it was yellow, a friend of mine spoke of a green one for sale somewhere in Tennessee or North Georgia along the same time frame that I spoke to that guy but I never saw it personally so I can't confirm it. Hell for the price tag, its no wonder that there were not many cars equipped with it.

Slightly under $30K was the MSRP on a 95 2-Top Cobra. The Hardtop option was $1895 and included 6 specific items to those cars. The real rare option that is seldom found on these cars is the factory installed theft option, it was $145 and put the MSRP just over $30K for a 2-Top. The indicator of this option is of course the window sticker showing it, or "Theft" flashing in the light string in the lower portion of the instrument cluster when the car is locked. The theft system was standard equip. for the 96 Cobra, but was an option, and not really known about in 1995 for the Mustang/Cobra. My #14 does not have theft, but #167 does. Other than that, they are identical cars.

Now that I think about it, that Yellow GT might have been slid through the assy. line by a "knowing" Ford employee, and then it slipped out to the public later in life.

R

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Slightly under $30K was the MSRP on a 95 2-Top Cobra. The Hardtop option was $1895 and included 6 specific items to those cars. The real rare option that is seldom found on these cars is the factory installed theft option, it was $145 and put the MSRP just over $30K for a 2-Top. The indicator of this option is of course the window sticker showing it, or "Theft" flashing in the light string in the lower portion of the instrument cluster when the car is locked. The theft system was standard equip. for the 96 Cobra, but was an option, and not really known about in 1995 for the Mustang/Cobra. My #14 does not have theft, but #167 does. Other than that, they are identical cars.

Now that I think about it, that Yellow GT might have been slid through the assy. line by a "knowing" Ford employee, and then it slipped out to the public later in life.

R

I was thinking that I had read somewhere that the hardtop option was closer to $4k in option pricing.

Yeah I am thinking that the handful of GT's with the vert hardtop option went to Ford executives

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I was thinking that I had read somewhere that the hardtop option was closer to $4k in option pricing.

Yeah I am thinking that the handful of GT's with the vert hardtop option went to Ford executives

From what I have been told, the replacement bare hardtop shell was approx. $3500 when it was still available from Ford. <<<That is the bare shell, no weatherstrips, trim, headliner, latches, hardware or heated rear glass.

Original cost was $1895 on the window sticker. I can't see how money was made on this option since there was so much time spent on it from the earliest point in 1994 when it was first announced, and in the end only a very few cars ordered/sold with this option.

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread