Canton Accusump

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get some information regarding installing an accusump as an engine pre-oiler. I'm going to have well over $10k invested in my new engine so I'm thinking the relatively small cost of an accusump may be a great investment!

I'm looking at installing one with the electric manual valve, that way I have control over its opening and closing. I don't plan on road racing the car and I already have the Canton oil pan and windage tray, so I don't think the EPC control valve (this valve monitors oil pressure and opens to feed the engine oil when the pressure drops below a certain point) will be necessary.

So right now I'm just looking to see how would be the best way to install it. Canton sell an install kit that places a sandwich block between the oil filter and the engine which should make the install pretty easy, but with my turbo piping I don't think I have the clearance to install one of these without running a shorter filter (which I'm not keen on doing). Is there another way to install it, perhaps installing a T or something on the oil pressure sending unit??

Canton sell several different sizes as well, from a 1 to a 3 quart. These range in lengths from 12 to 16" with diameters of 3 1/4" to 4 1/4" so I'm thinking the 2 qt. might be ideal for me, with its 12" length and 4 1/4" diameter I'm hoping it wont be too hard to find a place for it. Like I said before since I plan on running the manual electric valve, the accusump doesn't really need to be accessible. I'm thinking that fabricating a mounting plate and attaching it to the lower rad support would probably be a good place. Since it would be below or pretty much at the same level as the oil pan I don't think there would be any possibility of it draining and overfilling the engine either which is nice.

Does anyone know if it is necessary to bleed the air out of the accusump when it's installed??

If anyone has any experience with one of these please feel free to chime in with some feedback!!

pkwest

Established Member
I have a 3 quart with an epc valve on my FFR cobra with a 4.6 DOHC N/A motor. I use it as a pre-oiler and on the track. I would get the epc valve if I were you. You can still use it only as a pre-oiler but will also be able to turn it on when road racing just for safety. instructions are here Canton Racing Products - Accusump Tech see SETTING THE PRE-CHARGE for setup info. I use a 35 lb epc. The valve won't open unless I apply power to the epc switch and pressure drops below 35 lbs. I don't like the surging when it refills. You can see the pressure surge on the oil pressure gauge when it refills. I turn the switch on before starting my motor and since the pressure is below 35lbs it discharges. If you have a remote filter you can connect it to the output port. I have this one which has two ports on the input and two on the output side. www.cantonracingproducts.com - 22-620 - SBC REMOTE BILLET ALUMINUM OIL FILTER MOUNT

Users who are viewing this thread