Can't load tune into my car?

KonaGT

Established Member
I returned my car to stock so I could update my SCT tuner, after the device got done with the update I went to load a tune on my car and it wont let me. After I select the "custom tune" option on my SCT it tell me to turn the key forward and hit select, then it says turn key off and it gives me an Error prompt and tells me to go to SCT's website to locate a dealer.

I didn't do anything different than I normally would, and the tune I was wanting to load I have had in my car and it worked great.

If anyone could help that would be awesome because as of now my car does not run.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
What is the exact error # it gives you?

Are the icon's displaying as solid blocks? if this is the case you need to call SCT and have them reformat it for you.

When you do a firmware update your tunes will be gone because it reformats the tuners memory, wiping out anything on it in the process. You will need to contact your tuner and they can supply you with the files they gave you to begin with through an email, and you can re upload the tunes from your PC.

Can you see the tune names under custom tunes or is it just blank?

sloppymax

Established Member
How is the car not running if you returned it to stock and it will not take the tune after the update?

I am in the same predicament with the icons showing as solid blocks. SCT is suppose to be getting back to me this week with a fix or I might be in line to have the reformat done. Odd thing is it will not communicate with the auto update portion of the software but it can still pull the serial number.

stang8psi

Established Member
There is a few threads on this issue from sct updated firmware!

mine Crashed and had to be sent in along with several others on this board and several others.. Here is a few threads with info that might help! SCT will try and remote fix it for you but you also might have to send it back make sure to get a RMA number, the fix from SCT if sent back takes about 3 weeks..

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/864284-sct-issue.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...28-help-cant-load-tune-file-my-sct-tuner.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...58611-sct-automatic-firmware-update-woes.html

Last edited:

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
WTF is wrong with all these SCT tuners crashing and locking up? A buddy of mine went to flash his Mustang from a Cam tune back to his performance tune and it locked up his PCM. SCT asked he send the PCM and the tuner back into them and they even gave him a rental car. Strange SCT is having all these lockup issues lately........

walked_u_hard

Established Member
Curious, why did you update your handheld? what was the reasoning behind it?

If you have a old enough firmware and get a new tune the updater software wont see or open the new tune files.

It has something to do with the SCT updater software or the update itself... whichever it is it happened with their newest update. FML

ViciousJay

Established Member
If you have a old enough firmware and get a new tune the updater software wont see or open the new tune files.

It has something to do with the SCT updater software or the update itself... whichever it is it happened with their newest update. FML

easy way around it is to pull it off the internet before trying to upload it! :idea:

worked for me

86merc

Established Member
My buddy had his lock up. Would not load any tune into the PCM. Dealer tried to install a tune with no luck. It is his daily driver so it cost him $600 for a new ECU plus the labor and inspection cost for the dealer. ouch!

He sent the original PCM and SCT handheld back to SCT for them to check it out.

UWISHU1

Honey Badger
Established Member
true story was driving my car home one day and it just cut off. I tried to check for codes and none where recognized. I tried to load the STOCK tune back into it before sending it to Ford and the Xcal read "Incorrect vehicle"

Once at Ford the techs couldn't get their diagnostic equipment to communicate with the car, they said the PCM had ground and power but the PCM thought it was in another car (if that makes any sense).

We ordered a new PCM ($650 out of pocket) and the car has since fired up. I'm going to go by in the morning and picking up the old PCM and Xcal and sending it back to SCT and see what they find. All in all this little fiasco has cost me a week without the car and $1000 parts/labor

bmitchell373

Established Member
On my 99gt i put a used hypertec on it and it fried the memory in the pcm said ford. 1000 for new pcm and reflash. I just had this problem tonight with my 2012. I had the stragity tune on it for the last 2 months, and today went to just change the airbox setting and as it tried to start the load it crashed. For those of you with 2011+ does your anti theft light flash fast when you turn the key on?

walked_u_hard

Established Member
true story was driving my car home one day and it just cut off. I tried to check for codes and none where recognized. I tried to load the STOCK tune back into it before sending it to Ford and the Xcal read "Incorrect vehicle"

Once at Ford the techs couldn't get their diagnostic equipment to communicate with the car, they said the PCM had ground and power but the PCM thought it was in another car (if that makes any sense).

We ordered a new PCM ($650 out of pocket) and the car has since fired up. I'm going to go by in the morning and picking up the old PCM and Xcal and sending it back to SCT and see what they find. All in all this little fiasco has cost me a week without the car and $1000 parts/labor

On my 99gt i put a used hypertec on it and it fried the memory in the pcm said ford. 1000 for new pcm and reflash. I just had this problem tonight with my 2012. I had the stragity tune on it for the last 2 months, and today went to just change the airbox setting and as it tried to start the load it crashed. For those of you with 2011+ does your anti theft light flash fast when you turn the key on?

Bad luck, doesnt really apply to OP's problem though. Its uncommon to have your computer fried because of a tune, if it does happen its because the user turns the key off during the flash or unplug the tuner. At that point you need to call SCT to get a recovery file, and only SCT can supply that.

And no bmitchell373 my anti theft does not flash fast, but i dont have a strategy tune on my car either. Why not get a actual tune for your car from a reputable place and unlock more HP/TQ.

Last edited:

bmitchell373

Established Member
I plan on it. This was the tuner for my old car, and tunes for life are not transferable even tho i bought the tuner. And as i research it seems like Bama isnt all that great with the 5.0. I plan on going with AED as soon as I get a o/r x pipe.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
BAMA does just fine... graphs are SAFE and comparable to other tuners. some company's will focus on the SAFE part of things more so than others.

Thats not why i posted though, i just wanted to let you guys know SCT has a new update. try it out

walked_u_hard

Established Member
yeah today (the 25th) they released another update that only takes 30 minutes.

its firmware 2.0 its no longer 1.9

which should fix the issues... but time will tell.

CPRsm

Yup, same here. Took 3 weeks to get a new ecu, and had it lock up again after that.

86merc

Established Member
^ That is not what I want to hear. Every time I think of ditching my ProCal tune for an aftermarket tune I read something like this. :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread