Can't get my Fore hat to seal on stock tank

Jpjr

Established Member
I have a dual Walboro return setup with the Fore hat.

I've tried two different gaskets now, can't get the thing to seal. Watching gas flow out of the unsealed area between the top hat and tank.

My next steps are either RTV or trying to use two gaskets.

Also thinking about using longer bolts for the thick part of the hat.

Any advice would be appreciated. Working on my fourth tank drop.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I thought that the Fore used an o-ring seal - not a gasket.:??: Have you put some type of a straightedge on the flange? The sheetmetal may be warped, and need flattening.

TRBO VNM

something isn't right. the stock gasket is all you need, so something is going on that you need to get figured out.

do you think the pumps are bottoming out on the bottom of the tank? I always cut the hose a little shorter that the pump nipple goes into. so that the pump nipple touches the brass fitting inside the hose. this picks the pumps up from the bottom of the tank just a little bit. maybe this is your problem?

Jpjr

Established Member
something isn't right. the stock gasket is all you need, so something is going on that you need to get figured out.

do you think the pumps are bottoming out on the bottom of the tank? I always cut the hose a little shorter that the pump nipple goes into. so that the pump nipple touches the brass fitting inside the hose. this picks the pumps up from the bottom of the tank just a little bit. maybe this is your problem?

it doesn't feel like the pumps are bottoming out, as when it drop in the hat it seems to rest flat against the tank. not sure how i can tell otherwise if they were bottoming out, but i could try and shorten them a little with the method you described.

did you use the stock bolts or new ones?

you are right something is going on, maybe the pumps are bottoming.

GodStang

Established Member
If you measure the depth of your pumps is correct and YOU MODDED YOUR STOCK GASKET you should be good.

TRBO VNM

I use the stock gasket or a new stock gasket modded per directions from Fore and I use the Fore bolts them provide.

Jpjr

Established Member
I use the stock gasket or a new stock gasket modded per directions from Fore and I use the Fore bolts them provide.

Cool also used a new one cutting tabs down to 5mm.

Regarding the pump height, is it easy to make the change you noted? I'm at work and will re-measure the height when I get home. Just wondering how easy or difficult it will be and whether I need to tear everything apart.

Fat-cat

Established Member
yeah you will have to pull the assembly out and pull the pumps so it would be a full tear down. But its not that much work. I didn't have any issues getting mine to seal with the above mentioned. Good luck.

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
How old is your hat?

If its more than a few months old you'd better call FORE and ask for the new, revised unit that doesnt have the pumps sitting wedged against the bottom of the tank.

alpha06

SKY 600
Established Member
Had the same problem last week, you will have to use the GT pump socks instead of the stock Cobra socks. Move the socks around and make sure that they are not hung on the wall on the inside top level of the tank. When I moved my socks around on the pumps, the Hat sat right on the tank. I also used the stock gasket.

99cobrajn

cant touch this........
Established Member
I had the same problem also. I had to bend the top of the tank up all the way around where the gasket would have been then it worked.

Jpjr

Established Member
I had the same problem also. I had to bend the top of the tank up all the way around where the gasket would have been then it worked.

Hey can you go into a little more detail.

I was able to get the tank sealed last night with permatex #2 gasket maker.. but I'm not sure how long I should expect it to last.

Would love to hear more about what you did as it sounds like a better fix.

Users who are viewing this thread