Canister conversion or filter relocation kit

ANGREY

Established Member
Cheapest I can find the canister conversion kit is around $425.

I can find quality relocation kits for about half that.

Other than price, what are the pro's and con's of one vs the other.

The relocation kit allows simpler oil changes.

Do the typical relocation kits add flow losses due to increasing lines and fittings? (is it negligible or significant).

Is the new 500 style canister flow a significant increase in flow over the current 350 canister spec?

ANGREY

Established Member
oil-clamp.jpg

ANGREY

Established Member
Found this in another forum. Pretty ingenious solution. Cheap and effective. Even posted a part number (5416K23) from McMaster which is a 2-5/16" - 3-1/4" (1/2" wide) worm clamp. Tightened down so that the screw drive is very close to the aluminum filter housing assembly would make it extremely difficult for it to reverse back out.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
What problem are you trying to solve? Do you want better filtration (whatever that means) or are you worried about the spin-on filter becoming a spin-off filter?

If it's better filtration, then the jury's out on the OEM systems - they look pretty comparable and they're obviously adequate. The GT500 gets higher oil pressure but those who've put the GT500 pump and pan on their Voodoo got the same results - seems it's the pump that does it.

There was a discussion on remote filters on m6g and I'm not sure how it ended. Two concerns I'd have with a relo kit are first, does the adapter plate line up with the holes in the block and second, will the hoses stay connected to the Voodoo because of the vibration. The 12AN fittings may loosen up in a high vibration environment.

If all you're worried about is the spin-on spinning off, then the hose clamp is a cheap and cheerful solution.

ANGREY

Established Member
First priority is solving the issue of the filter coming off.

That's why I was asking about flow. If it's not the new 500 style canister that's an improvement, then the relocation kit is acceptable. You can torque and locktite the fittings because ostensibly, you don't have to mess with it at all after the initial install, only the connection at the new remote filter fitting.

But it seems like I can resolve the issue with the clamps rather cheaply.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread