Can you test youre E-fans?

speedybolt

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
I dont think that my fans are coming on in my cobra. Is there a way to do a test and see if they work? I know in my old Trans Am I could jump a wire and the fans would come on. Any way to do something like that on the Cobras?

svt2712

Established Member
yes there is it might be on cobra bobs site can't remember where i saw it, i have a switch so it can turn on my fan high when i want but the key has to be on. I think it is a purple wire with green stripe and it is behind the p side kick panel i think you tap in that and run a wire to ground on the other side of the switch.

MVD

Established Member
I dont think that my fans are coming on in my cobra. Is there a way to do a test and see if they work? I know in my old Trans Am I could jump a wire and the fans would come on. Any way to do something like that on the Cobras?

First off the car does not have mutiple fans, it has a single fan with both high and low speeds.

Secondly, there is no need to mess with test wires, just start the car and when it gets up to operating temp the low speed fan should come on (around 190* if you have a way to datalog). If it doesn't then the shut the car off because it will begin to overheat if the car continues to run and heat up more.

If the fan doesn't come on then you can start checking fuses, relays, and messing with jumper wires to troubleshoot the problem.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
If your fans ain't coming on you'll overheat,
unless your drive on the freeway 90% of the time.
Just put a switch.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Fan should come on once the car sits at idle for 10-15 minutes, just FYI. If it's already fully warmed up then I'd say 30 sec to 3 min at most.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I broke out the mutlimeter and the wiring diagram, when all I needed was to spin the fan by hand to find it was seized...
Yeah I think the efan on these cars is of questionable quality. I've ran some tests on mine and it pulls about 50A+ for the first sec it kicks on and then settles down to somewhere over 20. It puts a tremendous amount of stress on the electrical sys and I'm just waiting for the fan to completely crap out.

speedybolt

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
Ok, so I just let the car sit in the shop running. My fans are not coming on. I even tried to turn the AC on and see if they came on and nothing. So what realy is it that I need to check? Also, where do you get a replacement fan?

speedybolt

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
Well I found that my car keeps blowing the 50A fuse for the fans. I guess they are going out or somthing. Is there a place to get a replacement or is it any parts store? Also, do you replace the whole fan or just the motor?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Well I found that my car keeps blowing the 50A fuse for the fans. I guess they are going out or somthing. Is there a place to get a replacement or is it any parts store? Also, do you replace the whole fan or just the motor?
I would talk to Tousley Ford: 800-328-9552 ask for Steve Powell and I think it's sold as a whole unit with the housing. FYI - I understand the ‘97-98 Lincoln Mark 8 fan flows more and can be modded to fit our cars.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv

grab the fan blade and spin it by hand. if the fan doesn't spin completely free and easily, like any electric motor should, then replace the fan assembly. the motor is not serviced by itself.

if you have a fluidyne or other radiator where ya had to move the abs servo, then you're going to have to grind away a bit of the new one, like you had to grind away a bit of the old one to make it fit right.

Last edited:

speedybolt

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
grab the fan blade and spin it by hand. if the fan doesn't spin completely free and easily, like any electric motor should, then replace the fan assembly. the motor is not serviced by itself.

if you have a fluidyne or other radiator where ya had to move the abs servo, then you're going to have to grind away a bit of the new one, like you had to grind away a bit of the old one to make it fit right.

i tried to spin it and it seemed to spin fine. I keep blowing the fuse though. I think the high speed side of the motor may be out. I dont know.

Users who are viewing this thread