can you shift through the gears without using the clutch.....

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Originally posted by speedtigger
my grandma could speed shift your car :lol1:

Yea! maybe, but I won't be missing any shifts or burning up any $1500 clutch set-ups!:beer:
Besides stock clutch went up in smoke with only 2000 miles on the car (and yes I know how to drive a stick shift :bash: ) Said piss on it, same thing I said the 5th time the car wheel hopped on me.

larryc7777

Established Member
oh yeah it can be done. you will have to revamp the tranny though.
as far as losing boost, no worries. the set up larry is suggesting happens so fast that the blower will never know it.

larry, when you get it perfected let us know. were all counting on ya:-D

Well alrighty then. Here's my far out, no-way-to-make-it-happen system. First, you need a double throw toggle switch tied into the wiring of the cruise on/off switch on the left side of the steering wheel. The toggle would select either normal button function or allow the on/off switch to be used as a momentary switch. When used as a momentary switch, the voltage signal would be sent to a relay that has an adjustable duration for "on" time. The output of this relay would be somehow tied into the ignition system to kill the engine for the indicated amount of time. During this "off" time, the driver would complete his no lift powershift. Of course, the trans would probably have to have every other spline on the gear sliders machined off in order to allow the sliders a better chance of engaging the next gear.
Here's how it would work: After selecting the "shift" mode with the toggle switch, you would accelerate at WOT to your preferred shift point. Then you would push the "kill" button with your left thumb while pulling/pushing the shifter into the next gear. Since the relay controls the kill time, you don't need to worry about pushing & releasing the button quickly. The button would only need to be released before the next shift to allow the relay to reset.
There, I've done my part, now it's up to somebody else to make it a reality. :D

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
how much mph did you lose from the conversion????

Never had it to the track before the conversion, and haven't quite finished the tranny yet. I can tell you it is one unique set-up though. Manual valve body, Pro-Ratchet shifter mounted in the console (backwards gear pattern [not reverse pattern]), and my clutch pedal will still be used for racing :-D figure that one out:shrug: .
PM if you want more details, I don't want to steal this thread.:beer:

J15BIG

Established Member
I was reading this thread the other day and tonight i tried shifting without the clutch. it was suprisingly easy and smooth. Is shifting with out the clutch bad for the tranny? I went from 1st all the way to 6th without using the clutch and it felt the same as if I were using the clutch. the car moved smoothly and the shifter went out and into gear smoothly. is it a bad idea to do that all the time??

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
:lol: :lol: :lol:

DO NOT listen to these guys!!!!!!:burn: :loser:

your car WILL NOT shift without the clutch at wide open throttle. the trans will disengage from the current gear and then hit a brick wall (if you muscle it past the synchro) when it hits the next gear spinning at a significantly slower rate. G R I N D !!!!!!!

you must specially modify a trans (known as a crash box) to do this.
don't try this!!!!!!!! you will break your shifter and or shift forks before it goes in.:nono:

OK here is what will work,
Start in 1st gear, you'll need the clutch to start. Bring the rpm up to 3-4 grand while in 1st, you can actually do it at lower rpm but this is the range I like. Pre-load (pull on th shifter before letting up on the gas) the shifter, let up lightly on the gas and the shifter will fall out of 1st, then slightly tap the throttle and let off quickly while pulling into 2nd, the sychros will almost suck the shifter into 2nd but you will have a slight pull or push to get it in gear. Easy to do up shifting, down shifting is harder. NOT USED FOR RACING but you don't have to screw with the clutch, if you start grinding the gears obviously let out and get the clutch involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread