can you shift through the gears without using the clutch.....

mers1083

Established Member
someone was telling me to give that a try at the track but i wasn't sure if it would really go into gear or not...... i thought power shifting was when you shift through the gears but don't take your foot off the gas BUT you do use the clutch. was I wrong to think that?

Doc2003Cobra

Established Member
of course you can but it is not advisable, lol, let someone more technically inclinded explained ( it's hard enough to do it in normal driving mode).

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I LOVE powershifting!

Originally posted by mers1083
..... i thought power shifting was when you shift through the gears but don't take your foot off the gas BUT you do use the clutch. was I wrong to think that?

you are not wrong...its a lot of fun but can be brutal on your tranny while you get the hang of it

I would never attempt to shift without the clutch...if done properly, powershifting is wickedly quick :burnout:

edit: should add that it can be brutal on your whole drivetrain even when done correctly...with sticky tires and clutch it will probably lead to broken input or halfshaft if they're left stock....

Last edited:

speedtigger

Established Member
:lol: :lol: :lol:

DO NOT listen to these guys!!!!!!:burn: :loser:

your car WILL NOT shift without the clutch at wide open throttle. the trans will disengage from the current gear and then hit a brick wall (if you muscle it past the synchro) when it hits the next gear spinning at a significantly slower rate. G R I N D !!!!!!!

you must specially modify a trans (known as a crash box) to do this.
don't try this!!!!!!!! you will break your shifter and or shift forks before it goes in.:nono:

Last edited:

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Your talking about fly shifting. U certainly can not do it while racing. Semis do it all the time to save wear and tear on their clutch. Thats the only reason to do it. Any manual will slip out of gear when there is no force pushing or pulling the car. The same can be said for going into gear. Try putting a slight pressure on ur shifter to take it out of gear without using ur cluch. Then let ur foot off the accelerater. Itll pop out easy enough. Then gently push it towards the next gear, when ur rpms fall to the appropriate level it will slip in. U'll get a touch for it I do it all the time. As far as racing goes u need a clutchless manual like they use in top fuel.

P.S. Powershifting is when u dont take ur foot off the gas when u shift. U still use the clutch:idea:

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I just wanted to give him a plug for the replacement for our 10-spline that he developed :beer:

I'm still running the first prototype in my car and it hasn't let me down yet, although I am still only running drag radials

http://www.libertysgears.com/newreleases.htm

Last edited:

speedtigger

Established Member
Originally posted by WishIHadaCobra
Your talking about fly shifting. U certainly can not do it while racing. Semis do it all the time to save wear and tear on their clutch. Thats the only reason to do it. Any manual will slip out of gear when there is no force pushing or pulling the car. The same can be said for going into gear. Try putting a slight pressure on ur shifter to take it out of gear without using ur cluch. Then let ur foot off the accelerater. Itll pop out easy enough. Then gently push it towards the next gear, when ur rpms fall to the appropriate level it will slip in. U'll get a touch for it I do it all the time. As far as racing goes u need a clutchless manual like they use in top fuel.

P.S. Powershifting is when u dont take ur foot off the gas when u shift. U still use the clutch:idea:

:beer:
This guy know exactly what he is talking about!!!!!:thumbsup:
glad to meet u "wish" i wish u had a cobra too
:burnout:

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Well actually Im leaving tomorrow at 7(thats in 3.5 hours) to go to virginia which is 200+ miles away to go look at one. Im going down with money in hand and everything set up insurance wise and what not, so im pretty serious. Its a black 98 with 25k miles on it. Im very excited i feel like a kid on christmas eve. I guess thats why im on a car fourum at 330 in the morning.:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Yes, it is possible to shift without the clutch. I broke the clutch cable on my 86 GT and got it home just fine. Redlightsand stop signs presented the biggest challenge, I had to shut off the engine, put it in first, and start the engine. I had rigged the clutch switch on that car to start it without depressing the pedal, but if yours is unmodified, you will need to push the pedal down to start off like this. BTW, this is probably hard on the starter, so I would recommend it only in an emergency.

When moving, the rest of the gears were easy, just like WishIHadaCobra said.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Originally posted by speedtigger
:lol: :lol: :lol:

DO NOT listen to these guys!!!!!!:burn: :loser:

your car WILL NOT shift without the clutch at wide open throttle. the trans will disengage from the current gear and then hit a brick wall (if you muscle it past the synchro) when it hits the next gear spinning at a significantly slower rate. G R I N D !!!!!!!

you must specially modify a trans (known as a crash box) to do this.
don't try this!!!!!!!! you will break your shifter and or shift forks before it goes in.:nono:

What he said!

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
I can do it, and it won't hurt a damn thing.....see sig.....:beer:

Sorry, I know thats not what you were after!:beer:

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Like they said..no way man...for racing anyway...of course you can shift ..easily and sneaking the car into the next gear without a clutch..but thats not what you buddies are saying.

The main definition for power shifting is keeping your throttle foot floored as you bang the next gear using the clutch at the same time. So you are not letting up on the gas while you shift as fast as you can with perfect timing of engaging clutch and next gear.

speedtigger

Established Member
Originally posted by 4sdvenom
I can do it, and it won't hurt a damn thing.....see sig.....:beer:

Sorry, I know thats not what you were after!:beer:

my grandma could speed shift your car :lol1:

larryc7777

Established Member
Okay, what was said about not being able to shift at WOT without the clutch on the stock tranny is absolutely true. In fact, I would be willing to bet that you wouldn't be able to PULL the shifter out of gear unless you let up on the gas a little.

SO:idea: , Here's my instant brilliant idea....Why not SOMEHOW connect a momentary switch to the shifter; or shift linkage; or a pushbutton that will kill the engine MOMENTARILY exactly when you go for the next gear. When the engine is off, the release of torque on the transmission gears would allow the movement of the gears, BUT I don't know if the tranny gears would have to be specially machined(slick shifted) to allow engagement into the next gear. This technique has been used for many years on drag bikes. If everything worked just right, you could make a no-lift powershift without the clutch as fast as you could move the shifter.

speedtigger

Established Member
oh yeah it can be done. you will have to revamp the tranny though.
as far as losing boost, no worries. the set up larry is suggesting happens so fast that the blower will never know it.

larry, when you get it perfected let us know. were all counting on ya:-D

Users who are viewing this thread