can you rebuild your alternator?

golfprowanabe

Established Member
I'm just curious if anyone has rebuilt there own alternator. I hear having them rebuilt is the way to go. I now have mine out of the car since it left me stranded (after 60k so I suppose I should actually be thankful from what I've read on here!). Does it take really special tools to do the job yourself?

03 TWIN

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
I had mine rebuilt. Took it off myself and then headed to an alternator shop for the rebuild. Cost me $80 and still going.

golfprowanabe

Established Member
I've read a few people get theirs rebuilt for about $70 to $80. Everywhere I call, they want around $135! Anyone know of a good place around the Tampa Bay area?

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
being a little cheap arent ya buddy? Go get a new one. I certaintly wouldnt trust a rebuilt if you are worried about being stranded.

golfprowanabe

Established Member
LOL yeah I'm being a bit cheap! I just replaced the clutch and pressure plate, changed out a synchro with keys in the tranny, and opened up the differential and reshimmed it! Spent quite a bit on all that. Funds were kind of drained! LOL But seriously though, I've read that rebuilding is the better way to go. And they can also beef up the alternator a bit too.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
golfprowanabe said:
LOL yeah I'm being a bit cheap! I just replaced the clutch and pressure plate, changed out a synchro with keys in the tranny, and opened up the differential and reshimmed it! Spent quite a bit on all that. Funds were kind of drained! LOL But seriously though, I've read that rebuilding is the better way to go. And they can also beef up the alternator a bit too.
i hear ya there my friend. I know what its like to start modding crap and then the funds dry up.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
ShortThrow50 said:
being a little cheap arent ya buddy? Go get a new one. I certaintly wouldnt trust a rebuilt if you are worried about being stranded.

lot of the "new ones" out there are rebuilt!

Users who are viewing this thread