Can you just replace the 460 head unit and sound right?

csm1320

Established Member
Need to replace the mach 460 6 disk CD player in my 03 cobra and keep finding different information on weather or not it will sound and work correctly. I just want to replace the head unit and have found info saying it wont work since something was changed with the amp control and the factory head unit in the 03 and up mustangs with 6 disk in dash units. Has anyone had any luck with just replacing the factory 6 disk unit with an aftermarket cd player? Also anyone know what extra wiring harness i need to get to make it sound better? Thanks for any help offered.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
NO problems whatsoever if you get the correct wiring harness. :beer:

Just swapped to an in dash DVD player myself, and the sound works great! :rockon:

black 10th vert

Established Member
^+1!
My sound system sounds much better with the Pioneer nav system (and it was pretty good already with the 460).

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
WHat kind of harness are you guys using? I've read that the total ohms comes to something oddball, like 3 ohms. If thats the case it will be working a 4 ohm receiver pretty hard

Lefty10

....Slow....
Established Member
Last edited:

RGrossman

Established Member
[ame=http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1807705]Clarion NX409 7" In-Dash DVD Receiver w/ GPS $380 - SlickDeals.net Forums[/ame]

Checkout that thread. I got the Clarion NX409 GPS navigation system for 351 shipped and Crutchfield includes the mounting adapter, power adapter and speaker cable adapters for free with purchase.

skratpiece

Established Member
The speakers are 8 ohm I believe, and if I recall the tweeters running off the same power changes the final ohms to 4. Something like that. My system is completely modified. If you have questions just hit me up.

grand

Established Member
Hey guys, the harness I got is for the 03 cobra, but it does not have a wire for the power antena, blue. were did you guys hook up the blue wire from the head unit to. I am thinking red, or do I just leave it unpluged.

RcodeStang

Established Member
Mach 460 = awful sound quality regardless of headunit

But yeah I had a hell of a time finding a solid answer on this. I bought my Pioneer headunit from crutchfield and they sent me two harnesses to use. Works fine with stock amps/speakers.

mean03

Established Member
I changed the head unit to an Alpine and shortly after upgraded all speakers to Boston Acoustics with Alpine Amps, I needed more power so I could hear when top was down. :)

which in dash dvd & navigation is the best bang-for-buck???
i blew some of my speakers and i need to upgrade because when i bought my car it had no amps in it they were taken out...
pics will help, thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread