Can you help us save irwindale raceway?

SlowZ28

Established Member
So the track is closing due to Toyota not renewing their contract. I put together a page on facebook as a start, but I am looking to throw together a youtube video as well. I want to get us SoCal, and anyone in general, together and keep them from shutting down another great track.

Here is the link to the Facebook page, Log In | Facebook, I am trying to gather everyone together regardless of manufacturer since we all love to race our cars not matter what.

Thanks to anyone who reads this, we need to show CA, that we are the hot rod scene now and we are here to stay.

SlowZ28

Established Member
It's a good idea but how's this gonna make up for the missing Toyota $$$$$?

Ya know what, I honestly don't know. I have met and can contact Parnelli Jones, and will be doing so tomorrow. Other than that I am spreading the word and trying to gain momentum. We were once the hot bed of hot rodding, I don't see why we can't get everyone together to fight and keep a raceway alive since they like to shut them down in CA.

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
Isnt that a 1/8 mile track?

Cali was the hot bed of hot rodding long ago but now is got all the emissions crap and most people try to avoid that.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The news in the other thread is that they've already started to tear down the track. Anything is possible, but it seems it is sadly too little too late. And to think that there were once so many drag strips (and other tracks) in southern California that you've be hard pressed to decide which one you'd go to. Sad.

And yes, the emissions crap was a factor over the years, but noise complaints from surrounding communities/neighborhoods was a big factor, too. And the need to use the valuable land for commercial/retail purposes.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
one of the many reasons why i could never and will never live in CA. fuggin smog nazi's

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
They shut down the only track here in Kansas City a month or 2 ago. Sadly, I never got to run on it, but the city forced it into closure...

neatofrito1618

Established Member
They recently shut down our local 1/8th as well.

They always had a pretty good turnout being that we had a sizable racing scene in the area, it generally took 40-60+ minutes just to make one pass depending on the day.

I now have to drive over 3 hours round trip just to make a couple passes in my car. Considering the asinine government budget and the fact they're sticking their damned noses in everything you would think they would build tracks around areas where large amounts of street racing tickets are written, it would be one of their few investments that would actually create revenue.

MyNamesAriva

Established Member
You know what.....it sucks but at least we still got the Fontana race track, wich is way better. And we still got some down here in San Diego, Qualcomm 1/8 track and Barona speedway1/4 mile track. I was never a big fan of Irwindale.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
You know what.....it sucks but at least we still got the Fontana race track, wich is way better. And we still got some down here in San Diego, Qualcomm 1/8 track and Barona speedway1/4 mile track. I was never a big fan of Irwindale.

+1, never been a fan of Irwindale either. Ran there once but thats it.

runsonboost

Established Member
Did barona expand? when i was out there it was only an 1/8th. qualcomm is fun to watch or play around on, but for actual racing its a joke. Irwindale was a decent track, raced there once in my Z06.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
This is just bullsh!t. Im seriously pissed. Its plain and simple they want us to not street race especially in the inner cities but wont give us anywhere "local" to race. Fontana is once a month and a 45min drive. San diego is a rediculous trip to go race. Guess ill have to suck it up and go to other tracks.:mad::banghead:

Sent from compton while avoiding prostitutes, drive by's, and jehovahs witness' while using an android phone

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Sorry but a facebook page isn't gonna save Irwindale. Only a couple million dollars will save it. Tracks come and go, it sucks, but its the nature of the beast.

OneBadWS6

Established Member
They shut down the only track here in Kansas City a month or 2 ago. Sadly, I never got to run on it, but the city forced it into closure...

I grew up at that track. Spent many wednesday, friday and sunday nights there. Made my first pass 17.1@81 I think in a 3.4L Camaro V6 when I was 16 lol. R.I.P. KCIR and now R.I.P. irwindale.....:nonono:

TorchMach

Established Member
I found out about this over the weekend this really sucks :(

Street racing will definitely increase do to this..

Users who are viewing this thread