Can we talk F250's for a second? (vs F150)

josephcostello

Established Member
Tow ratings don't mean anything IMO. My dads GMC with the 5.3 is rated at about 10k lb and he struggled pulling a 6.5k. lb travel trailer. His boat at 4500-5000k lb is adequate for that truck, just comes down to how hard you wanna push your rig.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Ill have to search for it again. It was just the peak power listed but the curve was quite a bit over from 1500ish to around 4500 before settling on the 80wtq number.

Another one on a quick search that shows 60wtq through the curve.
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/1...star-91-octane-performance-tune-vs-stock.html

Another showing a 50wtq gain but up top
http://www.morepowertuning.com/2015-f150-ecoboost-3.5-review

One with 125wtq under the curve @ 3000rpm, tune only....
https://www.full-race.com/articles/full-race-f-150-dyno-testing/

There seems to be quite a bit left mid range from the stock tune. Also, the exhaust, while hateful in sound, if opened up seems to generate a bit more under the curve if needed. And i know that this is one shop posting dyno results to sell products but they all seem to gain very large torque numbers on the basic tune alone.
Those dyno pulls and videos are all @ WOT unless read and/or misunderstood the articles and videos. That's not what i asked. I want to know how much of a gain @ partial throttle. For example 1/4 throttle.

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
I own an '11 F350 4x4. I also think you should skip the 250 and look at the 350. If your investing in a diesel it's for the long haul,go bigger. I tow a 19k triaxle toy hauler and a 20' v- nose enclosed car trailer with my Cobra inside. I get around 12 mpg towing and 15-16 around town unloaded. The PDF destroys my fuel economy and if I could I would delete it. With the 6.7 you will have power on demand no matter what speed your traveling or what your towing. I upgraded the intake and exhaust with Banks and us their automind tuner.

Tylerc

Established Member
Why not look at a gas engine f250? Will save a decent amount to over a diesel and not have nearly as much maintenence costs. Mpg will be similar to your f150 when towing and will tow way better. I doubt you would ever recoup the mileage difference between gas and diesel.

Established Member
There is a definite benefit to diesel on resale. I no longer need to tow, so I just sold my 90K 2001 F350 dually 4 door lariat for 20K. It would tow anything anywhere, and the 7.3 was bulletproof. Cost me 5K more new to get the diesel, but Id say I got all 5K back at resale. With 4.10s, I put a gear venders overdrive in it and got 18-20 empty and generally 13-15 depending on what I was towing. I would also go to the 350 over 250 if you are going to make the jump. One of my farmer friends has a newer 250, and although adequate, he will certainly go back to 350 on the next vehicle.

BJCobra99

Established Member
The F250 rides better. Unless you need it don't buy a 350. (I had a 15 F250 diesel and really liked it)
Rides better? Not. An F250 with the camper package is the exact same vehicle as F350 except the extra set of overload springs. Those springs don't work until some decent weight is added. The 250/350 debate is now more about insurance costs, and following weight restrictions. The trucks are the same though.

CO Mack

Established Member
Normal F250 (or 10k GVWR which I had) are softer sprung and a bit lower in the rear. I test drove both it was obvious.

BJCobra99

Established Member
Springs are the same(minus the overload.) The changes are the rear blocks. If you get the 350 or 250 with camper package then the taller blocks are included. "Feel" a difference in a HD truck? Either way it's a 8000lb+ solid axle truck. Haha. Having an extra soft vagina would be the only way to tell any difference.

hockeylover86

Established Member
Rides better? Not. An F250 with the camper package is the exact same vehicle as F350 except the extra set of overload springs. Those springs don't work until some decent weight is added. The 250/350 debate is now more about insurance costs, and following weight restrictions. The trucks are the same though.

Not exactly the same for 2017, some differences with the trans and rear end, borrowed from another site:

For 2017 F250 and F350 SRW, not quite. Yes, front diffs (axles), bodies, and brakes are the same.

The drivetrains vary:
  • F250 with gas engine is fitted with 6R100 TorqShift G and Ford Sterling rear axle
  • F250 with diesel engine is fitted with 6R140 AT and Ford Sterling rear axle
  • F250 with diesel + HD tow Pkg is fitted with 6R140 AT and Dana M275 rear axle
  • F350 with gas engine is fitted with 6R140 AT and Ford Sterling rear axle
  • F350 with diesel engine is fitted with 6R140 AT and Dana M275 rear axle
  • Gas and diesel engines offer different axle ratio options
Stock F250 gets a three-leaf rear spring pack. Optional camper pkg adds an aux rear spring (total = four). Basic F350 (XL?) and 17" wheels gets a four-leaf rear spring pack, most others get five leaves.

F250 max GVWR is 10K lbs., and is probably "paper limited". Max F350 SRW GVWR is 11,500 lbs. Don't know about the front springs.

nxhappy

Established Member
Why not look at a gas engine f250? Will save a decent amount to over a diesel and not have nearly as much maintenence costs. Mpg will be similar to your f150 when towing and will tow way better. I doubt you would ever recoup the mileage difference between gas and diesel.
I agree, the V10 F250 was a great motor.

coposrv

Established Member

This. My 350 was 11,400 gvw. Every year for inspections I had to go to a commercial truck shop. My gas stations in mass can only inspect up to 10k. just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread