Can these cars get stolen without the key?

Friendchicken

I had someone break in and rip out my steering column to try and steel the car. Steering wheel lock was broken as was all the guts of my ignition yanked.

Is the PATS system enough to prevent the amatures from getting these cars by breaking into the steering column?

Good news is, the stock stereo was untouched :rollseyes

coleman

Established Member
yes ... tow truck for one.
either the theif didn't have enough time of was simply not a professional...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If someone wants it bad enough, it is definitely possible. We've seen a few stolen Cobras reported right here on this forum. The sad thing is that when they're stolen they're usually beat up pretty bad. :-(

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
I was told by an ex-car theif that you can steel a late model mustang with a pair of childrens scissors. I took it for what it was worth, and when my stereo goes in a pager alarm will too.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I had someone try to steal my '02 GT. They got into the car by making a small slit in the top and sticking something instide to hit the unlock button. Fortunately for me, the car had an alarm with a slight delay (door opens, starts 30 second timer to deactivate alarm). The alarm went off and the so the theif in my case took off as well.

I was wondering if they would have gotten away with the car as well though if the alarm had not gone off though.

1FastFord

Established Member
if its a professional and they want it bad enough, they will just flatbed it.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
yank the ignition, swap the pcm that you brought with you that has the matching key and bye bye cobra.

or just tow it.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
No, you're not safe.

Flatbed? Not alot of professionals will bother, that's alot of work, and alot of noise, what with the truck pulling up to your driveway, lowering the ramp, etc etc...
It certainly happens, but it's not that viable. For the cobra on the flatbed it's alot easier to put a porsche on the flatbed, guys.
Frankly, your car can dissapear nice and quick.
Without a truck.
That's true of all cars too. And recently I was walking and I took notice of a gorgeous new BMW 545i- and it had a useless auto club on the steering wheel!
Looks like a 545i owner just replaced his stolen BMW
Basically, be thankful he was an amateur. Just wait for the professional, you know alot of them don't even damage the steering column or anything else.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by BuffDigits
yank the ignition, swap the pcm that you brought with you that has the matching key and bye bye cobra.

or just tow it.

That won't work because the PCM also looks at the instrument cluster. All 3 have to agree.

Dana

zeener96

Established Member
I think the only way you could do it is with a handheld programmer to turn off the immobilizer circuit.

I would be highly impressed if someone could start it with only scissors??

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
Well guys if happend to me 2 weeks ago. I have been too upset to post about it on here but my zinc 03 was yanked from my driveway in broad daylight! It had to be a tow truck, it was recovered with the doors and glass intact,but that was all that was left.:nonono:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Kingcobra,
Can you tell if the steering column or the PCM was tampered with?
Sorry to bring up a sore subject.

Thanks,

Dana

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
I have seen trucks with tire snatchers that will yank a car and tow it, in a matter of 15 seconds, back the truck up put on the clamps slide the plate to the tires pull it a few inches, raise the tire grabber and bubye...

maoun

Established Member
actually, the cluster doesn't have to agree....just swap in a PCM that has PATS disabled and you're set

ITSTOCK

Established Member
I'm not sure about our cars, but GM's (vettes, f-bodies) are extremely easy to steal even with their keys. Anyone with a decent background in electronics would be able to figure out how to bypass it with something as simple as a slot car controller.

Users who are viewing this thread