can someone tell me wtf happened?????????

cemille01

high on psi.......
Established Member
Ok so on my recent thread labeled "head tick repair options" I stated that I bought a termi with whhat I thought was a head tick,got the car on Friday and the car is a beast and drives perfectly fine except for the tick,after getting tags blah blah blah I drive to my buddie to show him what the car could do,made one pass and then tturned around to make another,got on it and it had hit fuel cut which I thought wouldn't have happend cuz it has dual ford gt fuel pumps,60 pnd injectors and tune,well I pulled up to the next light and it was misfiring real bad,got to my buddys and pulled the codes with my sct and it threw codes,P0127,p0234,p1114 which to my understanding all of them had to do with overboost,next we pull the plugs all of them checked out fine except the drivers side rear plug which was a little black,but the prong was bent over into the electrode the plugs are ngk tr6's which to my under standing are 3mm longer to help with spark,now the plugs to pull out were super tight! I'm talking breaker bar tight,went to the store got a new plug and dropped it in,started it up and it still had a slight miss,turned the car off let it sit went to start it up and it wouldn't start! Finally got it cranked and it was runnin like poo,put the sct on and no codes,so at this pointim like a hour and a half away from my house so tow truck is out of the question,so I decided to drive it and see if it would straighten out,well half way down the street it straightened out and the miss stopped,pulled up and opened the hood and no more head tick either! Is it possible the plugs were too tight and the piston was coming up and kissin the piston causing the tapping? Or could it have been that some one dropped the plug in there and bent it and from the over boost it meelted it?? I drove it all the way home last night and it ran fine and no more tick! Which is reliving for me cuz it was a $2.00 fix instead of a $4400 fix for the head replacement,anyone have any idea what may have happened please respond I am lost,cars staying parked intill I can get it to my tuner to check the a/f and see what tune it has,car is from mississippi and was tuned with 90 degree inlet temps,I'm in pa and its a lot Cooler here so I didn't know if the different sea levels would throw the tune out or what?

saleencobra

Established Member
i had a plug end up like yours but to my understanding it never ticked. it was caused by a problem with my tune. apparently my inj pressure was getting cut in half at WOT causing it to fall on tis face and backfire.

the car would miss everynow and then but after awhile it straightened out but then after another WOT pull it'll start again.

i'd take it to a tuner and explain ur problem and get it retuned or at least datalogged. something everyone who buys a heavily modified car should do.

cemille01

high on psi.......
Established Member
Yea I'm gonna def get it tuned asap,I find it hard to belive that a piston hit it just cuz the electrode would be crushed and the plug would be in worse shape,I guess the ticking was due to mis fire? Or fuel being loaded up in the cylinder? Have no clue just glad the tick is gone as of now,car idles good now and starts right up,I'm sure its a tuning issue

cemille01

high on psi.......
Established Member
So how could low pressure in the injector make the plug end up like that? Detonation? I'm surprised I'm not getting more responses,I'm just tryin to learn as much as I can about the car before I take it to the tuner,

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So how could low pressure in the injector make the plug end up like that? Detonation? I'm surprised I'm not getting more responses,I'm just tryin to learn as much as I can about the car before I take it to the tuner,

Probably cause thats just plain weird! It wasn't the "tick" if it went away from changing a plug.......suscribing.

cemille01

high on psi.......
Established Member
Yea I'm glad it wasn't the tick,there's def no tick left in the motor at all,I have a sct programmer,can I moniter the indivdual cylinders for misfire? I can't seem to. Figure it out

hotcobra03

Established Member
2 cents

not that this is alot of help,im no tuner,but read alot on codes,,

you might want to read about your codes again,,,i see this in causes for po234....
Low speed fuel pump relay not switching

po127...see pintest du 30..
po234...pintest kj1
po1114...pintest...du 20

po127.P0127 - Intake Air Temperature Too High Indicates that IAT2 sensor has detected a potential abnormality in the intercooler system. This condition will cause the boost from the supercharger to be bypassed to avoid potential engine damage.
  • Blockage of heat exchangers
  • Low fluid level
  • Fluid leakage
  • Intercooler pump or relay failure
  • Crossed intercooler coolant lines
Monitor IAT2 PID. Typical IAT2 temperature should be greater than IAT1. Refer to Section 6 : Reference Values for ranges.
po234
P0234 - Supercharger Overboost Condition The PCM disables (bypasses) the supercharger boost and sets a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) to keep from damaging the powertrain (engine or transmission) during potential harmful operating conditions.
  • Brake torque (brake on and throttle at wide open)
  • Transmission oil temperature (TOT) exceeds calibrated threshold
  • Engine over temperature
  • Ignition misfire exceeds calibrated threshold
  • Knock sensor (KS) failure or knock detected
  • Low speed fuel pump relay not switching
Check for other diagnostic trouble codes accompanying the P0234 or check appropriate and available PIDs related to above possible causes.
po1114
P1114 - Intake Air Temperature 2 Circuit Low Input Indicates the sensor signal is less than Self-Test minimum. The IAT2 sensor minimum is 0.2 volts.
  • Grounded circuit in harness
  • Improper harness connection
  • Damaged sensor
  • Damaged PCM
Monitor IAT2 PID. Typical IAT2 temperature should be greater than IAT1. Refer to Section 6 : Reference Values for ranges.

hotcobra03

Established Member
pintest du

2003 PCED OBD
SECTION 5: Pinpoint Tests
Procedure revision date: 08/19/2002

DU: Intake Air Temperature 2 (IAT2)
V32~us~en~file=arrowbak.gif~gen~ref.gif
DU: Introduction

DU10 DTC P1115: SIMULATE OPPOSITE SIGNAL TO PCM

• With IAT2 temperature sensor disconnected, connect a jumper wire between the sensor signal and SIG RTN circuits at the temperature sensor harness connector.
  • Key on. Note: If a scan tool communication concern exists, remove jumper wire immediately and GO to DU12 .
  • Access IAT2 temperature sensor voltage PID.
Is the IAT2 temperature sensor voltage PID less than 0.2 volts?
Yes No REPLACE suspect sensor. KEY OFF. REMOVE jumper wire. GO to DU11 .
DU11 CHECK TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL AND SIG RTN CIRCUITS FOR OPEN IN HARNESS

• Note: Refer to the PCM connector pin numbers on this pinpoint test cover page.
  • Disconnect PCM.
  • Measure resistance of sensor signal circuit between PCM harness connector pin and IAT2 sensor harness connector.
  • Measure resistance of SIG RTN circuit between PCM harness connector pin and IAT2 temperature sensor harness connector.
Is each resistance less than 5.0 ohms?
Yes No REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) ). REPAIR open circuits.
DU12 CHECK TEMPERATURE SIGNAL FOR SHORT TO VREF IN HARNESS

• Key off.
  • Disconnect PCM.
  • Measure resistance between IAT2 temperature signal circuit at the sensor harness connector and VREF circuits at the PCM harness connector.
Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes No REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) ). REPAIR short to VREF.
DU20 P1114: SIMULATE OPPOSITE SIGNAL TO PCM

• Disconnect harness from IAT2 temperature sensor.
  • Connect scan tool.
  • Key on.
  • Access IAT2 temperature sensor voltage PID.
  • Key off.
Is the IAT2 temperature sensor voltage PID greater than 4.2 volts?
Yes No REPLACE sensor. GO to DU21 .
DU21 CHECK VREF VOLTAGE TO TP SENSOR

• Refer to schematic at the beginning of the pinpoint test.
  • Disconnect TP sensor.
  • Key on, engine off.
  • Measure the voltage between VREF and SIG RTN circuits at the TP sensor harness connector.
Is voltage between 4.0 and 6.0 volts?
Yes No There is sufficient VREF voltage. RECONNECT TP sensor. GO to DU22 . KEY OFF. GO to C1 .
DU22 CHECK TEMPERATURE SIGNAL CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO GROUND IN HARNESS

• Note: Refer to the PCM connector pin numbers on this pinpoint test cover page.
  • Disconnect PCM.
  • Measure resistance between sensor signal and SIG RTN circuits and then between sensor signal and PWR GND circuits at the PCM harness connector.
Is each resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes No REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) ). REPAIR short circuit.
DU30 P0127 IAT2 TOO HIGH. CHECK SUPERCHARGER INTERCOOLER PUMP OPERATION

• Connect scan tool.
  • Access Output Test Mode.
  • Select Mode: ALL ON.
  • Command pump to run.
Does supercharger intercooler pump run?
Yes No GO to DU31 . KEY OFF. GO to KP8 (Charge Air Cooler Pump).
DU31 CHECK INTERCOOLER SYSTEM

• Check intercooler system for:
    • low fluid level.
    • cracked coolant lines.
    • blocked heat exchanger or coolant lines.
    • crossed coolant lines.
Is intercooler system OK?
Yes No KEY OFF. GO to DU32 . REPAIR as necessary.
DU32 SIMULATE HIGH IAT2 VOLTAGE SIGNAL

• Connect scan tool.
  • Key on.
  • Access IAT2 VPID.
  • Observe PID while disconnecting IAT2 sensor.
Is PID greater than 4.0V?
Yes No GO to DU33 . REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) ).
DU33 SIMULATE LOW IAT2 VOLTAGE SIGNAL

• Access IAT2 VPID.
  • Observe PID while connecting a jumper wire between the sensor signal and SIG RTN circuit at the temperature sensor harness connector.
Is PID less than 1.0V?
Yes No RECONNECT sensor and GO to Section 6 , Reference Values. COMPARE IAT2 PID to reference values under the given road test conditions. If sensor is not in range, REPLACE IAT2 sensor. REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) ).

hotcobra03

Established Member
pin test kj

2003 PCED OBD
SECTION 5: Pinpoint Tests
Procedure revision date: 08/19/2002

KJ: Supercharge Bypass Control
V32~us~en~file=arrowbak.gif~gen~ref.gif
KJ: Introduction

KJ1 DTC P0234: CHECK FOR OTHER DTCS

• Note: The supercharger will be bypassed when the brake is on and the throttle is depressed in the wide open throttle position. This is called brake torque and the engine torque is too high.
  • Check that the engine has not been subjected to brake torque causing the P0234.
  • Drive the vehicle for 10 to 15 minutes with the engine exceeding 2,000 rpm and the engine temperature stabilizing.
    • No Starts:
    • For Stalls:
  • Return to repair area and check that upper radiator hose is hot and pressurized.
  • Rerun Quick Test and retrieve KOER and continuous and retrieve DTCs.
Are any other KOEO, KOER and Continuous Memory DTCs present with the KOER or Continuous Memory P0234?
Yes No KEY OFF. GO to Section 4, Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Charts , for Pinpoint Test direction and REPAIR DTCs. GO to KJ2 .
KJ2 CHECK SCAN TOOL PIDS FOR CAUSES OF OVERBOOST CONDITION

• Key on, engine running.
  • Access IAT2, TFT (5.4L SC only) and RPM PIDs.
  • Observe the PIDs for values exceeding the following limits:
    • Intake air temperature (downstream), IAT2 PID greater than 230°F.
    • Transmission fluid temperature, TFT PID greater than 275°F (5.4L SC only).
Do any of the above PIDs exceed the limit?
Yes No For IAT2:

CHECK for low fluid level in Intercooler System. CHECK for cracked intercooler lines. REPAIR as necessary.

For TFT (5.4L only):

CHECK for low transmission fluid level. REFER to Automatic Transmission Section 307 in the Workshop Manual for fluid changes. GO to KJ3 .
KJ3 CHECK FOR LOW SPEED FUEL PUMP RELAY NOT SWITCHING

• Key on, engine running.
  • Access LFPF PID.
Is a fault indicated on the low speed fuel pump (FP) output?
Yes No KEY OFF. GO to Section 4, Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Charts for diagnostic direction following DTC P1232. CHECK for indications of engine knock while driving the vehicle. REPAIR as necessary. If OK, indicate to vehicle owner that transmission damage will occur upon brake torque (reference: GO to KJ1 ). Otherwise, unable to determine cause of overboost condition at this time.
KJ6 DTC P0243: CHECK SUPERCHARGER (BOOST) BYPASS SOLENOID OUTPUT

• Key off.
  • Disconnect supercharger (boost) bypass (SCB) solenoid.
  • Connect a non-powered test lamp between SCB and VPWR circuits at the SCB solenoid harness connector.
  • Key on, engine off.
  • Attempt to close and open SCB solenoid driver in PCM by accessing Output Test Mode or scan tool.
  • While observing the test lamp, command the PCM outputs on and off.
Does the test lamp cycle on and off (light up and turn off)?
Yes No KEY OFF. GO to KJ7 . For test lamp always off :

GO to KJ8 .

For test lamp always on :

KEY OFF. GO to KJ11 .
KJ7 CHECK SCB SOLENOID RESISTANCE

• Measure SCB solenoid resistance.
Is resistance between 68 and 78 ohms?
Yes No CHECK for damaged vacuum hoses between engine intake manifold and SCB solenoid. CHECK for vacuum reservoir assembly leaks. REPAIR or REPLACE as necessary. If OK, GO to Z1 for intermittent diagnosis. REPLACE damaged SCB solenoid.
KJ8 CHECK FOR OPEN VPWR CIRCUIT BETWEEN SCB SOLENOID AND POWER RELAY

• Measure voltage between VPWR circuit at the SCB solenoid harness connector and battery negative post.
Is voltage greater than 10.5 volts?
Yes No KEY OFF. GO to KJ10 . KEY OFF. GO to KJ9
KJ9 CHECK VPWR CIRCUIT FOR OPEN IN HARNESS

• Note: Refer to the PCM connector pin number chart in the beginning of the pinpoint test.
  • Disconnect PCM.
  • Measure resistance of VPWR circuit between PCM harness connector pin and SCB solenoid harness connector.
Is resistance less than 5.0 ohms?
Yes No GO to KJ10 . REPAIR open circuit.
KJ10 CHECK SCB CIRCUIT FOR OPEN IN HARNESS

• Measure resistance of SCB circuit between PCM harness connector pin and SCB solenoid harness connector.
Is resistance less than 5.0 ohms?
Yes No REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) ). REPAIR open circuit.
KJ11 CHECK SCB CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO PWR GND IN HARNESS

• Note: Refer to the PCM connector pin number chart in the beginning of this pinpoint test.
  • Disconnect PCM.
  • Disconnect scan tool from DLC.
  • Measure resistance between SCB circuit and multiple PWR GND circuits at the PCM harness connector.
Are all resistances greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes No RECONNECT scan tool. GO to KJ12 . REPAIR short circuit.
KJ12 CHECK SCB CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO PWR OR CHASSIS GND IN HARNESS

• Key on, engine off.
  • Measure voltage between SCB circuit at the PCM harness connector and chassis ground.
Is voltage less than 1.0 volts?
Yes No KEY OFF. REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) ). KEY OFF. REPAIR short circuit to VPWR, VREF or chassis ground.
KJ13 LACK OF POWER (LOW BOOST) - CHECK VACUUM HOSES

• Note: For vehicle specific vacuum hose routing, refer to the vehicle information decal located in the front of the engine compartment.
  • Check for holes or cracks in the vacuum hose/tube between the supercharger bypass actuator and the supercharger bypass solenoid.
  • Check for holes or cracks in the vacuum hose/tube between the supercharger bypass solenoid and vacuum reservoir assembly.
  • Check for bends or kinks in the vacuum hose/tube between the supercharger bypass actuator and the supercharger bypass solenoid.
  • Check for bends or kinks in the vacuum hose/tube between the supercharger bypass solenoid and vacuum reservoir assembly.
  • Check for disconnect hose(s) between the supercharger bypass actuator, supercharger bypass solenoid and vacuum reservior assembly.
Are any leaks (holes or cracks) or restrictions (bends or kinks) in the vacuum hose(s) present?
Yes No REPAIR or REPLACE vacuum hose(s)/tube as necessary. RETURN to Section 3 , Symptom Chart 8 for Lack/Loss of Power.

hotcobra03

Established Member
car runs buetiful now tho....no codes anymore either since i turned em off

your cel just didnt come on because it wanted too...you say you just got it,no less with a problem,,after resetting cel it could take a while before cel sets again depending on use

this was just to read about for what did happen to send these codes,so if they come back you have some info on at least these codes

cemille01

high on psi.......
Established Member
Its cool bro thanks for the info,car needs tuned bottom line,I have no idea what kind of tune is on it now,plus it came from mississippi almost 20 hrs away from my house and the weather is a lot different down there,car was tuned with 90 degree inlet temps and its more in the 60s here

hotcobra03

Established Member
cobra

Its cool bro thanks for the info,car needs tuned bottom line,I have no idea what kind of tune is on it now,plus it came from mississippi almost 20 hrs away from my house and the weather is a lot different down there,car was tuned with 90 degree inlet temps and its more in the 60s here

good luck hope all goes well with car,,dont be afaid to drive it when its fixed

not sure on how up you are on terminators,,i looked to see where in pa you are...i have read alot on the intercoolers freezing and cracking cause they dont have proper coolant,,its ugly seeing theads with guys who posted up pics from theres...

my head comes monday,,i was looking into the gen2 evenflow kit,,just my luck they are off till the first...

does yours have the cooling mod?

cemille01

high on psi.......
Established Member
Yes it has the cooling mod already,the car is garage kept so the intercooler shouldbe ok,I'm running the green coolant,do you think it will be ok?
PHP:

cemille01

high on psi.......
Established Member
Turns out the intercooler pump was bad..... Caused detonation and blew a piston apart, rebuild is under way.. funny to see how much I didn't know when I first posted lulz

Ironhand

Banned
I was gonna say it needed a tune and a new IC pump. Nice to see I still got it. lol

Sorry to here about your problems. L&M engines is in PA and Mike knows his stuff, I would have him do the rebuild.

cemille01

high on psi.......
Established Member
Yea it sucks but what ya gonna do, turns out it was already coming apart before I first bought it the piston came apart and it hammered the piece up into the combustion chamber till there was nothing left, it had piston ring fragments in all four on the drivers side so needless to say I needed a new head,I actually bought a new mmr 4.75 Stroker, stage 3 comp cams, and a posi race port, and one hell of a tune when its done, the cars over at dgr and Dave guy is performing the work

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I see the year difference in posts. Did it take that long to actually blow he motor or do you barely drive it? Sucks to hear though

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
"Car runs beautifully now" next post "found out destroyed a piston".... Now where I cone from mustangs don't run good with 7.5 pistons

Users who are viewing this thread