Can someone look at their ER Speedcal for me?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I am working on a circuit that will trigger a T56 reverse lockout solenoid when the car is stopped, the same way the 03/04 Cobras work. I have a prototype done. It works great in cars without a Speedcal, but it doesn't work in cars equipped with a Speedcal.

I have a Standard Range Speedcal in my lab, and I have figured out how to use the Speedcal's LED circuit to drive my lockout circuit, but I don't have an Extended Range Speedcal. I need to know if the ER Speedcal has the same LED circuit.

Here is an annotated photo of my Standard Range Speedcal:

StdRangeSpeedcalLED.jpg

I need someone with an Extended Range Speedcal to take a look and see if it has a similar trace going from the LED, through a resistor to a test point. If it does, I need to know if the test point is also labled "E8". If it is significantly different from the Standard Range Speedcal, I'd appreciate a closeup photo, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

96dreamer

Established Member
i have one at home but im down at school. not sure the next time im going back either. if no one helps you out by then i snap some pictures

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I can take a peak at mine for you next weekend, if you haven't found anyone to help you out by them. That's the earliest opportunity I'll have, sorry Mark.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Sitting around in my car right now staring at my ER Speedcal and it does have the same circuit! I'll try to take a few pictures and upload them later.

Hope this helps!

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Thanks so much! That means that my circuit should work with both styles of Speedcals.

The Speedcal sends power to light the LED via the test point E8 circuit when the car is moving, so it makes a perfect signal to drive my T56 VSS/OSS reverse lockout circuit.

Next step is to make a prototype production PCB for the lockout circuit, and then find 5 beta testers with a mix of SR and ER Speedcals and 5 beta testers without Speedcals. Speedcal beta testers will need to be willing to solder a wire to the E8 test point, which won't hurt it, but will probably void the warranty.

Thanks again!

96dreamer

Established Member
i might be willing to test it out. i should be installing my t56 with er speed cal next month on my spring break. i had planned on cutting down the spring in the solenoid but i like this idea a lot more

Helomech74

Established Member
I'd be willing to test a box for you. I have a T56 already installed using the standard speedcal (non ER version). I have no issues soldering a wire to the Speedcal and no issues with warranty since it's already out of warranty anyway.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Here is the picture, Mark. Sorry I didn't get this to you sooner as I said I would. I've been pretty sick the past 2 days.

6959998767_892d1005f2_z.jpg

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Thanks Tabres. Exactly what I needed. I'll use it in the install instructions.

Now I need to finish the Rev 2 PCB design. The first rev was laid out to facilitate debugging.

Users who are viewing this thread