Can non track pack cars use 5w50?

CraZeeSTanG

Established Member
Just bought a brand new 5.0 cheap. Has 373s and brembo pkg. Says 5w20 on cap Im guessing it doesn't have the boss radiator or oil cooler.
But I am hard on my cars can we use 5w50?

Charliesgramps

Established Member
What model year is it?

NM, you said cheap new. Reading comprehension.

Your engine is mechanically the same as a Track Pack car minus the Boss cooling parts you mention. As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), Ford uses 5W50 in the Track Pack cars because of "expected usage" and 5W20 in the non-Track Pack cars for CAFE reasons.

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
What model year is it?

NM, you said cheap new. Reading comprehension.

Your engine is mechanically the same as a Track Pack car minus the Boss cooling parts you mention. As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), Ford uses 5W50 in the Track Pack cars because of "expected usage" and 5W20 in the non-Track Pack cars for CAFE reasons.

This, you should be able to run 5w50

Tyler72

Established Member
You can... But why? I track my car some & dont even run 5w-50. I have been running amsoil signature series 10w-30 and Ive been very happy with it.

Look at the independent oil analysis thread.

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
no need to run 5/50 unless you are tracking the hell out of it and it gets really hot while doing so. Filler cap reads 5/50, I run 0/30 in the winter and 0/40 in the summer and the only hard driving mine gets last for 1320 feet... LOL my coolant fan has already turned off when I get back to the pit... Hell I could run 0/20 for all that matters.
Why zero/number?, that oil is never thin enough no matter where you are on earth for cold start up protection.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
What about 0w40?

If you don't live in frigid weather there's no reason to drop to a 0w oil. As a general rule of thumb the lower the spread between the two numbers the better the oil will resist shearing. Hence one of the reasons that the Motorcraft 5w50 is a shear monster.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If you don't live in frigid weather there's no reason to drop to a 0w oil. As a general rule of thumb the lower the spread between the two numbers the better the oil will resist shearing. Hence one of the reasons that the Motorcraft 5w50 is a shear monster.

Bingo! Motorcraft 5W-50 relies heavily on viscosity improving polymers that expand when heated, attempting to maintain a 50 grade lubricant. The problem is, VI polymers wear out rapidly, resulting in shear. In the first 1,500 miles, the lubricant has thinned to a light 40 grade/heavy 30 grade lubricant.

Far as warm/hot climates, I always sacrifice a lubricant's cold flow properties for a narrower SAE number spread. (i.e. using 10W-30 instead of 0W-30). Amsoil's Signature Series 10W-30 has the same cold flow performance as cheap, off the shelf, 5W-30 lubricants. It also has a very low NOACK percentage, which is a major advantage to oil vapors escaping into your engine via the PCV system. Also, 10W-30 will be more stable (shear resistant) than 0W-30.

I'd like to add one thing. Amsoil AZO 0W-30 has shown just as much shear resistance as Amsoil ATM 10W-30. I've never seen a UOA outside of the 10.x range, no matter the miles of use. Virgin is 10.5 cSt @ 100*C. However, AZO has a higher NOACK % when compared to ATM. Still, AZO has a lower NOACK than any off the shelf lubricant, Pennzoil Ultra excluded.

This can't be said about any other 0W-30 lubricant. AZO is the perfect compromise for northern daily driven cars who want 1 lubricant for year round performance in their high powered car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread