Can I do E85 on this returnless setup i have? Info inside

JAYSVT06

Established Member
So I ran into a few other terminator guys, and they were running E85 on whipples with a fore hat on gt pumps and upgraded line with 80lb injectors, and a boost a pump.
My question is, can I do the same but with a stock modified hat and stock line? My goal is to hit around 700 rear hp.
My current fuel setup is Dual fual pump driver modules, wire upgrade, 80lb injectors, twin gt pumps. But i didnt know if the stock line would be enough to do it? IM currently 2.3 whipple on 93 making lil over 600 at the tires with just a 3 inch upper only and all supporting mods.

I figured id goto a 2.75 upper and run e85. I was going to take it to amazon tuning to have it tuned.
So i was hoping i could just get a boost a pump and get er tuned for e85.
has anyone else done this on a similar returnless setup.
I just didnt wanna fork over the money and time diong a returnstyle setup or running fuel lines and changing the hat out.
thanks

Last edited:

03' White Snake

Established Member
I have the same setup with -8an feed, I just recently talked to my tuner about getting a second tune for e85. He says my setup will work for e85, but to be warned that GT pumpd and a BAP will loose drivability. He says he gets complaints from people running that setup. I have not done it yet, so I cannot comment on it.

bigmoose

Established Member
I talked to my tuner about going e85 with GT pumps and a BAP as well. He said the same thing, drivability will suffer but it can be done.

I decided to go full return and am glad i did. My car has never run this good on gas or e85. The fuel pressure on my return system is rock solid. This has such a big benefit to drivability. My on/off throttle transition is very smooth now. My return system is setup dead head with stock rails. I measure the pressure with a gauge at the end of the passenger rail.

JAYSVT06

Established Member
I wonder what kind of drive ability issues they're experiencing? I don't daily mine, but I definitely don't want a car that misses or dies at idle.

bigmoose

Established Member
From what i understand, fuel pressure fluctuations with a high flowing returnless setup cause your part throttle driving to.....not be smooth. With my GT pumps and a BAP i'd see fluctuations of +/- 5# at idle and part throttle. I also saw these effects on my wideband that would swing a bunch when cruising part throttle. With my steady return system now, my pressure is solid and my wideband barely moves around 14.7 on part throttle.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Definitely going to need a larger feed line. Did you hit 600 on Blankenship's dyno with your current setup? My car is in his shop right now for a similar setup and I would be thrilled to hit 600, but I don't see it happening on his dyno.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
I talked to my tuner about going e85 with GT pumps and a BAP as well. He said the same thing, drivability will suffer but it can be done.

I decided to go full return and am glad i did. My car has never run this good on gas or e85. The fuel pressure on my return system is rock solid. This has such a big benefit to drivability. My on/off throttle transition is very smooth now. My return system is setup dead head with stock rails. I measure the pressure with a gauge at the end of the passenger rail.

Hey moose I got the same set up on mine. Deadhead stock rails. Can you put the fore gauge on the end of the passenger or driver rail? Or do you have an aftermarket fuel gauge. Also sorry for hijack.

personally id go return and call it a day. People spend so much on returnless systems just go return and call it a day.

03' White Snake

Established Member

I bet we have the same tuner. I built my system to be able to be upgraded pretty easily. Next year I might convert to a full return setup.

03Steve

Established Member
I have the setup in my sig. It covers a 3.25/6lb on E85. I ran a 2.75/6lb and it wasn't enough. I would need more headroom with either modified FPDMs or the improved Ford GT pumps, possibly both.

There are no drivability issues with the GT pumps and BAP on my combo. There is also no Hobbs switch on the BAP, it is on full time. The fuel pump feed forward has been customized for the parts used.

Users who are viewing this thread