Can I cut the rear springs on my vert?

99FiveOh

Established Member
May sound like a stupid question but here's the deal. A buddy of mine has a pair of H&R springs he'll give me for the front of my car. Since I can't buy just the rears I thought about maybe cutting the rears to lower it. The stock vert rear springs are very soft so perhaps cutting them would lower the car and be just right as far as stiffness.

Of course I could be completely wrong, I'm new to these cars so I came here for expert advice! :thumbsup:

If I can cut them, how much do I cut for how much drop?

Thanks in advance guys!

braindontstop31

Established Member
Yes you can cut the rear vert springs. Be careful how much you cut. It will lower more than you think.
Measure your ride height first before cutting. I would start with a 1/4 coil or .25 turns. Reinstall and drive the car a little then check your ride height. Measure your new height and calculate how much your dropped. Do the math from there if you want to drop it more. (these springs are linear so it will drop the same amount if you cut the same amount) You can drop the rear about 1/2" by just removing the upper and lower rubber spring isolaters that are taped to the factory springs.

MattG04

Established Member
sounds like he'd be ahead to just buy springs. How hard are our cars to lower? I have the Eibach pro series still in the box waiting on my buddy to toss em in. Upon doing my exhaust last week it looked like its gonna be a pia to do. I have a lift also but still looks rough

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I've read, but have no personal experience that you shouldn't cut vert springs due to the different rates. Get yourself a used set of coupe springs and cut them.

braindontstop31

Established Member
I've read, but have no personal experience that you shouldn't cut vert springs due to the different rates. Get yourself a used set of coupe springs and cut them.

That is actually what I did was bought some coupe springs and cut them. Installed them, and cut a little more installed them and then bought HR race. I am a glutton for punishment. LOL

On the install, the rears are very easy and there are plenty of wright up on it. Install takes about 1 hour start to finish on rears max.

Users who are viewing this thread