Can HPTuners pull a custom tune from our PCMs?

Cobrakid

prefers quick, over fast!
Established Member
Hey guys, if I get HPT... Can I pull an SCT or Diablo custom tune off my car, and start tweaking from there?

My friend , says he has done it with a new Silverado, but not sure about Ford.

Please advise and thx!

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, it cant discern custom or stock when it takes a read of the PCM as far as I know.

Rhinogt

Established Member
Yes you can if the tune isn't locked like murfie said in the other forum. And no it doesn't care whether it's a stock tune or not. Hpt operates like windows explorer. You just pick a tune file in a folder to load, copy, whatever you want.

Turbo5.0

Established Member
I've read a few friends SCT files with HP Tuners and it seemed to read their files. How can one tell if the file is locked?

If the file was locked, would it not even read?

Rhinogt

Established Member
It would read but you wouldn't be able to do anything with it. If it's unlocked, you can modify it however you want.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I've read a few friends SCT files with HP Tuners and it seemed to read their files. How can one tell if the file is locked?

If the file was locked, would it not even read?

It takes quite a bit to 'lock' a tune. Typically the car has to be in the hands of the tuner to do so. That's why most of your bigger developers will no do email tunes on their newly developed technologies/innovations.

ZeroSVT

Established Member
Yes, HP Tuners can read out 05+ Tunes. However, head caution, do NOT use a SCT or Diablow tune as a base. They do not calculate things properly and will cause issues flashing the car and you could potentially brick the PCM.

Read out the SCT file, save. Then return the car to stock with the device, save. Then open the stock tune, and then the sct tune as a compare file, then merge changes. This method will preserve proper calibration data.

You can protect HP Tuner files by using our HPT lock.

Cheers,
-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread