Can anyone help me with this wiring mess?

arc00ta

Established Member
So a few days ago my '03 decided that the drivers window will not roll up. Banging by the motor didn't help, and I get the click under the dash that seems to be related to a bad auto-down module from most of the reading I've done on it. So I got the door panel off today and couldn't find the auto-down module at all.

While looking for some pics I realized my GEM is not is the same spot as others, mounted nicely up against the fuse box. Mine was shoved down beside the kick panel. I pulled off the panel and this is what I found.

Its safe to assume the auto-down module is gone, and I think the relay attached to the wires is doing that job, as the red wire from the auto-down is connected directly to the white/black for the window motor. Can anyone tell me what the white plug with two smaller plugs is for? I just want the stupid window to go up, so I may try wiring it to the passenger side switch and seeing if anything happens.

2012-02-24_09-51-07_663.jpg

2012-02-24_09-52-42_809.jpg

racebronco2

Established Member
I can almost bet what's in your hand s an aftermarket alarm system. The wires are probably spliced off of existing wiresand there should be some wires that are cut and sliced into the connector,

arc00ta

Established Member
I can almost bet what's in your hand s an aftermarket alarm system. The wires are probably spliced off of existing wiresand there should be some wires that are cut and sliced into the connector,

Ok, so I don't have to worry about those and can probably remove them?

Also, is it going to damage anything if I apply 12v directly from the battery to the window motor to see if it still works?

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
I'm pretty sure there is no auto down module/ one touch relay. It does it all in the GEM. Make sure all the fuses for the gem are o.k. Then check the door jamb boot for a broken wire. 12v to the motor is ok. you will need a gnd too. dont do it with the connector plugged in. if it doesnt go up one way, reverse the wires and try it.

That mess is definately an aftermarket alarm remote start or something along those lines. If you remove it, follow the wires and inspect the splice area. Some connections they make for them are to CUT the wire and one side goes to a wire on the new harness and the other half to another wire on the new harness. Had one I took out once and just cut the wires and removed the box. Then the door ocks quit. Had to find the splice and re-connect the original wires. Good luck

Last edited:

arc00ta

Established Member
I'm pretty sure there is no auto down module/ one touch relay. It does it all in the GEM. Make sure all the fuses for the gem are o.k. Then check the door jamb boot for a broken wire. 12v to the motor is ok. you will need a gnd too. dont do it with the connector plugged in. if it doesnt go up one way, reverse the wires and try it.

That mess is definately an aftermarket alarm remote start or something along those lines. If you remove it, follow the wires and inspect the splice area. Some connections they make for them are to CUT the wire and one side goes to a wire on the new harness and the other half to another wire on the new harness. Had one I took out once and just cut the wires and removed the box. Then the door ocks quit. Had to find the splice and re-connect the original wires. Good luck

Yeah there is a lot of splices in there. I think I may end up re-wiring that section. If its all in the GEM then its bad, because it just clicks when I try to go down but does nothing when I try to go up. I swapped the wires on the switches to the passenger window that works and it does the same thing, window won't move and just clicks when I push down. I'm going to try to just bypass the GEM for the driver window for the time being so I can roll it up at least.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I found a similar setup in my cobra a few years back. One of the dealers I went to at the time said it was for a dealer installed alarm. Your install/connections all look the same as what is on mine. I just left it alone.

I bought my cobra used in Cali, can't think of the dealer tho. It was around the bay area though.

Users who are viewing this thread